• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

First dental appt. in 11 years

C

cakehead

*Long Post Warning*

Hi everyone. First I'm going to tell you about my dental history. I'm 25, and up until the last dental visit at 14, I had one very small cavity and it was nothing. I used to go to the dentist's regularly because my dad had awesome insurance that covered everything. I had braces at 12, and they put a sealant on my teeth when I got them off. Since then, I haven't been back because I developed panic disorder and agoraphobia soooo bad. Nothing ever happened at the dentists, I was never scared and never in pain. I even liked it.

Then I turned 21, and my wisdom teeth grew in. All came in normally except for one on the bottom, it's pushing into the one in front of it badly, so now both teeth must be removed.

The other three wisdoms have massive painful cavities, and all of my other molars have ones that look very small.

This past summer, I started grinding my teeth because of major stress. I have no round cusps on any of my molars now, but I'm hoping they can build them up without crowns. My front teeth and premolars look and feel fine to me, but who really knows.

I'm upset because I can't get more than $1,000 from care credit and no other place will give me a loan or credit :( No insurance also. Our dental school is 2 hours away and I have no ride, plus I doubt I could ever allow that many people around me without severe anxiety.

I've canceled consultations with different oral surgeons at least 3 times and feel like an idiot.

I'm just so overwhelmed. I'm afraid with the cost of the wisdom teeth and my lack of credit I'll never be able to afford the treatment i need on my molars. Or at least it won't be in time to prevent my teeth from needing root canals and/or crowns.

Do oral surgeons ever just do all the dental treatment? Like, I could go to him, and he can figure out a treatment plan and either send me to someone or do it all himself? Because after I have those wisdoms out with anesthesia, I'll have used my entire care credit limit. The dentist will likely want to give me a full exam and xrays as well. $$$

I was hoping I could get a total dental treatment plan and cost from the surgeon, and beg my family to help me get a single loan for all this instead of using care credit. Or even work out a payment plan with the office. Also, I want to get IV sedation or even pills and have them do as much as possible at once.

Hopefully my idea isn't too ridiculous or impossible. I'm just so stressed and can't imagine having to meet all these new people, go to so many appts. (I'm lucky to make it to one!) I work at home and make decent money, but I just don't have thousands up front and won't for at least 6 months or more. By then, with this level of stress and anxiety, my teeth will be worn down to the gum. I brush twice a day, rinse with water after every meal or snack, and use Listerine and Act plus pure xylitol after I eat. Hopefully my teeth will survive until I find a way get the work done.

Any advice, suggestions or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.

Hello ;D
I'm sure there will be people on here that are based in America that can give you some good advice on getting the care you need.
The most important thing is you want to get this sorted.
Where there's a will there's a way, as they say!
You are upset right now so everything seems worse.
Once you find out how to get this treatment I know you'll feel calmer and happier.
Being in the UK I don't know about dental care in the USA, but just wanted to say good luck anyway, and hope you will find out the best thing to do from people on here, who are really cool and helpful!
xxx ;) ;D

I am so sorry about your financial situation. I have dental insurance but it did not cover my oral surgeon or my sedation dentist. I had to put it on care credit and on my GM and Discover Card. I know dental work is quite expensive. I wish I had some advice for you. I work from home as well but my significant other works outside the home. I have a pretty descent limit on the care credit. Thank goodness my grandmother paid it off for me (almost $12,000) and I have it back up at about $2500. Did you try a bank loan? I am not sure if you own a home but maybe home equity loan? I am not real good at those things but maybe they are options. I am not sure where you live but if we lived in the same state (I am in the USA) I would be more than happy to give you a ride. How about signing an IOU with your family and paying them as you would a bank loan? I know it is tough to ask family sometimes but they can be supportive. I am not sure if oral surgeons do all types of dental treatments. It does not hurt to ask. I do know the health credit card I am using now is 6 months interest free. I am so sorry I could not help you more. If you need to talk please write. Bless you.:XXLhug:

Hi there,

Just take one small step at a time. You don't have to have it all figured out at once, or do everything.

If your wisdom teeth are the most important thing right now, and it sounds like they are, and you have the carecredit/money for it, then just start with that.

Set up a consultation (ask over the phone how much this will cost), find out how much your wizzies will cost, and get it started. Once that's done, even with your carecredit money gone, you'll feel better. It'll be one less thing to think about, and then you just need to save some money for your general dentistry stuff. All you'll really need to save for is the cleaning and a check up (shouldn't be very much). Then they'll tell you what your treatment will cost, and discuss payment with you, and you can just pay a little at a time to get what you can done.

If you are grinding, get a 25 dollar night guard at the drug store for now :)

little little steps! You'll get there!

Thanks for the help and support guys.

I guess I'll just take it one step at a time, and get rid of these wisdom teeth first. They've been causing me so much pain. Hopefully when they're gone I'll have more courage to take care of the rest.

Back