• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

"Thank You" Ideas

G

Former Member
in this thread, you can post your suggestions and ideas on how to say "thank you" to that special dentist :)! Better still - at the end of it all, the best ideas will be put up on our website! And feel free to comment on any comments being thrown out... I'll start off this thread with some ideas "stolen" from a dentists-only board...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I just love those patients to pieces. My 3 personal faves-

1) The cheese cake lady. always brought one in whenever she came to visit (OK, I'll admit that I was tempted to over diagnose so she would come in more often ).

2) The older gentleman retired from an airline who must have walked out with a stationary store worth...always brought in airline pens and gave them out.

3) New Year's eve emergency fx'd #10. I came in (we were closed already) as he had a party to go to. After we reopened he dropped off a huge bottle of scotch.

4) The local gent who walks by the office everyday. Every so often he'll leave a treat (usually chocolate) on the door knob.

We don't talk about these patients enough-these are the ones who make it worthwhile to come in."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Some patients are so generous and some are weird, yet so very nice. One lady brought us some flowers, fake flowers. She used her old orthopedic shoes as a vase. She left it for us on the front counter in our waiting room with a card and a nice note. I never saw that flower arrangement again.

I had another lady give me a bar of her favorite soap. She pulled it out of her purse and talked to me for 5 minutes about how soft it makes her skin and how I will feel so pampered when I use it. It wasn't in a wrapper or anything. I had to sniff my pits when she left just to make sure I didn't have BO or something.

Some people are very offended when you turn down their gifts. I like the people who send a note of thanks. That really is great."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Tips come in lots of shapes and sizes:
ever get a........
tray of cookies?
plate of brownies?
bottle of wine?
6 foot sub from Subway?
sporting event tickets?
golf balls?
free greens fees?
favorite team baseball cap?
college tee-shirts?

These are just a few of the "tips" I have received from my patients. Whenever possible, I roll them right over to my staff."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone is invited to comment :) ! (BTW, this was taken from a US dentistry board)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hee-hee, well I have not been tempted to give my dentist a bottle of scotch or a bar of soap, but I have seen boquets of flowers with Thank You balloons attached to them in the office.

When my dentist fixed the gap in my front teeth was the first time I really wanted to thank him. I ended up calling him later that day and asked the office manager if it was possible for him to call me back when he had time (I assumed that he was with a patient). When she asked if I had a question that she could help me with, I stammered out that I only wanted to thank him. She told me I was "the sweetest thing" [image] and immediately got him on the phone so I could thank him personally. I think they may have just been surprised as that was probably they most I had communicated with them at that point.

I like the people who send a note of thanks. That really is great.

I also sent a note of thanks after he had taken the time to talk to me once after a difficult visit. I hope it was appreciated and not considered odd, as he has never mentioned it since.

No, it's not considered odd at all, as far as I can see - the only complaint I hear is that it happens so rarely!

Any dentists reading this thread, please chip in :)!

I've had a variety of “thank you” pressies from patients over the last few years including:

Pens (one with my name inscribed!)
Gift Vouchers (M&S, WH Smith)
Choccies (Which usually the nurses pinch!)
A Rainbow Trout!!
Bottles of Wine
Champagne
Bottles of Whiskey (I work near the Johnnie Walker factory in Kilmarnock!! ;D :censored:)
A Highland Cow Pie! :p
Flowers
A dentist ornament
Golf lessons from a patient who is a golf pro.
A trip to the patient's place of work (at an airport, where me and my father-in-law got to sit in some of the US Navy planes!)
A signed photo and letter for my Granny! (by a patient who is a famous Scottish actress and was in "Take the Highroad";))

However, often the nicest thing to get is a simple "Thank you" card. I've had quite a few from both adults and kids- it's really nice and really makes my day. It's nice to know that your efforts are appreciated and you don't need a fancy or expensive gift to say "thanks"!
Cards are nice and it helps other anxious patients see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep Smiling,
Mike

i am so truly, deeply grateful to my new dentist that i really want to stitch him a small sampler. unfortunately, my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so i'm not sure i could do that. i need to chat with a staff person and find out what he's interested in--i figure Xmas will be a good time to give the gift. although the very first thing will be a long and sincere thank-you letter. i also plan to give the staff, as a whole, a gift--chocolates, maybe, especially my home-made truffles.:)

I gave my dentist a thankyou card and a bear :redface:

I wrote a 'Thank You' card to the dentist, anaethetist and nursing team who treated me yesterday. If someone had suggested to me before that I would ever do that, I would've told them they were hallucinating! :thumbsup:

Gift for a dentist?

Well I was thinking about this the other day and I'd really like to get a little gift or something for my dentist to say thanks for everything he's done for me.

So I'm wondering about couple of things,

1. First, is that totally weird to give him a gift? Has anyone ever done that?

2. Second, I need ideas. I'd like to get something that could be shared with his whole office. It's just him and probably 6 hygienists and a couple receptionists. And many of them have worked on me in various ways since i started going there. But something like a box of chocolates or candy seems wrong to give to a dentist. So I don't know what else.

3. Maybe just a nice card instead?

Any responses or suggestions would be great.

I gave my Dentist a thankyou card to thank her for her compassion and understanding and genuine care given to me which had helped me overcome one of my worst fears... and said to her
"Its just to say thankyou for being so understanding, i was going to buy you some chocolates but i thought it was an inapropriate gift to give your Dentist". To which she replied after thanking me for the card and saying how sweet i was "Well i wouldn't have minded really" and then giggled along with us (me Hubby and Nurse)

Nikki xx

I also gave my dentist a handwritten thank you card awhile back just for always respecting me as a person and working with me patiently through my fears. I could tell that she was really caught off guard and I think it really made her day. It's fun to put a smile on someone's face and just let them know that you appreciate them when they go above and beyond for you. I have a feeling dentistry can at times, be a pretty thankless industry.

After getting through my first year of visits/treatment I took an apple pie with a thank you card for my current dentist and his staff. I made sure to tell them it was NOT sugar free and that they all needed to brush after eating it. That got a few laughs and I got a hug for my efforts. ;D

After getting through my first year of visits/treatment I took an apple pie with a thank you card for my current dentist and his staff. I made sure to tell them it was NOT sugar free and that they all needed to brush after eating it. That got a few laughs and I got a hug for my efforts. ;D

See, now I have been wanting to do something for my dentist and the practice staff as sometimes I think my profuse thank yous after each appointment and christmas card are not enough. The thing I enjoy most of all and what I seem to be (at least I am told so) good at is cooking and baking and I have often thought about baking a cake but wondered if that isn't just the biggest faux pas for a dental setting. My husband seemed quite shocked at the thought of giving a cake to a dentist but as I said to him, if anyone is going to be able to thoroughly clean away all traces of sugar, then it will be dental staff :giggle: Plus, as I've found out, they are human after all and everyone likes cake, don't they? Takingflight, you've inspired me to maybe give it a try - unless someone else can come up with a better idea?

:grin: Cake is not a faux-pas for a dental setting (or that's what I've heard from dentists, anyway :)) - a big cake to share with all the staff would be best!

(though on second thoughts, if your dentist has just told you that s/he is on a diet, a cake may not be the best gift idea ;D...)

I know what I want to get, have found a site that sells it, and can't get it because it is out of stock - have seen other things, but not quite making the grain for me - I am going to have to give the company a ring to see if it will ever be back in stock :(

I think I know what it is but I won't say. :hmm:

pm me please.....?

.......The thing I enjoy most of all and what I seem to be (at least I am told so) good at is cooking and baking and I have often thought about baking a cake but wondered if that isn't just the biggest faux pas for a dental setting.

I say go for it!! My follow up visit I got to hear how delicious it was and then had to come clean that I bought it from the area "pie place" rather than made it myself. :rolleyes: The fact that you are going baking it yourself makes it even more meaningful. If you want to add some humor to it you can always buy a couple of toothbrushes and include them as part of the thank you gift. :giggle:

I know what I want to get, have found a site that sells it, and can't get it because it is out of stock - have seen other things, but not quite making the grain for me - I am going to have to give the company a ring to see if it will ever be back in stock :(

I think I know what it is, too:

draft_lens17830300module149429565photo_1302299424chicken-costume.jpg

Correct??

Lincoln will be soooo pleased :cloud9:...

You can buy it here: [broken amazon link removed]

I know, it's a bit pricey, but it will be so worth it!

:grin:

You have such an:devilish: streak in you lets :ROFLMAO: but you are sooooo wrong - and I know when I go back next week, I am going to get some flack from that, so :thankyou: for that ;)

You have made me laugh out loud, so good job no-one sitting and able to see me :giggle:

You need to guess again...........

Letsconnect that is an amazing outfit!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: What a find.