• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back to square one

I think that the office workers should take a class on how to react to different personalities. Especially when the office was aware of the entire situation. I did speak to a woman in the dentist office where I go and she could not believe they called. She asked me for her name and was going to call there to speak to the woman that called and upset me. I had another nightmare last night. I did not sleep well at all again. I hate feeling this way. What a lot of people do not understand is that when you have a very large fear the kindness on the other end of the phone makes a huge difference in either calming you or making you feel worse. My emotions are all over the place and my anxiety is quite high. I am sure a lot of kind people here can understand what that feels like. You do not know where to put yourself or what to do with yourself. Your mind is constantly worrying and it is NOT an easy thing to turn off. Thanks especially to terrifedwoman, nervousnellie and stress doc for the constant support. I know I have been 'bugging' all of you and you all are patient and supportive. :XXLhug:

This is just a minor set-back queenoffear. You are strong enough to get your confidence back. If you've done it once, you'll do it again.
You are the same person that got to grips with this fear, so you can again.
What people say to us can have a massive effect on our confidence, but they were WRONG to say what they did, so please just try and focus on being strong like before, and not what some prat said.
xxxxx

Hi queenoffear, please update us when you can and let us know how your appointment went this morning!
:hug2:
-nellie

Hope all our chatting yesterday helped the day go by a bit easier. Been thinking about you today and hoping everything went well! :XXLhug:

I did it!!!!!!!!!!! ;DI actually had five teeth removed this morning. I wanted to run in the other direction, shook and cried most of the morning but I actually did it. So far I feel ok. Details more than likely to follow when I am not so dizzy.

Terrified woman and nervousnellie70,

I just want you to know that I sent each of you private messages. I cannot thank you both enough for the help and support. If it were not for both of you I do not know what I would have done. You are a tremendous support. You are kind and understanding and you both went way out of your way to help me. Terrified woman you were there all night last night and you have no idea how much that meant to me. Nothing I said to either of you sounded silly or stupid. You treated me with respect and kindness and eased all of my fears. I am not tired but a little loopy. I am going to put some ice on my right side. That happens to be the worst side. I will try and post my experience later. The worst part were my small veins. It took nine times for them to get the IV in. They tried both hands and both arms. Despite the numbing spray he used I still felt it. The nurse rubbed my shoulder each time which helped ease it some. I want to thank everyone for your help and support. A very special thanks to terrifiedwoman and nervousnellie70 and Stress Doc. Everyone on this site is so helpful. I do have some questions I will post as well when I am not so dizzy and looped. I better go ice my right side. Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart. What you have done for me will always remain in my heart. :-*

You did it!!! :yay: I'm so glad to see your update!

-nellie

:jump: So proud of you! Glad we could help. :respect:

Thanks for the support. I managed to sit some carnation instant breakfast this morning. The pain pills are making me dizzy. They might be helping but it is hard to tell. My right side bottom feels swollen and sort of puffy but I do not see any swelling. I do not dare look in my mouth or I will be on the floor. ha ha. I did not sleep well last night either. It was sort of tough keeping my head elevated when I am not used to it.

As you know from the previous post he could not find a vein for the iv. I did end up having two iv's in my arm. The oral surgeon said he gave me a lot of medicine. I vaguely recall some noises of some type but that is about it. I remember the nurse telling me I was a good patient after the procedure. I kept wanting to close my eyes after I was done but she said I had to keep them open. Then she asked me if I could feel my feet and to swing my legs around to see if I felt stable enough to get up. I think I walked to the car myself with the assistance of my significant other. I do not remember any after care instructions but I do have a sheet on them. It says nothing about moist heat. Does anyone know if I can put some on? I know I cannot do the ice any longer. The oral surgeon gave me more pills in addition to what my dentist gave me. He said there was no infection so I am wondering if I should finish the penicillin or not. He said I did not have to but I sure do not want it coming back. Overall the IV sedation was great other than my tiny veins. I do not remember feeling pain at all. Everyone here was a huge help to me. I will keep you updated on my recovery. I drooled a little when I got home and just held a small towel under my mouth. I was a little numb but not as bad as I thought it would be. I can still taste some oozing from the right side. I am not sure if I should use more gauze or leave it be. I am going to try and gently brush at least some of my teeth and mabe start the warm salt water rinses. I do not want to get a dry socket so I am leary of things. The sun is out here but I would like to try and sleep some. Thanks for the support and for giving me the strength to go to the appointment. I cannot believe I actually made it there and home. Am I still fearful? YES. I think I always will be but I made it pretty far I think. That is something to be proud of. Thanks again to everyone and those three very special people who went above and beyond for me. :-*:hug2:

Hi Queen

You did it!!!! :yay::yay::yay: That is awesome. I knew you could. You have much to be proud of and this is a turning point for you. Regarding your question about moist heat. Ice is best for the first day. After 24-36 hours, ice has no beneficial effect. Thirty-six hours following surgery the application of heat to the sides of the face is beneficial in reducing jaw stiffness and residual swelling. A washcloth in warm water works well. Any swelling should go away after a couple of days.

You experience will help many people to face their fears. I think a change of name is in order, from queenoffear to queenofhope. Thank you for sharing your story and for helping others. Relax and heal well.

Blessings :)

I am so glad you had such a good time. IV has made a dramatic change in my life with dental work and I no longer have a (great) fear of having extractions, although I am still a little nervous about it, at least IV has tamed it down to manageable levels, and at least thats good enough for me!!

Well done & Congrats

:respect::respect::respect:

Well done!
There are so many people on here now posting how they are overcoming their fears, so I hope you are giving courage and confidence to those people that still feel too scared. I hope you are encouraging them to get treatment, now they can see it's never as bad as you think it will be!
Well done again!!
xxx ;D

I will certainly do my best to help others. So many people helped me that I feel it is the very least I can do.

My jaw is quite sore and so is the right side of my mouth. It feels worse than yesterday. I do not have much of an appetite. I did eat a little yogurt.

Does anyone know if I can use moist heat? I called the surgeon but she said "well isn't it on the sheet?" If it was I would not be calling. It said ice for 24 hours. I have been trying to rinse with salt water gently. My jaw just aches and my top teeth (well where they were). Sometimes I can feel it into my right ear. I am hoping it is not a dry socket. The pain pills are not really cutting it. I can feel the gums swollen but I do not dare look. :o I save that for my significant other to do.

Any ideas on what to eat? Not much sounds good to me except everything I cannot eat of course. If I see yogurt again I think I will just be ill. :sick: I am not a huge fan of it but I have been eating it a bit. Would spaghettios be ok? It feels weird to swallow as well. Maybe I should have some ice cream.

I am afraid to floss my teeth. I brushed them but should I wait to floss. It is not that easy to open my jaw up. I can do it but not that far. Thanks everyone for all your advice. I do appreciate the help.

It just shows the amount of conflicting advice which is around about eating after extractions. I always used to eat mushy foods, but after an extraction which went bad, I was told to eat 'solid' foods to minimise anything going into the hole and getting trapped and infected, and recently someone said it really doesn't matter. I not would eat or drink anything which was boling hot or freezing cold, just to be on the safe side.

A few days after my extraction, the wadding which the dentist used to plug the hole fell out and I think this dislodged the clot in the socket. The pain afterwards was really bad as I thought I was in for a pull blown Dry Socket. But it eased off after some hours and everything was ok.

But what I found to ease the pain (I don't know if this is right or wrong) was to rest the side of the extraction on a hot water bottle which was not hot, but luke warm. It did ease the pain and I even managed to catch up with sleep a bit.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. It sure does make for long nights being up in pain. Sometimes movies just do not cut it. I can just feel how swollen the gums are. The left side where I had one upper wisdom tooth out is great. I do not even feel any pain there. The right side where I had two wisdom teeth out and then the molars in front of both are causing the pain and annoyance. I am not playing with it but if I drink I can feel how swollen the gums are. I read the bill (which I should not have) and three were normal extractions and one was a surgical and the other was a surgical partial bony. Half of the bill I do not understand so once I can talk better I will call and ask. I still have that funny taste in my mouth. I did manage some ice cream and carnation instant breakfast. I think I might try moist heat. I do not see how much damage it can do. I am trying to rest but am growing quite bored of watching TV and watching everyone eat in front of me. They are eating steak and potato chips and dip, nachos and cheese and bbq chicken. I have no appetite for the jello and pudding and yogurt I can eat. To bad yogurt does not come in those flavors. :) I was going to try some plain broth. I had some tea this morning but drank it lukewarm. I am just trying to avoid a dry socket. My sister had two and said they are painful. I believe mine are stitched but I am to chicken to look. They dissolve on their own but I do not want to risk anything getting in. I am gently rinsing with the salt water as well. Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it.