• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain with immediate Denture

tinabear

tinabear

Hello,
I'm new here, I had top & bottom immediate dentures put in Friday afternoon, I had about 18 extractions (I already had a partial on the top) I am due to return to the dentist this coming Friday, however, they did tell me to remove the dentures after the first night and sleep without them, I didn't do that until last night. I had taken them out and rinsed my mouth and cleaned the denture and the pain putting them back in was bad. This morning after sleeping all night without them the pain was almost unbearable after I put them in (and as I was) I sobbed in my bed for 15 minutes waiting for a pain pill to relieve some of the pain.
I have several stitches and had several bone shavings. Mainly, is this normal? I mean I realize this is only my 3rd day and my teeth look awesome, but holy cow, I have to say I'm not sure this was a good choice, not that I can go back on it now.
Any input will be appreciated. I guess I just want to know if I am having the normal happen to me or if I need to be concerned. Thanks so much!!
Tina:-*

That all sounds perfectly normal to me !

I recently had an extraction and another tooth added to my partial to replace the extracted tooth - the extraction wasn't done until the "new" partial was ready so this was effectively an immediate denture, albeit only for one tooth. Because the tooth being extracted was only a root - the rest of the tooth had sheared off two months after having it root canaled - it took my dentist some effort to remove it, which traumatised the surrounding area a little. I was fine with the "new" partial for a couple of days, but then the extraction site became sore and I had to leave the partial out for a few days until it all settled down.

Now, that was only a single extraction, so I can well imagine how sore and uncomfortable it could be to have a large wodge of plastic sitting on multiple extraction sites while they are healing. :scared: So, if your dentures are causing you so much pain, dont wear them for a few days unless you have to ! Once your mouth starts to recover they should be fine - and if they aren't, go back to your dentist and say so.

John

Hi, Tinabear, and :welcome:

What you're experiencing sounds normal. Have you read any of the journals on the site regarding full dentures? If not, it would probably help set your mind at ease now and later on.

You have a lot of changes and adaptations ahead of you. Some of it will be very frustrating, and it may seem to take forever to see any progress. But you WILL progress, and it WILL get better.

Don't overdo, and give your body a chance to heal itself. I was amazed at first at how tired I was. I'm sure that helped amplify any and all discomfort. Relax and read through some of the stories here. There is a ton of good information that you might find useful.

Good luck on your journey!

Thank you for your responses...I was so miserable I finally called my dentist office, they had me come in, they removed some of my stitches and saw that what was happening was the dentures had rubbed several sores and when I put them in they not only were still rubbing the already made sores but they were basically squeezing them also, hence the horrible pain. They went ahead and put a liner in and made some adjustments and popped them back in (yes I was petrified when they were doing this) but walahh...no pain (other than the norm from having all these extractions) I feel like a new person, granted I still hurt but nothing like what I went through the last two days!! Today I was actually able to smile and feel like this wasn't the biggest mistake I've ever made.
I'm sure I have more in store for me but now I realize it is as simple as calling my dentist and having them take care of it.
I will read on though because I'm sure other posts are going to help me.
I'm so glad I found this site!!

:grouphug:

What a great update! I'm glad you're doing better after seeing your dentist. Things will continue to get better for you, and the progress will pick up speed as you go.

Congrats! :jump:

Thank you C!

Here I am, day 9, feeling much better, still can't eat anything chewable but she said that could take a few weeks :(...I've actually lost 4 lbs in a week, which isn't a horrible thing because I had been dieting anyway, but boy not the way I would suggest to do it!
I'll just be glad when all the sore spots go away!:yay:

Hi Tina -
YOW! 18 teeth... You're in twice the spot I am.
I'm 58 years old, so I figure it's about that time. I just had my remaining 10 upper teeth extracted five days ago, and an immediate (temporary) denture fitted.
I elected to have general anethesia which made things a LOT easier, especially because my molars have three long roots that point outwards like an upside down "Y". (Thank God for Percocets). I could swear I was only out for about 3 minutes, but it really took about two hours.
I had a fixed bridge replacing my four front upper teeth for about 13 years. Looked great, and fit comfortably.
I broke it two weeks ago, and snapped off the canine tooth on the left, which was one of the anchors down to the gum line.
Before replacing the front teeth, I had crooked, gapped teeth, and I covered them when I smiled.
I have lost teeth over the years from gum disease due to diabetes 2, and I suppose, heredity. I had the best teeth for the longest time of all six of us kids.
Well - here I am at day 5, and wondering if my dentist will refill my Rx for painkillers...
I knew what I was getting into from having my front teeth extracted before, and I'm sure it will all be worthwhile.:grin:
Right now, feels like I am sucking on a shoe horn.
How long did it take you to feel comfortable enough to bite down on things like cookies?
Steve

I am at 4 weeks with an upper and struggle at the moment with hard stuff but hope once my matching lowers are in situ I can bite properly also hoping for a liner to be put in and a few tender areas sorted, least the fingernails I chewed down to the bone pre extractions are growing back now I can't bite them:giggle:, I wish you all well with your dentures:clover:

Back