• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mouth prop (bite-block): Friend or Foe?

Mouth prop/bite-block....Friend or Foe?

• Great Invention!

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Hmmm... Not sure/I would have to try it out.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • No way! Not for me!

Votes: 17 50.0%

• Total voters
kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi everyone!

Just recently my dentist tried a new technique with me to help keep my lip from shaking uncontrollably as it usually does (a lot) at the start of treatment. She explained that sometimes by biting down on something, it can relax your whole mouth almost instantly so she suggested we try a mouth-prop or bite-block. Basically, it's a small piece of rubber which you bite on (on the side that's not being worked on) and it props the mouth open for treatment without you having to actively hold your jaw open. Having control issues, I was unsure of not having the option to close my mouth but surprisingly (with a designated and trusted stop signal), it worked really well for me! Although I admit it took a few minutes to adjust to it has thus far been the only method which relaxes my mouth enough that my lips do not tremble uncontrollably. In turn, it actually relaxes my whole mouth and jaw making any procedure generally, more comfortable and tolerable. The great thing about being able to fully relax my mouth is that it, in a way, has an effect on the rest of me and I find that I generally relax and calm down much quicker than usual after treatment begins. It sits pretty far forward in the mouth so gagging usually isn't an issue but I've read that some people absolutely cannot tolerate this device for longer than a few seconds without it inducing panic. With that said, I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

Kitkat

My dentist used one (soft spongy one) the first time i had treatment with him and I found it helped me as you have described. For some reason though (maybe to do with position in the mouth) he hasn't used it since not even for a root canal...maybe it would have been in the way alongside the rubber dam.

Think it probably helps those with TMJ issues as it takes the strain off the jaw holding work for them.

I'm happy to do whatever dentist feels is appropriate within reason because they are the one with the awkward job of doing intricate work in a confined space...with one proviso:

I would not be happy to be subjected to things like the 'molt mouth prop' (never seen them used in UK) as first seen in an episode of 'ICarly' on Kids' TV. Looks like a medieval torture device and really is removing control from the patient as it is anchored in...whereas the bite block you described, you could easily remove yourself if you wanted to.

I would not be happy to be subjected to things like the 'molt mouth prop' (never seen them used in UK) as first seen in an episode of 'ICarly' on Kids' TV. Looks like a medieval torture device and really is removing control from the patient as it is anchored in...whereas the bite block you described, you could easily remove yourself if you wanted to.

My dentist uses the soft, spongy ones as well (thank goodness!). I'm glad to see someone else has experienced similar benefits from this...I don't think it's used very commonly, she's only used it with me on one occasion and that was only because I was shaking especially bad, but I may request it in the future if she doesn't mind (if it doesn't get in the way of her work). I agree that it could benefit TMJ patients as well, especially with longer procedures, it would really take the stress off the jaw muscles.

I actually had to Google what it was you were referring to with the "molt prop" and WOW!!! that device really does look like a "medieval torture device". Just looking at pictures of the instrument made me feel a little queasy! I have never seen one of those in person (although I get the feeling it was developed in the USA) but I'm pretty sure that if my dentist approached me with that, I'd run (no matter how much I trusted her!). Just to clarify, for this poll I'm referring to the less threatening "soft and squishy" ones :)....NOT the "molt" kind...that would be a "no way! not for me!" vote as well. The soft and squishy ones can at least be spit out at a moments notice in case there is an urgent need, it's more being held there by the patient's compliance/choice to hold it there than anything else. I guess this is why the control issues didn't come into play for me with these.

I've had both used on me. I actually woke up from IV sedation after an extraction with a molt mouth prop in. It alarmed me and I grunted. The OS took it right out, but when I saw him next time, that's exactly how I described it- "do not let me wake up with midieval torture devices in my mouth."

I had the soft bite block under a rubber dam for a retreatment. While it did help my jaw stay relax, not being able to talk was very frustrating and started to feel stifling/suffocating after a while.

The OS took it right out, but when I saw him next time, that's exactly how I described it- "do not let me wake up with midieval torture devices in my mouth."

LOL I rest my case.....scary they actually use them though....the 'ICarly' tv episode was weird...it looked like the patient had swallowed a pair of scissors and one of my kids said 'do dentists really do that to people?'
In my naivety I said 'no of course not' 'that's a typical example of the programme makers exaggerating to get (scared) laughs'
Then I googled mouth props and to my horror saw the thing....I've had loads of dental treatment and have never ever seen one...so hopefully it stays on your side of the pond at least when the patient is conscious.

It seems like it may be one of those outdated instruments that maybe just never went away...not sure when it was developed. I could only see this instrument being used when the patient is COMPLETELY unconcious as in under GA, in the hospital. Other than that, it's use does not seem at all appropriate or tolerable. RP, I am glad that the oral surgeon instantly removed this tool when he had realized that you had woke up. I wonder why they left the prop in AFTER the procedure? usually after extractions aren't you told to bite down immediately??? that's all I remember from my wisdom teeth extractions. I was coming around to the nurse telling me "close down! bite down!" but my mouth was soo numb I had no idea if it was opened or closed (which I consider a blessing!).

I actually did come across this device being used with a very upset, concious child on youtube (young girl maybe 4 or so). I don't recommend watching it, she'll probably end up on this board one day looking for support....it's about as disturbing as the papoose videos. She wasn't really struggling hard but she was clearly upset and the adults (mom and dentist) in the room just kept saying "I know! we're almost done!" and continued without really acknowledging the fact that she might not be numb. I saw a second video with a child and a HORRIFIC dentist (ignored pain reactions during extraction, told him "to quit acting", was rude, borderline abusive... Anyway, the most disturbing part is people were commenting about what a quack this guy is and to report him and go elsewhere and the mom replied to the comments by coming to the dentist's defense about how "he gets the job done!" and "does his job technically well" ...but at what price?! traumatizing children for life??? both videos appeared to take place in the USA so that backs up what Brit had said earlier over in the pediatric threads we were discussing in previously!!!

Brit, I'm surprised they aired something like that on a kids show! I know that kid shows (actually most shows) have a bad rep for making dental procedures seem more frightening and dreadful than they are, but the most recent shows I have seen are usually about how in the end, "the dentist isn't really so scary after all!". I guess not in this case. I have to applaud Bill Cosby though he did and EXCELLENT episode about children overcoming fear of the dentist in a very non-threatening way (best representation I've seen so far actually). Very honest, informational, and free of scare tactics. This was back when he had his own sitcom...not his stand-up comedy, although he does a funny dentist bit in one of those stand up acts as well! :)

But I digress... so anyways, as I was saying...I really like the 'squishy' ones! lol

It seems like it may be one of those outdated instruments that maybe just never went away...not sure when it was developed. I could only see this instrument being used when the patient is COMPLETELY unconcious as in under GA, in the hospital. Other than that, it's use does not seem at all appropriate or tolerable. RP, I am glad that the oral surgeon instantly removed this tool when he had realized that you had woke up. I wonder why they left the prop in AFTER the procedure? usually after extractions aren't you told to bite down immediately??? that's all I remember from my wisdom teeth extractions. I was coming around to the nurse telling me "close down! bite down!" but my mouth was soo numb I had no idea if it was opened or closed (which I consider a blessing!).

I actually did come across this device being used with a very upset, concious child on youtube (young girl maybe 4 or so). I don't recommend watching it, she'll probably end up on this board one day looking for support....it's about as disturbing as the papoose videos. She wasn't really struggling hard but she was clearly upset and the adults (mom and dentist) in the room just kept saying "I know! we're almost done!" and continued without really acknowledging the fact that she might not be numb. I saw a second video with a child and a HORRIFIC dentist (ignored pain reactions during extraction, told him "to quit acting", was rude, borderline abusive... Anyway, the most disturbing part is people were commenting about what a quack this guy is and to report him and go elsewhere and the mom replied to the comments by coming to the dentist's defense about how "he gets the job done!" and "does his job technically well" ...but at what price?! traumatizing children for life??? both videos appeared to take place in the USA so that backs up what Brit had said earlier over in the pediatric threads we were discussing in previously!!!

Brit, I'm surprised they aired something like that on a kids show! I know that kid shows (actually most shows) have a bad rep for making dental procedures seem more frightening and dreadful than they are, but the most recent shows I have seen are usually about how in the end, "the dentist isn't really so scary after all!". I guess not in this case. I have to applaud Bill Cosby though he did and EXCELLENT episode about children overcoming fear of the dentist in a very non-threatening way (best representation I've seen so far actually). Very honest, informational, and free of scare tactics. This was back when he had his own sitcom...not his stand-up comedy, although he does a funny dentist bit in one of those stand up acts as well! :)

But I digress... so anyways, as I was saying...I really like the 'squishy' ones! lol
The dentist wasn't horrible in the ICarly episode but the mouth prop was a shock and the patient making lots of gagging noises with it in was one of the (inappropriate) jokes. As a nervous person you could have thought he wasn't comfortable and maybe not numb but I don't think that was the intention.

The dentist wasn't horrible in the ICarly episode but the mouth prop was a shock and the patient making lots of gagging noises with it in was one of the (inappropriate) jokes. As a nervous person you could have thought he wasn't comfortable and maybe not numb but I don't think that was the intention.

Well, that's good at least! still out of all of the tools in a dentist's office, they choose that one as their "prop" for the scene? (no pun intended! lol). I might have to actually see the scene to get the gist of it.

Despite all the progress I have made with Dr. Katy over the ;ast 18 months, this device still strikes terror in my heart. This devce was a favorite with the horror dentists of my childhood and adolescent years. This came right after the tongue depressor that was used to force my mouth open as I was held down in the chair.
I have made it very very clear to Dr. Katy that she can NEVER use this on me. And she hasnt.

Thanks for sharing that drummerswife, I appreciate all of the different perspectives. I'm sorry to hear this device has caused you so much trauma in the past, but I am glad that you have found a dentist that works with you and understands your difficulties. I'm unclear as to whether you are speaking of the soft squishy blocks or the medieval looking torture device?

But I find it interesting how a device's initial introduction and application can make all the difference in how 2 people can perceive the same item. For instance, when it was first introduced to me, it was serving as a benefit to both myself and the dentist and it was at my consent. The combination of these factors helped me to perceive it as non-threatening and comfortable. Whereas obviously, if this device was initially used for the purpose of over-riding your control to carry out various procedures without your consent, it would DEFINITELY be considered a threat and a fear-inducing device because of the past experiences. Come to think of it, my dentist has actually used the same type of non-threatening introductions with a lot of other instruments and it has always worked VERY well with helping me cope and tolerate them. Not necessarily "tell-show-do" but just point blank: this is what I'm going to do, this is my reason why, this is what you may expect to experience with it, don't be frightened by it but if you do feel uncomfortable just let me know... It's really not a complicated solution (if addressed early), if only this was done early on, by everyone, all of the time, I bet dental fears would decrease exponentially! In a perfect world I suppose...

The one I m talking about was made of metal and clamped onto your teeth. It was a horror.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one I m talking about was made of metal and clamped onto to your teeth. It was a horror.

You poor thing! That sounds horrific! :( My dentist only uses a small, soft and squishy block that you hold between your teeth (by choice) which comfortably holds the mouth open (it is very different)...no metal or "clamping" is going on at anytime and I'm free to remove it myself if I'd like to; the only thing holding the block in is me and my own jaw muscles to bite down on it. I can't imagine being confronted with the device you speak of, I would probably never agree to that, even with a dentist that I HIGHLY trust. Although so far every case I've heard of involving this device was not really a scenario involving consent (either forced or not awake). I think maybe dentists who believe in a strong trusting relationship are less likely to use these and consider them inappropriate in treatment as it does take away a patients control in a big way. I can't really think of a scenario where this would be absolutely necessary for a patient who is awake...it just seems like an awful behavior modification tool to me which is outdated and fear inducing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The molt prop was never used on me, thank God! I just used the soft, rubbery bite-block during my last dentist visit. My jaw was getting tired from holding it open for 2 hours. My dentist asked me if I wanted to try the bite block. I did and it made it easier for me to keep my mouth open. I could move it around and push it out if I wanted to (I didn't).
I wouldn't classify the soft bite block as a torture device....it really helped me.

I wouldn't classify the soft bite block as a torture device....it really helped me.

I agree 100%! :) The molt ones however, are another story...

You poor thing! That sounds horrific! :( My dentist only uses a small, soft and squishy block that you hold between your teeth (by choice) which comfortably holds the mouth open (it is very different)...no metal or "clamping" is going on at anytime and I'm free to remove it myself if I'd like to; the only thing holding the block in is me and my own jaw muscles to bite down on it. I can't imagine being confronted with the device you speak of, I would probably never agree to that, even with a dentist that I HIGHLY trust. Although so far every case I've heard of involving this device was not really a scenario involving consent (either forced or not awake). I think maybe dentists who believe in a strong trusting relationship are less likely to use these and consider them inappropriate in treatment as it does take away a patients control in a big way. I can't really think of a scenario where this would be absolutely necessary for a patient who is awake...it just seems like an awful behavior modification tool to me which is outdated and fear inducing.

I completely agree with what you said. I think possibly the ONLY time the molt prop could be used is when a patient is not awake. I don't know if my former dentist used one while I was having my extractions done under IV sedation and neither do I care to know (I have no memory of it, if it was used, thank God).

Last edited:
I'm so afraid of the dentist that by the time I go I'm already in excrutiating pain and my affected tooth/teeth are so sensitive that it is incredibly additionally painful to bite down on that thing.

I've never yet known a dentist to use any of these devices. Maybe I'm just good at keeping my mouth open ?

There is a metal device which is sometimes screw clamped to a single tooth in order to help shape a filling, but I don't think that's what you're all talking about here.

John

I think they call that a band, John. The mouth prop keeps the whole mouth open

Yes, RP is correct. The thing John is referring to is a matrix band which holds the tooth shape for fillings, where the bite-block is used to prop open the entire mouth. Oddly enough I don't mind the bite-block but I hate the band! I will tolerate it, but I cannot stand the sensation of extreme pressure that it creates in/around the tooth. Fortunately, it usually isn't left on for long and my dentist warns me about the pressure sensation beforehand.

Nope to scary for me! if i can close my mouth at any time i will start to panic and then cry.

Back