• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction today - Really worried!

S

sayahhh

Hey everyone, I went to the dentist 2 weeks ago for the first time in 2 years. The reason being the last time I went to the dentist he shamed me and wouldnt believe that I brushed my teeth. I never went back. I'm terrified as it is and really didn't need that. The dentist I am with now is really nice, I told him that I was nervous etc and he was understanding. I have to go back in today at 2.30 (no joke lol) to get a back upper molar removed which is half at the gumline and I am terrified. It doesn't help with the fact that my husband has been telling me stories about when he had to get a back tooth removed it splintered and it took them 2 hours to remove it and that they didnt numb him properly and shoved the hook thing right into his nerve :censored:

The thing is he is very anti dentist and waits until he can't stand the pain anymore and just goes into the dental access centre in town., he believes dentists cause more than they fix and is just scoffing at me.

I'm scared :(

I had two (remnants) of teeth out yesterday. They were both broken down to the gumline. My appointment lasted in total 30 minutes, and that was including being injected, two fillings, and the two teeth being taken out.

It really isn't that bad at all. The only discomfort is the pressure, and the occasional sound but if you focus your mind on your favourite song, it'll pass in no time.

The extraction is the easiest part...it's the after part that sucks. =(.

Hi there!

This should help you - i'm just back from the dentist after a gap of almost twenty years and i had four extractions (back four top). Got the needle to freeze me, a few times - lost count after a while:) but, i can honestly say i felt nothing! A wee tiny scratch for the needle which is really nothing at all and a minor feeling of pulling when she was doing it. One was really tough to get out as it splintered but she explained what was happening and before i knew it all was done! It was really nothing on a pain scale and i'm actually looking forward to getting more out now to finally fix my teeth.

Don't worry about it but play the sympathy card for all it's worth when you get home - the husband deserves it for making you worry;)

I had 2 wisdoms taken out yesterday, right upper and lower. And i had it done with local. Numbing gel before the needle so i didn't even feel that. The only thing i felt was when the local was being set it and it just felt uncomfortable because it felt like my gum was swelling.

And that was it. The lower took longer because the pressure on my jaw felt bad, but the upper, which you are having, was done in 5 minutes. And i felt nothing. I just closed my eyes, opened my mouth, and started humming my favorite song.

Try to be as relaxed as possible, because it is not THAT bad. And even after the extraction the pain meds were so good, i felt little to no pain. Im just swollen :)
:hug2::hug2::hug2: So don't worry too much :) You cna do it!!

Hi! I heard horror stories from everyone too. My significant other and family included. That is the last thing you need. Your husband needs to be quiet. I was scared too. Very scared. Everyone here told me the worry before was worse than the procedure and you know what? THEY WERE RIGHT. I had five teeth out Monday morning and I am the biggest chicken going. I had three wisdom teeth out and two molars. I had the IV sedation which was nice after they got the IV in that is. I think I remember some noise but I cannot be sure. I remember the nurse telling me I was a good patient and the oral surgeon telling me I snored when they woke me up. :oops: I did not feel anything while they were taking my teeth out at all. I felt pretty good after but today I have to admit it is sore. I took some pain pills and advil so hopefully the puffiness will go down. Please do not worry. That is all I did for at least a month. The worry consumed me. You will be ok. Please do not listen to horror stories. I did and then came here to wonderful people who re-assured me I would not feel anything. I didn't. You won't either. My thoughts are with you. You will be just fine. Please let me know how you are feeling when you get a chance. YOU CAN DO THIS. :XXLhug:

Thank you everyone :) You have all made me feel a little bit better. I'm sure it will be fine and your probably right when you say the worry is worse.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get in :)

Please do!! I am the same, hadnt been to the dentist in 2 years, they were ok except for one of my back teeth has a whole in so I am booked in to have it taken out tomorrow, and absolutely terrified- I am desperately awaiting hearing how your extraction has gone!!! So I know whether to cancel or not!!!​

Just got back and everything went well. It was an awkward tooth and he had to use numerous tools to get it out and because some of my gum had grown into the tooth he had more of a struggle but it's out now and I'm pleased with myself for not cancelling. He was really nice and kept asking me if I was ok.

I got to see the tooth too and it had 3 roots which he said made it harder. The numbness is starting to wear off now though so its starting to hurt. I'm guessing the recovery will be the worst and the worry definitely wasn't worth it. :)

Go to your appointment starbabe6 :XXLhug:, you will be fine, honest! The longer you put it off the harder it will be and I promise when I say all the worry is worse than the ordeal.

Thank you everyone!

Glad everything went so well! :jump:

Why of why do people who are supposed to SUPPORT you (meaning everyone in general..not just YOU) tell you horror stories? I've never understood that. :shame:

Well done!!
Hope you've given your husband a large poke in the eye for his unhelpful comments! MEN!!!!
xxxx;D

Well done!!
Hope you've given your husband a large poke in the eye for his unhelpful comments! MEN!!!!
xxxx;D

Thanks ;D

Lol, he is being really nice now. He went to Asda to get me some pain killers and also bought me some ice cream..with no bits of course :)

Looking forward to when I can have some :sleepyjuice:

xx

You did it!!!!!!!!!!! What a great job. I am so proud of you. Hugs to you and wishing you a speedy recovery.:respect::grouphug:

Thank you! ;D

Just wanted to say for those who are also afraid that I'm not finding recovery THAT bad. I'm not in major pain, just like a dull ache. I'm swollen and bleeding though. I woke up this morning and my face looked like my pillow had tried to kill it lol!..but I drool in my sleep :redface: So that is quite possibly down to that.
:grouphug:

well done for being so brave ! i really respect your courage ! you did so well, you faced your fears and you didnt back out, you did brilliantly and should be so proud of yourself .. lets hope when your husband needs something medically done to help him, there wont be anyone around him frightening to death ! ;-) xx :jump::grouphug::yay:

Back