• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help after extraction of all upper teeth

C

chrism

I reacentley had all the teeth taken out from my top jaw and have been given a intermediate denture, befor the procedure i was told that this would help me with eating and would help make my mouth look normal after the extractions, i was also told that i could put it in straight after the extractions (Same Day).

After putting off having the work done several times i decided to have it done desite having no pain befor and other than cosmetic reasons and my dentest refusing to treat me if i didn't, i had no other reason to have to work done.

last wednesday i went for a fitting with my dentist, he made some adjustments, when he had done them he said that this denture is prity much useless and i probebly wouldnt be able to use it for eating, despite him saying i would only a week befor! i was also unable to wear the denture after he had adjusted it due to swelling and was told to leave it a few days

i have since returned to the dentist and had it adjusted even more and now it fits without pain but i am unable to wear it as it makes me want to throw up!

also during my last visit i also mentioned that i have felt sick since having the work done to which i got the reply "it will be the pain killers" but i'm no longer taking pain killers as they arent doing anything.

I now wish i had not gone ahead with it and would now be looking for a new dentist insted of feeling like i have ruiend my life by having this work done!

I have trouble eating anything other than soup which is getting boring after 10 days and the denture which should help makes me sick.

can somone please give me some advice as i can't cope and i am getting very depressed.

Hi Chrism,
I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this. I had all my teeth extracted 4 weeks ago last friday. I know that the top is hard to deal with, when I eat things I still feel afraid of choking but I just eat very carefully. I have only progressed to chewing very soft things in the last week so give it some time, I thought i would be eating normally after a week but I still am struggling.
I'm not sure where you are and why this dentist seems so uncaring but my only advice is to tell them exactly what you are going through and you obviously paid for this service and they should do anything possible to make you comfortable.
I am struggling alot with my bottom still but they tell me it is just going to take time. That is the only thing I can tell you right now is to be patient, try to wear them as much as you can or you are not going to be comfortable in them.
Good luck and I'm sorry I don't have alot of advice other than to just try and hang in there and get used to them.

thank you for your reply. i dont pay for treatment i have an exemption. i also forgot to mention i'm diabetic.

I'm sorry you are going through all this. Would it be possible to find a new dentist and see they might be more help to you?

my dentist is the only one in the area accepting new patents, my wife did suggest trying the emergancy dentist tho so might give that a try

Back