• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ideas

Q

queenoffear

Does anyone have any ideas (other than calling the dentist or oral surgeon........I am NOT doing that) that are homeopathic that might help with healing of my five recent extractions. I had three wisdom teeth out and two molars as some of you know. I am having a rough recovery.:mad: The pain pills make me have odd dreams. I spoke to other people who said the medication made them feel the same way (lortab). I am using moist heat and salt water rinses. I am swollen and uncomfortable still. This is the fifth day. Does anyone have any natural suggestions I might be able to try? I am on penicillin still which I will finish. I would like some homeopathic help if anyone is versed in that. I am not a huge fan of mediations but have to admit I did take the pain pills when I needed them..............and boy did I need them. Now they do not seem to be helping much. I do take two advil and one extra strength tylenol for pain but I am trying to steer clear of that now. Would any foods help? Any help forsuggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for your time.:)

I don't know anything about homeopathic stuff, but back in February I had 11 teeth extracted, 9 on top and 2 on the bottom. I had read that pineapple juice helped with the healing, so I drank 4, 8oz glasses a day beginning the day before the extractions and continued the day of, and 2 days following the extractions.

I was on Hydrocodone for pain - but it makes me itchy, so I only took it for two days because the itchiness got so bad. After the 2nd day, I was only on regular strength ibuprofen for pain. Every time I went to the dentist for check ups (which was often - I had an immediate denture done with the extractions, so I went in every few days for adjustments on that, she was amazed at how quickly my mouth was healing.

I realize that you've already had your extractions, but if you started with the pineapple juice right away, it would probably help speed up the healing process.

Sorry I don't know more, but the pineapple juice definitely helped me - if you decide to try it, I'm sure it will definitely help you!!

Best wishes - - -

I don't know if it's homeopathic, but my dentist suggested i use Gengigel, and i read on it that it contains hyaluronic (sp) acid, which really is what your body needs to produce to speed up healing. It's a puffy spray and it also helps clean, and numb the area.

I also read it is good for extraction sites as well, problem is the article was in Romanian, so i can't link you to that.

I am sceptical of homeopathic remedies, but I think I read somewhere that using a tea bag over the extraction site helps.

Thanks for the link and for the idea of the pineapple juice and tea bags. I appreciate everyone who responded. I will certainly try them and look at the link. It sure cannot hurt. I understand some are skeptical but some swear by natural and homepopathic remedies. My grandmother puts a sliced potatoo on her head for a headache. Sounds odd I know but she swears by it. Thanks to all that replied. I am going to take myself on a small trip to the store to get some pineapple juice. I think it will feel good to get out of the house and not sit on the couch watching TV. You are all wonderful and very supportive. :grouphug:

Hi Queenoffear nice to meet you Hope these remedies work out for you.

Dave.:welcome:

It has been a week since I had my teeth taken out. I went back to the oral surgeon this morning and he said everything looks good. It still doesn't feel good though. He said my right side was bad. The wisdom tooth on the bottom right was partially in my jaw. Oh nice!! I have been taking the advil and tylenol which is helping. The stitches are annoying me a little but they are dissolvable so he left them alone. I was scared I have to admit but my mom drove me and I actually made it without an anti anxiety medication. I have to rinse with salt water for another two weeks. I will go to my dentist in a few weeks so he can see if my gums are healed enough to clean my teeth and take some x-rays. I will be sedated for that appointment since I am such a chicken. I want to make sure I am healed completely before I do anything else. My ultimate goal is some porcelin veneers for my front teeth. My two front teeth are angled in and I always was self conscious of it. Six veneers are needed but it is nice to have a pretty smile to look forward to. I treated myself to a new rotodent toothbrush today for being able to make it without a valium. I have one now but it is quite old and does not work that well anymore. I have to tape the brush head to the motor portion of the brush or it falls off. :)

Last night I tried a glass of apple cider but it burned the incision sites. I guess it was not to smart of an idea. I am using the pineapple juice but have to water it down some. Thanks everyone for supporting me. I will keep you posted on my appointments. You are all wonderful. Thanks for giving me hope. :)

Hi Queen!

I'm sorry to hear you are still dealing with pain :( But I'm glad (and proud of you) for making it in to the office to have everything checked out. I hope your healing goes more quickly going forward.

You should be very proud of yourself for getting this far!

Huge hugs to you! :hug2:
-nellie

I've heard different things about this, but personally, ice cream helped me when I had my wisdom teeth extracted and they were pretty bad.

As far as homeopathic goes, have you tried manuka honey in warm water or by itself? It's kind of expensive, but it has strong antibacterial properties and can be used for burns and cuts to help heal them. I use it in tea when I have a cold. I would imagine it might help :)

Saltwater rinses are the best thing for healing your extraction sites, and drinking green tea helped soothe mine. The sugar-free Lipton iced green tea is what I had, and it was very soothing.

I have not tried the honey or the green tea. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I am trying everything that is suggested as it never hurts to try. Its nice to have a glimmer of hope. This constant discomfort gets to me at times. I have been drinking carnation instant breakfast with ice cream and milk blended in. I have eaten a bowl of sherbet. I will try the ice cream. My jaw has been so sore that I am using one of my spoons my mother gave me from when I was an infant. Pardon my ignorance but can I find that honey at a Wegmans food store? Is it available in stores or do I need to special order it? If it helps it is well worth the price. We always use honey in our BBQ sauces and baking so it will never go to waste. I will leave a bit early to pick my son up and see for the honey and the get Lipton Green Tea. They still feel puffy and my tongue keeps hitting the upper extraction sites especially. It is quite annoying to say the least. :o Even when I do not talk I can feel my tongue against it. I am trying so hard not to play with it. I do not want to disturb the healing. Thanks so much for the great suggestions. You have been a tremendous help and my constant support. Hugs to all of you. :XXLhug:

Back