• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pregnant and need a tooth pulled.

M

Mom2Be117

ok so i went to the dentist today for the first time in 10 years, last time i went i was 10 yrs old and had 5 fillings. one of the fillings i had was my lower right molar and the cavity was pretty deep. well trough out the years 2 areas on that tooth have broken off. i havent eaten on the right side of my mouth in over 2 years. i was told today i need to get it pulled, and im TERRIFIED!!! everyone keeps telling me i will be fine, and that its nothing. but of course, im not buyin it. im scared im going to bleed to death and die. i know it sounds crazy but im quite sure its possible. im verrrry scared, and to top it off, im 4 months pregnant and very stressed about this tooth incovienece(not spelled right, i know lol) is there anyone that can help me?:cry:

Hi Mom2Be. First let me congratulate you on your pregnancy! Now..the dentist. If you haven't been in ten years you will be surprised at how much things have improved. (I was!) Trust me..you will not bleed to death. I had ALL my teeth pulled..and I'm still here. ;)
I learned the hard way it's better to just rally up your courage and get it done than to put it off. Putting it off won't make it go away..it only makes for more work to be done.
You can do this...honest you can. :XXLhug:

thank u and thank u so much for ur reply. i was on this site for like 2 hours lastnight, and made me feel a little better. im so scared of everything from doctors offices, to the dentist. its horrible and i wish i wasnt like this. i hope i can be strong and get it over with, i know i have to, i even want to. but the fear is so overwhelming=/ hopefully by next wednesday im a little more prepared

I do know the feeling. I've always been dental phobic..doctor phobic..terrified of needles. Needless to say I let my health go for a long time due to those fears. *sigh* Reading here really does help a lot. Just knowing you aren't crazy and there are LOTS of people who share the same fears helps. When I finally went to the dentist I honestly felt like a bunch of people from here were standing right behind me saying "You can do it!"
You can to! :)

Hello mom2Be

Congratulations for your pregnancy.
It is not easy to treat a pregnant woman (making roentgen photos for example) but the best time during the pregnancy for a dental procedure is the second trimester, it is still easy for the mom and safe for the baby.

You stated yourself that you need to gather the courage and motivation to stand against your anxiety from the dentist. It is helpful to use friends and family for that purpose, but I think you can use also your baby, treat your teeth for your future child.

There is much research pointing the connection between the oral health of the mother and her baby's health. The oral bacteria do not stay only in the mouth but they infiltrate to the blood circle and spread to the hall body.
Taking out the tooth will help you clean your hall body.

Use your future child as a source for motivation to face your fear.
Now is the best time!:jump:
:grouphug:
good-luck

ok so my appointment is in 3 days, and the fear has only gotten worse. i keep thinking of the most worst things that could happen. im so scared i will die. iv read a few stories of people dieing a couple weeks after getting there tooth pulled. could it be from health problems? medication they are taking?? idk? and would my OBGYN Dr know if something is wrong with my heart?? im so afraid something will go wrong. I hate this fear, i used to never be like this. what should i do? and will iknow if im gonna be ok?:confused:

ok so my appointment is in 3 days, and the fear has only gotten worse. i keep thinking of the most worst things that could happen. im so scared i will die. iv read a few stories of people dieing a couple weeks after getting there tooth pulled. could it be from health problems? medication they are taking?? idk? and would my OBGYN Dr know if something is wrong with my heart?? im so afraid something will go wrong. I hate this fear, i used to never be like this. what should i do? and will iknow if im gonna be ok?:confused:

Wisdom teeth removal is very common, and in the US extremely common. To the best of my knowledge people aren't dying from this. I have no personal experience but a friend told me she thinks getting teeth extracted is easier than getting a filling, as it's quicker and less noisy (no drill).

I'm not a medical person at all, but I'd imagine your heart would be checked due to you being pregnant, due to childbirth. That's just a guess though.

well luckily its not my wisdom tooth. its my first molar, it has a filling in it, and parts of my tooth broke off during the past couple years. it has a small little place where its decayed, just a little bit. im wondering if its best to wait after i have the baby, this whole tooth problem has been stressing me out so bad, and i know its gonna be 10x worse when im sitting in that waiting room. i just dont know what to do

Hi mom2be. Are you sure there is no other alternative than to pull it? Is a root canal and crown a possibility? Unless it is broken to the gum line, a tooth can usually be saved- even then they can do some fancy stuff to save it. First molars are kind of important.

If the tooth is abscessed/infected and you have no other options then you should get it out now- an infection during pregnancy as Dr Daniel said, is not ideal. The fretting about it is not good for you either. I've not heard of anyone bleeding to death from a tooth being pulled-honestly, even if you are normally a bleeder (which is highly doubtful and you would know that) there are gel foams and stitches and all sorts of things to make sure that doesn't happen.

You have more important things to start planning for now than worrying about that tooth- :cloud9:. The best thing you can do is talk over your alternatives with a dentist you trust.

rp

yeah the tooth is broken at the gum line, and theres a small small area of decay. to me, honestly, it looks like there is some way to fix it. i think hes just a shitty dentist that just doesnt want to take his time to fix it. its a real shit hole. but one of the only places that will take my insurance. its not infected or anything its just sensitive and hurts every once in a while. and i dont really even feel comfortable with the dentist, hes actually kinda mean:(
i was really hoping they could save it, and im sure it could be saved, i wonder if u should get a second opinion from another dentist?

If you're not sure, get a second opinion, make it clear you would like to save your tooth if possible.

And if you feel that way about your dentist- most definetly find another you can trust.

I had two teeth pulled when I was pregnant. They used only Novocaine and it was not terribly bad.

ok so as u know my appointment was on wednesday. my fear got the best of me and i canceled. and to my luck, the pain is back again and its horrible. i can barely eat. so right when i got up today i sceduled the appointment again. i just hope they dont make me wait a week again.i know i need it out, and if they can give a appointment for monday atleast, i'll still have the drive to go. im so scared. the pain of the procedure isnt wat bothers me. im scared i will die. iv read stories about it, and i know i shudnt have cuz its got me in a panic.

You will not die. If you follow the instructions they give you and take any antibiotics as prescribed, you will be fine.

I was worried about the same thing as you for my impacted wisdom teeth. I have a heart murmur and my OS assures me I will be fine as long as I take the antibiotics, and even then they are only given as a precaution. My grandma also has this problem, and said her full upper extraction was the easiest, least-painful procedure she ever had. You would know if you had a murmur or valve problem, as any doctor who listened to your heart would hear it and let you know. You also will not bleed to death. They are prepared to stop the bleeding in any case.

I've put my wisdom teeth off for five years, and now they are too expensive for me to fix anytime in the near future. I would give anything to be able to get this over with, although I'm still afraid. But I'm more afraid of having these broken teeth in my gums for an unknown amount of time!

Perhaps you would feel better to bring up your concerns with the dentist. He would likely assure you that everything will be fine and that dentists are well-prepared for such things. If you feel uncomfortable with your dentist, maybe it would be a better idea to call or email another dentist in your area with your concerns and fears.

Good luck! Please remember, it is best to just get it over with for your health and the baby's, as this is just an unnecessary amount of stress. It's normal to be afraid, but think of how much stronger you'll be knowing you were able to face your fear and realize it's not as bad as you thought.

will he for sure give me antibiotics?? or does it have to be infected in order to get them? the pain hurts soooo bad its so miserable...idk why it has to start hurting during the weekend, when dentists arent in. i really hope they can get me in on monday. my insurance only limits me to certain dentists and this one is the closest one to me=[

well im going to the dentist in about an hour. im soooooo scared!!!! i didnt get no sleep and iv been feeling like im going to puke all morning. i hope everything will be ok=[ ugh this sucks i wish i had gud teeth lol. i hate this, i feel like my heart is going to rip thru my chest...well i will try to post something when i get back

I hope everything went ok for you :grouphug:

well i wasnt able to get in today. they wouldnt take me. but i have an appointment for 11:00am tomorrow. hope this fear will go away, being scared is a feeling no one likes. i hope when this is over i can come on here and be like everyone else: over their fear. wish me luck. and thanks everyone for the support;D

All the best for tomorrow :XXLhug:!!

well i did it!!! but i was not happy about it lol. i was one of the unlucky ones i guess cuz that crap hurt!!!! what made it worse was that it was infected pretty bad. it got pulled out at about 1:30 2:00pm. and i still havent really drank anything and i have not eaten. i dont know how ppl drink or eat after this. but all in all i did it and i cannot wait till this heals up

Back