• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain after temporary crown?

B

Beowulf

What is normal pain after a temporary crown? I had a slighlt cracked tooth (lower left molar, second from the back), pain from eating/drinking cold food/beverage mostly (went after after removal of the food/beverage), so I was in two days ago and got a temporary crown (during which I know they shape the tooth, and push the gum line down, etc). Now I have been having a pretty painful reaction to hot food and hot beverage, hurts like hell for 10 minutes or so after hot food/beverage. Is this normal? I go in Oct 20 for the permanent crown.
:confused:

If I was your dentist, I'd want to check that the temp is OK, so give them a ring ;)

If I was your dentist, I'd want to check that the temp is OK, so give them a ring ;)

The seems to have calmed down quite a bit now (six days after the temporary crown) at least with taking 600-800mg ibuprofen every 4-6 hrs. Hoping the pain was from grinding / shaping of the tooth and pushing the gums down for the mold, and that I can keep the pain under control until I get the permanent crown in 16 more days. My greatest fear is the need for a root canal, especially after getting a crown and then having to go through removal of a crown, root canal, then another crown-- painful and expensive!

Do you think now that the pain has subsided (barely noticable now with taking ibuprofen), and given that my dentist said it was a cracked tooth (he could not even see the crack when I went in for the diagnosis, it was diagnosed by his subjecting my tooth to cold air, and because I said cold food/beverage was causing the pain). When he did the temporary crown he took a radiograph and could see the crack.

Please please please I do not want a root canal! I had a root canal and crown this past February and it is so expensive, and my dental insurance is done for the year, this is all out of my wallet now, and I do not want the pain of it all over again. I want to get the crown and be done with this tooth!

On a scale of 0-10 pain, I have been at 0-1 all day now with ibuprofen. Maybe 1-2 yesterday, and 3-4 pain the days before that.
randall

There are no guarantees with cracked teeth, see some of the other threads :(

My pain calmed down progressively, now I am about two weeks after the temporary crown and there is little pain as long as I take 400-600 mg ibuprofen every six hours or so and do not bite down on hard food on the temp crown.

Attention dentists: it would help patients like me and others if dentists would warn and educate patients about what to expect in terms of pain following a procedure like this, to know what is normal pain, course of the pain, what is not normal. My dentist did not.

Back