• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

All 4 Wisdoms! eeek!

• Thread starter Victoria down under
  • Start date
V

Victoria down under

Hey everyone,

So I have to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth out in a month and already I am starting to panic and am waking up in the night and just very anxious!

I have opted for GA because I don't want to know anything about what happens, plus the dentist suggested it would be better due to my anxiety and because the bottom ones are near the nerve.

I just know when the day comes I am totally going to freak out! I'm going to cry and that's embarrassing because my OS is really cute! Do you know if they give you stuff before hand to calm you??

Thanks

Victoria :thumbsup:

Having GA for extractions would always be my first choice, but it isn't usually given as an option, unless I am willing to pay an awful lot for it, or wait eons for a hospital appointment.

It may be an option to have some sedative pill to take just before hand. This will depend on where you are and your circumstances. I would call at the surgery to see if this available to you.

Don't be embarrassed to ask. They are there for your welfare and wellbeing.

You will do fine and it will all be over before you realise.

Good luck and hang in there!

:)

Hi! I had three wisdom teeth out and two molars Monday morning under IV sedation. I panicked and had terrible nightmares for quite a while before hand. I used an oral surgeon and had IV sedation. Before the appointment I was given four valium to take one hour before. It helped relax me a bit. They had difficulty getting the IV in but after that I was unaware of anything. I woke to the nurse telling me I was a good patient and to the oral surgeon telling me I snored. ;DI am in a lot of discomfort at the moment so I think another pain pill is in order. The worry before the procedure was worse than the procedure itself. I cried and I shook, I could not sleep, I could not even play with my son. The worry consumed me. There is nothing wrong with asking for medication to reduce your anxiety some. Everyone on this site is quite understanding and helpful. You will be just fine. If you need anything please just ask.:)

i had all 4 of my teeth out in 2005, under IV Sedation I think. (..maybe it was GA, I did go to an oral surgeon.)

didn't feel a thing, I bearly remember going. I remember sitting in the chair.. waking up in the chair.. then i don't even remember the car ride home, I remember my dad helping me down the stairs to my room.

They gave me loratab for the pain.. used one, didn't need it after that..

And my teeth were a pain to get out too. 2 still covered, and the 2 on the bottem were wrapped around the jaw.. still no issues.

So you'll do fine! :XXLhug:

I had my wisdom teeth out under GA I believe. I was 17...

I don't remember a thing, either! Didn't feel a thing. Don't remember anything other than my Dad and the nurses helping me into another chair and telling me that I needed to wake up :) then I went home and passed out for the rest of the day. All of mine were impacted, and they told me 3 were growing in the wrong direction! Still no problems :)

You'll be fine

Good luck with it!
xxxxx;D

Hi Victoria down under

I had my 4 wisdoms out, 2 impacted, along with 9 others under GA - another brilliant invention!!

Do you have someone who can go with you to support you and speak on your behalf if necessary?

By the time I arrived for my operation I had totally lost the will to live, didn't even have the energy to cry any more, I was shaking and couldn't even muster the energy to speak - not something that happens often!

Now of course, with hindsight, why did I worry so much? Within 15 minutes of arriving I was asleep and after what seemed like minutes I was being woken up - honestly, it seems that quick. I slept for another hour or so, walked to the car, got home, fell into bed and slept until the morning. I was given antibiotics and told to take regular pain killers but after a day I didn't bother talking the painkillers, I had a sore aching face but no pain what so ever.

Ask for whatever drugs you want to to make it easier.

I can't believe that 30+ years of worry were wiped out in a couple of hours - the feeling of relief is amazing ......

:)

Back