• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Help! Gums aren't healing after scaling

V

vgor

In April of this year I had a gum scaling to my upper and lower front gums for gingivitis(they were red, puffy and bled when I brushed), and in the first few days they seemed to be getting better but that didn't last long. They were not as red and the bleeding stopped, but there was still puffiness and redness to 'tips' of gum between the teeth and they seemed to be getting worse. I went back to the dentist in August and another deep cleaning was done, my gums are still puffy and a darker pink on the tips. Why won't they heal? Is this scarring?
I brush twice a day, floss after every meal and use mouth wash.:confused:
I have some holes in my teeth at the back that need some fillings, could bacteria from them be affecting the healing? I have no idea what's going on can someone please explain! :( :(

Last edited:
It's hard to say without seeing what's going on. How's your general health? Have you been shown by a hygienist how to properly clean your teeth and gums? Quite often folks think they're doing a good job with a brush but they're not really.

Your theory about bacterial infection is a good one but it doesn't seem to work out like that, they bugs are different; it's still not a good idea to leave teeth with active decay in them though.

Thank you for replying to my post :)

They have improved since getting them treated but it just stops there and slowly gets more puffy etc. I don't have any health problems, i'm 23 and female. Poor gums and teeth run in both sides of my family....though my parents simply didn't take care of them. I have been shown how to brush and floss properly and I'm pretty sure I'm doing a decent job of it? Maybe I need a re-cap.

I would love any explanation or advice for this, I feel helpless because everyone says it should have just gone back to normal.

Back