• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth extraction with just local anesthetic?

U

usrnm

Earlier this year I noticed my gums in the bottom back of my mouth were getting swollen and uncomfortable. It would be off and on, not constant. Eventually I noticed I had teeth poking through. After a few months, they're still only partially erupted. I THINK the bottom two might be partially impacted. And I THINK I may have pericoronitis near the right one because of this. But I'm no dentist. I just looked it up online, so I could be wrong.

Anyway, I am getting the two pulled soon. :jump: I don't want to be put under if I can help it. I was wondering if anyone on here has gotten their wisdom teeth out only using the local anesthetic (and no sedation). How was the experience? Was it bad at all? Was it similar to getting fillings? I've had a few fillings with just numbing and I'm completely comfortable with the procedure, so no conscious sedation or anything is ever needed. Believe it or not, I found the procedure to be kind of relaxing.

So should I just get the LA?

Wow, it seems like alot of us want to know this same thing. You, bumblebee and I have been asking simular questions. I will be interested in seeing the responses.

I'm interested in the answer to this too!

Please check out the thread called "cant do it".... there is an answer in there.

Hi. I`m a dentist and I`ve also had experience of having wisdom teeth extracted.
If you`ve had fillings under LA, the feeling is similar (you shouldnt feel any pain) but there is a lot more pressure involved which is different to having a filling and may be a bit more unpleasant. But to repeat, shouldnt be painful.
Only thing to add, is do you really need them out, as currengt guidelines insist we avoid this if there is any chance of the teeth erupting fully eventually.

I had all 4 wizzies out by LA only. Mind you not all 4 at the same time, 2 at a time, top and bottom. The bottom ones are uncomfortable to get out due to the pressure being exerted on your jaw and the jaw joint. But the surgeon usually helps by keeping your jaw in place with his hand as best as possible. The pressure cannot be avoided unfortunetly. The uppers were easier to extract at least for me. The pressure feels less, but again it involves pulling.

In the case of LA ALWAYS tell your surgeon if you feel even the tinniest amount of pain, so that more LA can be added. And ask for breaks if you need to. I needed to since my jaw clenches from time to time.

All in all it is not a bad experience, just uncomfortable, and everything can be over and done with within 30-40 minutes. With sutures and all. :) I hope that helps.

OH One thing, you need to eat before the appointment, and if possible take some calcium and magnesium supliments before hand, so you don't end up like me and faint when you get home :p.

Back