• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Am I being ripped off?

S

scruff

I had a filling done on the NHS who told me I may need a root canal doing as it was pretty bad. I wasn't very happy with the work she carried out and so when a bad pain emerged from the same tooth, I decided to go private.
For the consultation and to drill out the tooth cost £299 and then they said I needed 2 more visits and the tooth capped at a total cost of £920.

Now I don't mind paying for this if thats the going rate, but for 1 tooth it seems a lot. Could I get qoutes from other dentists or is it best to keep with the same one?

Thankyou

in the states, at least, with the pounds to dollars conversion ;) ..

that's about what you'd pay, without insurance, for a rct.

No, I'd say if it includes the crown as well then it's fairly reasonable but not cheap. Presumably they saw you at short notice, they sometimes charge more for that.
Is it a molar tooth (with multiple roots/canals) - these cost more.
If you are happy with the dentist and the tooth seems to have settled down (check before getting crown done) then I would stay put, cheapest is not best but neither is most expensive necessarily. Skill and experience is what counts.

It is a lot of money to save one tooth but what price can you put on being able to chew and eat until you are say 100?

If you have a complex root canal situation it can be best to consult an endo if going private and then your normal dentist would place the crown. It may be slightly cheaper having the same private dentist doing the rct and the crown.

Ah ok well thats put my mind at ease anyway, thanks for the replys!
I do agree with paying more for a good job, so lets just hope it is a good job.

Back