• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal, no insurance...

A

abcessobsessed

About a week ago I noticed a tingling in my tooth but didn't think anything of it. By Sunday I was in bed crying and unable to move. I went to the hospital Monday night because of the pain (happy thanksgiving!) and got antibiotics and painkillers. Ever since then it's been hell, my tooth feels like it gets a shaky shock whenever I move my mouth or talk, sometimes even lean over.

My problem is I have no insurance. I used to be terrified of the dentist (still get scared, but this forum helped me a year ago to get up and go.) and now that I want to go, I can't. I found a few clinics nearby that offer free dental - for homeless youth. I can't believe there are no options for someone like me.

I visited my regular dentist today and found out that indeed my front right tooth is abcessed. I need a root canal, one that will cost $400. (But he's offered to knock it down to $300, which is awesome, but still $300 more than I can afford.)

I found out my school offers an emergency bursary, and I'll be going in on monday to see if I'm eligible and can get anything. It just sucks so much because I had these awesome plans, I was going to go to university (and of course it costs $350 just to apply) and get my drivers license in january (again, $350) but I now have to put my dreams on hold. I know it's for the sake of my health, but I just hate how things seem to go so well and something like this happens.

I also am really scared for the root canal. I remember I had one years ago, but I don't remember it at all and it was one of the reasons I eventually stopped going to the dentist altogether. Will it offer immediate relief from the pain and swelling in my face? How much will it hurt during and after? I have to get a crown within the next few years, will it look different than the rest of my teeth (it's a front tooth) like will it be shiny or white or whatever? I'm so worried it will stand out.

Thanks for reading and replying, I need some uplifting words right now.

Hi

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

First, root canals are not painful. They are just like a filling but take a bit longer. You should have immediate relief from the pain. It might be a bit sore for a day or two afterwards but nothing some ibuprofen will not handle.

If the tooth needs to be crowned the crown will be shaded to match the rest of your teeth and blend in without problems. They might start you on a course of antibiotics to take care of the infection before any work is started. This can also help with pain.

Will the dentist take payments for the $300? If they are willing to take less for the procedure they might be willing to take payments.

It is best to get this taken care of so it does not continue to hurt and stay infected. I am sure you can work something out with the dentist.

Blessings :)

Hi

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

First, root canals are not painful. They are just like a filling but take a bit longer. You should have immediate relief from the pain. It might be a bit sore for a day or two afterwards but nothing some ibuprofen will not handle.

If the tooth needs to be crowned the crown will be shaded to match the rest of your teeth and blend in without problems. They might start you on a course of antibiotics to take care of the infection before any work is started. This can also help with pain.

Will the dentist take payments for the $300? If they are willing to take less for the procedure they might be willing to take payments.

It is best to get this taken care of so it does not continue to hurt and stay infected. I am sure you can work something out with the dentist.

Blessings :)

Thank you for replying, you were one of the biggest reasons I went to the dentist last year.

The dentist mentioned that it was because of a deep filling that is causing this (and gas in my face causing swelling or something?)

I'm very glad to hear the root canal won't be anything big. I got started on antibiotics on Monday when I visited the hospital. He prescribed me more though because he said it was still a "big ball" and he wanted it smaller by the time I went in.

I'm also glad to hear the crown will blend in, I'm so worried it will stand out and look so fake, agh.

I'm not sure if the dentist will take payments, I told him about the bursary from my school, and I think that if I get that I'll be able to give it all to him. But I will definitely ask him if I can make payments if it comes to that.

You're right, taking care of my health is so important, even if it will sting my pockets a little bit.

How hard is it to get numb if there is an infection? What would they do if I couldn't get numb?

:welcome:from, me, too. When I saw the title of your post, it screamed "me" all the way. Last year, I, too, had a root canal (my first ever) with no insurance and no job. My dentist discounted the procedure and also allowed me to pay in installments.

Before treatment started, I took amoxicillin for a week to clear out the infection. The rct procedure went easier than I ever could have dreamed. I was terrified despite not being a dental phobe (just a needle one). My dentist could not have been any gentler with or kinder to me throughout. As for the "shot" in case that scares you, the numbing gel truly works wonders. Just make sure it is generously applied and left on long enough to take full effect.

You will do fantastic and feel so much better afterward.

All the best,
Mona

Hi

You are welcome

Since you are on antibiotics the infection should clear up in a few days. Getting numb should not be an issue. The newer anesthetics work much better. The whole process should be straight forward and without issues.

Take Care :)

:welcome:from, me, too. When I saw the title of your post, it screamed "me" all the way. Last year, I, too, had a root canal (my first ever) with no insurance and no job. My dentist discounted the procedure and also allowed me to pay in installments.

Before treatment started, I took amoxicillin for a week to clear out the infection. The rct procedure went easier than I ever could have dreamed. I was terrified despite not being a dental phobe (just a needle one). My dentist could not have been any gentler with or kinder to me throughout. As for the "shot" in case that scares you, the numbing gel truly works wonders. Just make sure it is generously applied and left on long enough to take full effect.

You will do fantastic and feel so much better afterward.

All the best,
Mona

Oh god it's no fun is it?? I'm glad your dentist was accommodating. I'm so lucky to have found a dentist like mine! I'm not too much of a needle phobe, my dentist is really painless getting the numbing going :)

Hi

You are welcome

Since you are on antibiotics the infection should clear up in a few days. Getting numb should not be an issue. The newer anesthetics work much better. The whole process should be straight forward and without issues.

Take Care :)

He prescribed me more antibiotics since I have been on them since Monday night and it hasn't really cleared up. I hope they start working, I cannot take this much longer. The next 10 days will feel like forever.

How do they get a crown in if there isn't much space between my teeth? Do they just shove it in or file it down a bit so it will fit? I'm worried about this also.

Hi

The antibiotics should kick in any day. The process of fitting a crown is not hard, even if teeth are close. When the root canal is done the tooth is shaped and built up to accommodate the new crown/ Impressions are taken before any work starts. While the root canal is being done a temp crown is made. This is shaped to fit the tooth. The temp crown is cemented in place. The permanent crown is made in the lab and will be a perfect fit. It is an easy process and the crown fits like a piece in a jigsaw puzzle.

Again, no worries :)

Hi

The antibiotics should kick in any day. The process of fitting a crown is not hard, even if teeth are close. When the root canal is done the tooth is shaped and built up to accommodate the new crown/ Impressions are taken before any work starts. While the root canal is being done a temp crown is made. This is shaped to fit the tooth. The temp crown is cemented in place. The permanent crown is made in the lab and will be a perfect fit. It is an easy process and the crown fits like a piece in a jigsaw puzzle.

Again, no worries :)

But I won't be getting the crown for several months, not until I finally get some insurance. I guess it's a bridge I'll cross then. so scaryy.

I second what Stress Doc said. The crown is custom made for your individual tooth, it will fit perfectly, like a second "skin." I'm glad to hear you think so highly of your dentist, that's wonderful and truly makes all the difference. You'll do great and soon be on your way to feeling much, MUCH better.

:hug2:

Mona

But I won't be getting the crown for several months, not until I finally get some insurance. I guess it's a bridge I'll cross then. so scaryy.

In that case, the rct'd tooth will be filled with gutta percha then built up with composite probably. The outside of the tooth won't be touched at all until the actual crown prep appointment.

Aghhh appointment tomorrow. Starting to get really nervous. I think the drill will scare me the most, after that it will be easy peasy (I hope...)

You'll be fine. I had my second ever rct a few months ago and it was totally painless and is now sporting my first ever crown! I waited to make sure rct had worked before doing the crown.
:grouphug:

how bad is the drill? how long does it drill for? asdfasdfasdfad getting so nervous

AHHH ALL DONE!
that wassss so great. he stopped every so often to check on me, and it was so great. 100% painless (except for the first needle but it was a pinch) it was just uncomfortable with all the pushing but i just closed my eyes and let it do its thing
can't believe i did that. just need to go for a permanent filling in 2 weeks or so, but that'll be really quick.
now i just need to get rid of this annoying numbness :p

Back