• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of dental injections due to an excruciating injection as a child

M

merlin

Hi there,

When i was aged between 9 and 11 years I required a filling in one of my molars. As a child (and now) I have been totally fine with needles for vaccinations etc. I usually just relax, think about something else, look away and it's done. However I remember being a little nervous about this filling. In the surgery the dentist approached me with a very long needle, and I recall being startled at the size. I was told to open my mouth and the needle was thrust into my cheek without warning. It took about 2-3 seconds and all the anaesthetic had been injected into my cheek, but not without me screaming my head off and even jerking my head. I didn't cry but I remember being completely shocked and trembling afterwards. My cheek swelled up a lot so I was told to sit in the waiting room for some time. After that the filling procedure continued normally. My cheek was swollen and bruised for about 3 days afterwards (so much so that my school teachers thought I had been in a fight).

I know this was a long time ago so my recollection of what I was thinking might be slightly off, but my parents were in the surgery with me and have confirmed the details about how the injection was given. No topical anaesthetic gel was used BTW.

This has left me with a big fear of dental injections. The pain was worse than a wasp sting (and I react badly to insect stings). I'm not afraid of normal injections, I maybe get a little bit apprehensive just prior to a vaccination or giving blood but it's fine. It's not only the pain of an injection which I fear it's the idea of that pain being in the mouth. Other painful injections elsewhere don't bother me much (I give blood and sometimes yelp/wince when they put the needle in).

I do actually go to the dentist for checkups even though it scares me, and other than having a brace and a few scales-and-polishes I haven't had any further treatment to my teeth. It has been about 18 months since my last appointment and I'm extremely nervous about the next one in a few weeks time. I have the feeling they may want to do some work (black/brown stain-like spot on canine), I'm even worried that they'll want to take my wisdom teeth out. Actually it's difficult to put the nervousness out of my mind and just function normally just now. I've already told the nurse at my dentists about my fear and she said they're pretty good with injections, they use topical gel and one of the surgeons is trained to deal with nervous patients (and sometimes uses sedation).

I'm obviously going to go to the appointment but I want to know if others here have had a similar experience to mine? Is the injection always that painful? How does it compare to - e.g. a wasp sting? I'm also a little scared of jerking my head and making it worse (though if I'm expecting it to be painful I would try and control this)...

...quite worried.

Re: Terrified of dental injections due to an excruciating injection as a child

I know EXACTLY how you feel. The only time in my life I have ever been to a dentist until recently (i'm 42) was when my parents took me in the 1st grade to have a filling done. I remember that injection vividly. That was back before numbing agents. It hurt so bad. However, I would like to tell you that dentistry has come a long way. I had 2 upper wisdom teeth extracted recently with only locals and laughing gas. The injections ( i had about 3 on each side lucky me) are only a little uncomforable. It is very much like just getting a flu shot or something on in the mouth. Whatever they used in the old days stung ... but it doesn't now. I don't think it will be that bad now. It also makes a difference that you were so young too. It should only feel like a little pinch.

It took about 2-3 seconds and all the anaesthetic had been injected into my cheek, but not without me screaming my head off
Way too fast to be comfortable...needs to be more like 2 minutes not 2 seconds...this was brutally done but the dentist was probably always bad at it and because you were a child wanted it over and done with as quickly (=as painfully) as possible.

but I want to know if others here have had a similar experience to mine? Is the injection always that painful? .

The only painful dental injection I have had was in 1960s!!!! I have had them since in 1970s, 1980s and 2000s and never felt an iota of pain with any of them. Some were done with gel some without but in all cases the fluid was delivered very slowly and gently. The earlier ones I was aware sth was going on but it wasn't painful...my current dentist...it's imperceptible....gets a bit boring though as it does take a while to inject the stuff so slowly.

I'm sure you will have a much better experience based on what the staff member has told you.

I've never been stung by a wasp or a bee but can honestly say there is no need for dental injections to be painful at all so long as the dentist cares enough to use the right techniques.

Last edited:
Ok so I just had my checkup... I need three occlusal fillings. I'm so angry with myself, although I cannot understand how this happened. I floss, I brush two-to-three times per day (for about 5 minutes at a time), I use listerine mouthwash and I chew xylitol-containing gum. If that's not enough to avoid cavities what is?! My flatmate went to the same dentist and she hadn't been for seven years - he told her everything was good and no work (other than a trip to the hygienist).

He noticed I was nervous, and gave me his chair to sit on so that I was in the dentist seat for as little time as possible. He said that I'm not the first nervous patient he's had (I thought: I should hope so...) and they'll try and make everything as painless as possible for me. However he added "I won't lie to you, it's unpleasant and uncomfortable". When I told him my only fear was the pain of the injections he said "yeah it hurts for a few seconds" and the "bruising sometimes does happen".

Argh - what?!

A bit panicked... is he just being down to Earth, or is he saying he can't give painless injections?

Tell the dentist that your nervous and they will go really slow when doing it (mine does anyway). I had oral surgery earlier this year and the dentist doing it, did the injections way too quickly and it was agony! i couldn't stop crying!
I've just had 2 injections today and it was just a quick scratch pain and then it was over!
But you can ask for numbing gel? i've tried it before and with it you don't feel a thing! no lie.
You'll be fine, good luck :)

I asked my dentist why injections seemed far less painful than they did years ago. His answers were:-

a) Stronger materials and therefore smaller needles (makes sense, I thought)

b) The anaesthetic no longer needs to be kept in the fridge, so it's not ice-cold any more

Strangely he never mentioned technique - maybe he didn't want to boast !

John

Tell the dentist that your nervous and they will go really slow when doing it (mine does anyway).
The way he says "it's only a few seconds" makes me think that he's going to try and inject quickly though.

I had oral surgery earlier this year and the dentist doing it, did the injections way too quickly and it was agony! i couldn't stop crying!
I've just had 2 injections today and it was just a quick scratch pain and then it was over!
Where in your mouth did the dentist administer the painful injection?

But you can ask for numbing gel? i've tried it before and with it you don't feel a thing! no lie.
You'll be fine, good luck :)
I didn't ask this time. When I made the appointment for the checkup I asked the receptionist and she said they do use it unless you ask not to have it.

I asked my dentist why injections seemed far less painful than they did years ago. His answers were:-

a) Stronger materials and therefore smaller needles (makes sense, I thought)
Is there any guarantee the dentist is going to use a small needle though?

b) The anaesthetic no longer needs to be kept in the fridge, so it's not ice-cold any more
This is true (I'm a scientist and since I have access to medical journals I've looked this up recently). The other factor is the pH (acidity) of the anaesthetic.

Where in your mouth did the dentist administer the painful injection?

I had 4 for the surgery i had, 2 at the front of my front teeth, and two in the roof of my mouth just behind them.
and if they do use the numbing gel then honestly you should be fine!

Is there any guarantee the dentist is going to use a small needle though?

Hopefully one of our resident dentists can tell us that ?

John

Merlin, I think, like me, you are making more of it in your mind than it actually is. I have a feeling you will be surprised at how different it will be. I felt exactly the same way you do. I was afraid of the injections because of how badly it hurt when I was little. It does not sting like it did back then. They use something different now plus they can use a numbing agent on your gum ahead of time. Its really not that bad.

When I told him my only fear was the pain of the injections he said "yeah it hurts for a few seconds" and the "bruising sometimes does happen".

Argh - what?!

A bit panicked... is he just being down to Earth, or is he saying he can't give painless injections?

He can't give painless injections.....I never get bruising and I bruise easily....run..he will feed your phobia and no mention of gel. 3 fillings should be :cloud9: not painful and uncomfortable.
Warning about bruising is not a normal thing to say to a nervous patient. It bruises if they are unskilled. I do wonder if he said this to scare you off although letting you sit on his chair suggests otherwise.

There's a really remote possibility that he is 'underpromising and planning to overdeliver' but I seriously doubt it in this case.
I think it's important you get a comfortable injection because that is what caused your long-lasting phobia. The gel only eliminates the pin prick of the needle's entry, doesn't do much for the fluid (as far as I am aware)...it has to be injected slowly for the fluid not to sting so that the fluid prenumbs as it goes in. Historically the needles used to be reused for multiple patients and were bigger so the entry of the needle could be painful as well (1960s)..the sharps now can be inserted painlessly even without gel as they are so sharp. The slow delivery is the most important aspect...sorry but I don't want to lie to you either. You may have to 'go private' to find a dentist confident enough in their ability to 'guarantee' comfort. Have you looked into TheWand?

As well as gel and slow delivery, some dentists pre-numb with a few drops of LA, wait, then follow up with a different type of LA...there are many methods but a dentist who cares enough to enable you to relax through the injection will also care enough to top up anaesthetic during procedures i.m.e...they are good dentists to find and ones to hang onto and refer your kids to.

Why don't you ask Gordon in the dentistry section if he thinks those words are a (young) dentist's admission he can't do painless injections? Pointing out that you have told him that's your only fear and cause of your original phobia years ago.

Last edited:

Merlin, the mere thought of a dental injection scared the heck out of me. Unfortunately to the point of my needing a root canal last year. As others have said, when the numbing gel is generously applied, given time to take effect and the dentist has good/gentle technique, the whole thing is painless. If your dentist is brusque or dismissive of your fear in anyway, perhaps it's time to look for someone who isn't. I know that is easier said than done, but there are truly some compassionate and fantastic dentists out there. I am lucky to have one myself.

All the best and good luck,
Mona

There's a really remote possibility that he is 'underpromising and planning to overdeliver' but I seriously doubt it in this case.
I think it's important you get a comfortable injection because that is what caused your long-lasting phobia. The gel only eliminates the pin prick of the needle's entry, doesn't do much for the fluid (as far as I am aware)...it has to be injected slowly for the fluid not to sting so that the fluid prenumbs as it goes in. Historically the needles used to be reused for multiple patients and were bigger so the entry of the needle could be painful as well (1960s)..the sharps now can be inserted painlessly even without gel as they are so sharp. The slow delivery is the most important aspect...sorry but I don't want to lie to you either. You may have to 'go private' to find a dentist confident enough in their ability to 'guarantee' comfort. Have you looked into TheWand?
I have, but I have no way of finding out which dentists in London (UK) actually use one. Also because I want white (non-mercury) fillings I have to go private anyways.

Why don't you ask Gordon in the dentistry section if he thinks those words are a (young) dentist's admission he can't do painless injections? Pointing out that you have told him that's your only fear and cause of your original phobia years ago.
I'll do that now - thanks.

Ok so I'm going to a different dentist. There is an (admittedly untrustworthy - he could have written it himself) review on a local website saying how good he is and that he gives painless injections and doesn't perform unnecessary work. Even if he did write it himself I guess it means he cares. The waiting room was full of people (the place of my previous dentist is always empty) and these people seemed strangely happy.

My appointment is in a week. I'm worried about one thing though: this will delay my treatment I guess, since he wants to do his own check-up before doing the fillings. How long do I have before these cavities turn into deep pulp cavities requiring a root canal??

Thanks again.

You have got the time it takes to get a check-up appointment I'm pretty sure. If you are getting any pain though, tell them when you book. Good luck.

I think I have totally misunderstood and misjudged my dentist in this case. Like brit said, he was trying to help but it wasn't working on me. That's because of me I think.

Basically they got back in touch with me to ask how I am and what I'm doing. They explained to me that they treat phobic patients quite a lot and they can use sedation on me. I told them about my experience as a child and they described it as a brutal treatment which would never happen these days. Anyway they've told me to definitely take a friend with me for the fillings, the receptionist also volunteered to be in the room with me and they've strongly suggested I get sedation. I can either pay them for IV sedation (which I can decide on at the time - i.e. try without and then use it if I need to) or get some drug from my GP (presumably an anti-anxiety medication). The idea is that if I can go through with it once and actually not have a horrendous time I should be able to get over my phobia (from what I've read this is probably an associative phobia, since my fear is of dental injections and not of needles in general). They also said that if they think I'm too afraid they'll stop the procedure.

I'd actually wanted to do it without sedation, partly out of pride but mostly because I want to remember the procedure so that I learn it's not at all bad.

It's a whole lot of fuss and bother for what most people is a simple 15 minute operation :shame:.

Ooh this is the first dentist is it? So now you are sort of spoilt for choice!!! Could work so long as the plan is to wean you off the sedation yes. The trouble is though if you had the painfree technique, you wouldn't need the sedation at all.

I prefer the receptionist's 'not bad at all'...over 'it does sometimes hurt' but that's just me.

;D

I went to the original dentist. Two fillings done, and it went really very well. I left the surgery smiling. In the end I was given diazepam by my GP to try and calm my nerves and make it easier to control panic (basically I found that when I was beginning to panic it was a slow build-up, and I was able to fight it off).

The dentist was extremely nice to me, talked me through everything and I could tell he actually cared. He wanted to do just one filling (at the top) but I asked for the second one to be done too. The first (top) injection was painless: I thought he was still just pressing the cotton against my gum. The second one hurt a little bit as he'd warned me it would (1 out of 5 for a few seconds, then for about one second it was a 2 out of 5, but really totally bearable), it seemed to be in the cheek at the back of my mouth.

My GP gave me some advice which might be useful to others here. Firstly it's extremely difficult to fight off a phobia on your own because it's actually self-feeding: you panic when you go, which makes the experience unpleasant and feeds the phobia more. With an associative phobia it's possible to do it but it needs more positive experiences than just one. She also said that closing your eyes during an injection is a bad thing to do, since it heightens your sense of feeling. She said the best thing is to try to read something, although this isn't practical in the dentists. Actually I'm very short sighted so when I was being injected I kept my eyes open and concentrated on trying to "make out" what I was seeing.

The dentist seemed very pleased too.

Back