• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Seriously freaking out

F

freakedoutincali

A couple of months ago, I was chewing gum and a piece of a tooth just popped out into the gum. Now, I know this is horrible, but I haven't gotten it fixed yet. It doesn't hurt at all and I just don't have the money, but more importantly, I am TERRIFIED of the dentist. Now, this is not with no good reason. I mean, everyone is a little freaked out by the dentist. But I had a really bad experience with the last dentist I went to. I had a bad cavity that needed a root canal, and she actually mocked me for not having it taken care of sooner (I actually had no idea I had a cavity until my tooth started hurting, and I went in like 5 days later). She called in her colleagues to look at my film and laugh and me, and she purposely hurt me at one point- jabbing me with an instrument as hard as she could, and saying, "see? That's why you have to go to the dentist sooner when you have a problem."

So I know it's dumb, and I know I have to go, and I actually have been saving and plan to go in the next two weeks, but I am so scared that I am sitting here crying thinking about it. I have no idea how much it's going to cost, and I am so freaked out that the dentist will humiliate me and make me feel horrible about myself. I actually do try to take really good care of myself, but this came at a bad time and I just couldn't take care of it right away. I keep trying to tell myself that it'll just be for an hour or two, and then I won't have to worry about it anymore, but I'm really scared.

Thanks for giving me a place to vent. I know what I've got to do, I'm just seriously freaked ot and hoping to find a dentist with more compassion.

not dumb at all dont worry about your anxiety, all of us on here have it, we are learning to overcome it, i have a great dentist and yet when i went for a toothache and he had to get the filling out he decided to do it with out novocaine and try to rip it right out, yep it hurt, hurt like hell, but that was the workst of it, he novocaine me very well i should say and didnt feel a thing, until two days later, but that is ok too, because it went away, but as long as nothing about my upcoming extractions hurts like that i will be ok so will you. remember you are in control you tell them what you want, and keep in mind my little weapon i tell the hygenist ifyou keep poking me with that thing i am going to take it from you and poke you back with it

First things first.... FIND ANOTHER DENTIST! That was completely uncalled for. You need to find a dentist that is sensitive to your fears. Maybe you could even take a little something before you go to calm you. It is such a shame that there are people like that in this world that get to practice dentistry. You are in control. It is your life and your teeth. You will be ok... that is not the way it should be. You find a good dentist and you will be just fine. You will be amazed by the difference. Keep us posted.

I'm just seriously freaked ot and hoping to find a dentist with more compassion.

You could hardly find one with less compassion, by the sound of it :mad:. Good luck !

Hi. I`m a dentist, and I`m horrified by the treatment you had. I know it`s sometimes difficult finding a dentist at all, let alone a sympathetic one, but you should find a dentist who will listen to you and help solve the problems without humiliating you.
Speak to whichever dentist you see about your fears. It should be possible to put control in your hands by arranging a simple signal to let them know if you are uncomfortable or need a rest.
Good luck

The only reason any of us, except the dentists, are on this board is because we all have a fear of dentists in different degrees.

Shop around if you can and find a dentist you feel comfortable with, who will take your phobia seriously, and who will work with you to help desensitize you to the whole dental office thing.

I wish more dentists would realize that if they just took the time to educate themselves about the seriousness of dental phobia, and offered their most phobic patients a chance to s-l-o-w-l-y desensitize, not only would they make a lot of people happy, but I'm sure their business would skyrocket from word-of-mouth business.