• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First Appointment

I

iriam

17 years, badly stained teeth, complete fear and horror oh, and the disintegrating tooth. Not to mention the self treatment for the last four to five years on the left hand side of my mouth towards the back.
Ok.
So.....first appointment was Wednesday. I went and from the moment I stepped over the door I kept crying. Partly through the fear but also because I felt like a complete idiot for being so scared.....making sense so far?? She was wonderful. Took my history then at MY pace managed to do a sort of examination.....I now have a dental record!!!
So I have six appointments, a dental plan and I have paid up front. My appointmants at first are to be only 15 minutes long to get me used to the room, atmosphere, sounds etc. I couldn't have asked for better. Everyone there, the receptionist, nurse etc., couldn't have been nicer and kept telling me how good it was I had taken a first step.
Today my other half had a hygeinist appointment and I went and sat in the waiting room and apart from the odd moment I didn't panic and I could hear the machines etc.

The down side of all this is that I need at least one extraction and probably a plate but at the end of the day if I can save the rest of them, and be able to smile without being embarrassed then it'll be worth it.....(She says my teeth are cleanable...I did question that but she is adamant!!!!)

So there you have it. The beginnings of my success story. Next appointment 19th October....watch this space!!!

WOW, sounds like you couldn't have found a better place to go. Also, you got very encouraging news. I'm proud of you for taking that first most difficult step. I'll look forward to your progress.

Nice job and kudos to your dentist for the slow and easy!

Well the 19th of October passed and I went and she did a very small temporary dressing as she called it on the disintegrating tooth. Next appointment 2nd November, intention to do some cleaning which was what she intended to do but the filling thing took precedence.
By Friday that had fallen out and on Monday, yesterday, the tooth cracked when I bit into something. It cracked right up at the gum line and was very loose. So taking my courage in both hands I phoned for an emergency appointment and went this afternoon. Oh, by the way, I saved the tooth till 11 last night when I sneezed and it fell out!!! Even had mashed potatoes for dinner last night!

This afternoon I had a temporary crown fitted, she drilled a wee bit, put a metal post in and fitted the crown and none of it was as bad as it always had been in my head!!!!!! I didn't even have an injection.

It will never be easy but I am coming to terms with having to go and I will never let what is left of my real teeth get into this state again.

I actually find it difficult to believe that I even had the courage to phone when the tooth broke.

Shall keep you posted, after all, I have appointments every two weeks till January!!

I do believe that if I can do it many others can...as I say it's been 17 years and my teeth are badly stained as I'm also an ex smoker. If I can help anyone then please don't hesitate to get in touch.
The secret is to find a dentist who actually cares about helping the phobic in this world and this one I have found does.
She is worth her weight in gold!!!

Oh, I totally agree with you on that, iriam!!!
My dentist is the same way, in fact all his staff are. They can sense when I need a break without me even having to ask!!
If I could have found a caring dentist years ago, I WOULD have went faithfully twice a year!!!:mad:
Glad you found one that cares!!!
Looking forward to reading more about your progress!!
:hug2:'s,
Jen

Well done.:respect:

I think you will be surprised at how well your teeth will clean up. Mine were very stained after years of drinking coffee all day, every day, plus I didn't even brush for the past 20+ years, (yes awful I know :redface:). What I thought was decay on some teeth just polished right off, I was stunned :o. Now I have reasonable teeth again I'm cleaning them twice a day without fail.

It sounds as if your dentist is the caring type, starting you off on short appointments. I'm sure you will come out smiling at the end, (sorry bad pun).