Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you address your dentist?

Aaron_T Guest

Default How do you address your dentist?

Just curious how others address their dentist. Sir/mam, doctor, etc....
      Also curious as to how the dentists on here prefer to be addressed.....

I think I have only said hi and thank you, without "properly" addressing mine.

Default Re: How do you address your dentist?

Interesting one... I'll make that a sticky post ! Actually, I think a lot of it has to do with geography... things like &quotoc", &quotoctor so-and-so" or "Sir/Madam" might be more common in the US/Canada , whereas in the UK/Ireland, it's more common to use the first name (i.e. Christian name)? One e-mail correspondence I've had lead me to believe so, I'll have to dig it out...

Anyway - I'd be interested in hearing how everyone else addresses their dentist, and what dentists reckon!

Here's my vote: first name
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

Guest Guest

When you practice dentistry for a living, it is necessary to constantly introduce yourself to patients. On my information form that patients fill out, I ask "how do you like to be addressed?"
      I will greet the patient using the name they like to be called and then introduce myself as "Glenn Hanf". for example: "Sandra, good morning. I am Glenn Hanf. How are you this morning?" or something to that affect.
      Personally, I don't really care what my patients call me. Some call me "Glenn" some &quotr. Glenn" some &quotr. Hanf". How I am addressed really doesn't matter to me. They all know that I am the Dr., afterall they are in MY office.

Don't know how to address your Dr? Just ask him/her. It's a good conversation starter.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn D2THDOC(Guest)
      Don't know how to address your Dr? *Just ask him/her. *It's a good conversation starter.
      That is what I did. For the longest time I had no idea how to address my dentist so I never would. When I asked him, he said that he preferred &quotr. Last Name", but since his last name can be hard to pronounce, it was ok to address him as Dr. "E" (last name, first initial). Even his staff addresses him this way.

I suppose it will vary by dentist.

Guest Guest

I tend to address my dentist -and staff - in the office .by their first name -...and that seems to personsalize the communication process..... .as it seems to eliminate/reduce the power trip/ego trip. After all...dentists ARE human beings -rather than titles...but some have to have that ego massaged!!!!!!!In the end -what works for me as a communication style is what is paramount -after all I AM paying for that professional,s service-and I cant afford communications lapses.Too risky!!!!!! /me

Guest Guest

personally i feel more comfortable with Dr Singh or whatever. not that "comfortable" is the right word.

Guest Guest

I was addressing him as Dr. so-and-so because I felt (and still do feel) that it's respectful of his degree and education. However, one day he called me to see how I was doing after a procedure and he started the phone call with "This is Tim". In fact, it took me a moment to figure out who the heck "Tim" was.

So I figure that if he's cool addressing me by using his first name, then there's no reason why I shouldn't be equally cool about using his name. So "Tim" it is!

OhSusannah Guest

it depends...in the past i've had a couple of dentists who were family friends, so we were already on first-name basis. with my new doc, whom i've only known for several weeks, i began by calling him &quotr. T---" until he indicated that "JT" -- his nickname--would be okay to use.

lol, he's so young (relative to me) and soooooo good-looking that today i teased and said, "hi, handsome." he blushed, but i'd bet he's heard it his whole life. i feel that comfortable with him, but since he seemed embarrassed, i might not do that again. it probably sounded wierd coming from a woman almost old enuf to be his mom.

it's changed over time with most docs, too, in that they're now mostly my peers or younger, so first names don't seem disrespectful.

My previous dentist was always referred to by her first name by her staff. For example, they'd phone me up and say it was to remind me of my appointment with "Teresa" next Thursday. So, I called her by her first name as well.

With my current dentist, the staff always refer to him as Dr [surname] when they talk to me. So, I took my cue from that and always address him as Dr [surname]. I would prefer to address him by his first name though.

G.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've never actually addressed any of the dentists I've seen (only 3 so far!) by any name. But then again, none of them introduced themselves to me either so I haven't had anything to take a cue from .

Obviously I know my current dentist's name, but as for how to address him, I wouldn't have a clue! I suppose because all the records are computerised, they know the name of their patient and the patient obviously knows who they are so maybe there's no need for names to be used? If I ever needed to make a phone call, I'm not sure what name I'd refer to him by if I had to ask to speak to him!
      Designer. Copywriter. Hypnotherapist. NLP Practitioner. Bookworm. iPhone worshipper. Tea drinker. Insomniac. Caffiene addict. Derren Brown fan.