• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Swallow crown

This question may have been asked before (and I couldn't find it) but I swallowed a permanent crown this evening while eating. It came loose about a month a go but I haven't been able to take off work to go have it fixed. It was easier to use the over-the-counter temporary fix stuff until I could get in to a dentist. Tonight while eating - it came loose and I apparently swallowed it. I don't know what those crowns are made of but it looked like porcelain and metal. I suppose it will just pass through my system??? Or could the edges of the crown tear something internal?

No, it'll just pass right on through.

You wouldn't believe the number of times people have asked me to recement a crown that's been on such a voyage :)

My mum has done it more than once now.... believe me it passes through she gives it a complete sterilisation and sticks it back on with temporary cement. I keep nagging her to go to a dentist and have it put back on properly but falls on deaf ears.....;)

Mine fell out two days ago and passed in about twelve hours. I too, was very worried that it might cause internal damage, but it turns out I was just being paranoid, as it passed through no problem.

My mum has done it more than once now.... believe me it passes through she gives it a complete sterilisation and sticks it back on with temporary cement. I keep nagging her to go to a dentist and have it put back on properly but falls on deaf ears.....;)

Can you PLEASE tell me how your mum sterilizes them. I have ... erm got it back, but am now completely paranoid about putting it back in. I've used alcohol and boiling water to clean it but am TERRIFIED it's not good enough. :( I would be extremely grateful to hear your mum's method!

No, it'll just pass right on through.

You wouldn't believe the number of times people have asked me to recement a crown that's been on such a voyage :)
Wow I have never had a patient bring in a "retrieved" crown to recement.

Wow I have never had a patient bring in a "retrieved" crown to recement.

A friend of mine saw a patient who swallowed a band and loop. The parents "retrieved" the appliance and he just sterilized it and cemented it back.:)

I would use a little chlorine bleach to soak for a few minutes, which kills just about any and every bug including e coli which is found in abundance in the GI tract and rinse very thoroughly and rinse again.

rp

I would use a little chlorine bleach to soak for a few minutes, which kills just about any and every bug including e coli which is found in abundance in the GI tract and rinse very thoroughly and rinse again.

rp

Thanks for the advice.

I've been out all day trying to find some chlorine bleach, but couldn't find any anywhere! Just scented toilet cleaners everywhere! There was 'thin bleach' which seems to be 'less than 40% chlorine bleach mixed with an anitseptic' - would that work??

I also kept looking in pharmacies and places to try and find a 'fake tooth', even though I know nothing exists - I've looked before, there are lots of 'crown cement' and crown 'rescue kits' which are just the cement and mouthwash pills - has anyone ever found something in any high street shops that would be a convincing fake tooth?

It probably sounds stupid, but I feel soooo upset :cry: It is HORRIBLE walking around with such a obvious, noticable gap in my teeth (it's in the front) - the truth is I don't even want to leave the house. I feel SO embarassed and ashamed.

I bought some dettol anti-septic, do you think that would work? (but it says on the label it's dangerous if swallowed) or should I just glue the crown back in and hope it is clean enough?

I'm crying as I type this. Any responses greatly appreciated.

Chlorine bleach is sold under the brand name of clorox in the US- laundry bleach is fine, it doesn't have to be 100 proof, Use the temp cement and see your dentist.

Repeated recementing though, caused me to lose a tooth, eventually the crown came off one last time and took most of the tooth with it. something is not right with a crown that falls off.

Hi there, sorry just seen your question, Mum uses bleach and an old tooth brush gives it a good dry and back on it goes...

She will not go to the dentist however and keeps using temp stuff to glue it back on ... Not something I would recommend..

Hi there, sorry just seen your question, Mum uses bleach and an old tooth brush gives it a good dry and back on it goes...

She will not go to the dentist however and keeps using temp stuff to glue it back on ... Not something I would recommend..

Thanks for the reply. I stupidly however, ending up dropping the crown down the sink after all that anyway. I've barely left the house since, it's just too embarassing. I know I should go to a dentist but it's just not a possibility. I don't know what I'm going to do. But thanks for all the advice.

Hey Susanah

If it went down the sink it should be sitting in the u bend below the sink. It is normally quite easy to unscrew this but do put a bucket under it as you do it as some water always spills out!

Good luck

Lincoln

Hey Susanah

If it went down the sink it should be sitting in the u bend below the sink. It is normally quite easy to unscrew this but do put a bucket under it as you do it as some water always spills out!

Good luck

Lincoln

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried looking for it and couldn't find it and since then of course running water has gone down the sink, so I know it's long gone ... now I'm trying to find some kind of fake tooth to use instead, but there is nothing ..

Back