Thread: Dry socket or not?

Default Dry socket or not?

1- When and if I get/have a dry socket, when do you feel the pain? Right away? In a few hours? A day or so later?
      #2- And, what does a dry socket look like?

#3- I looked at it last night (Sat. 11/20) It looks like most of my "high/big" dark red blood clot (which filled the hole) has gone (only after 5 days, which is fast for me since I am a slow healer) and just a little red remains in the 'hole' and a few little 'white' dots (don't know if it is food or something that should be there - didn't want to pick at it) - and area is still glossy.
      And that is why I thought the clot might have fallen out and I might have dry socket. But I didn't know when the pain was supposed to begin.
      That was last night (Sat.) and I do not have any pain, as of now.
      This is all so confusing and scary.

#4- What do you do if you look at the socket and see 'white' stuff there? Don't know if it is food or something that should be there. I've been doing the 1/2 teaspoon salt and cup warm water rinse (every day) in morning, before bed, and after every meal. Before bed = brushing lightly (no toothpaste) and flossing and the rinse. In the morning just the light brushing and rinse.
      Can anyone ease my mind? I am 74 years old and live in NY.
      Last edited by alicez; 21st November 2010 at 22:44.

Default Re: Dry socket or not?

I have not had a dry socket but my sister has. When she had it she said it looked like a hole in her gum. Hers happened after a week, which was after her stitches came out. Hers was very painful. I think the white film is normal. After a while I had a white film across the extraction site. I think my stitches were white or clear. Either way it was yucky. It took the bottom almost three weeks for the stitches to dissolve. It could be the stitches too if you have them. I know that I had it with my extractions. It is normal that much I know. Just do not play with it. I am unsure what color the clot is supposed to be. I would not look in my mouth (to chicken) but I had my significant other look quite often. I just asked him and he said the clot was a dark red and had some white which were the stitches. I hope I helped. Best of luck to you.

I've never had one either, but I had my 4 wisdom teeth out close to 4 days ago. So I've been a bit paranoid about getting a dry socket too. The one extraction site I can get a good look at is glossy and has a white spot in it. I really can't get the best look at it since it still hurts to open my mouth. It does hurt a bit back there, but other than that I think it is normal.

Hello
      Dry socket has two simple signs which the patientcan himself notice:
      1) Extremely strong pain which does not improve with pain killers (even the strongest ones). Only carefull rinsing at the dental office can ease the pain. The pain usually begins the day after the extraction.
      2) Horibble taste and smell in the mouth

Please remember that the chances for a dry socket are very low and it is only for the dentist to diagnose and to treat it.
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

What I want to know is:

After a blood clot falls out, (and you have/get dry socket) how soon AFTER that does one feel pain?
      When does the pain BEGIN?
      IMMEDIATELY after the blood clot falls out?
      An HOUR after the blood clot falls out?
      The NEXT day?
      When?

If a blood clot falls out and you don't feel any pain right away or the next day, then it is quite certain you don't have dry socket. Would that be correct?

The pain comes the following day after the blood clot is gone.
      What happens is that the wounded tissue secrates very slowly but steadily, also chemicals that do not allow blood clotting (mainly electrolytes and lytic enzymes). That's why it is important that the clot if formed from the beginning, afterwords it is implossible.
      Regarding the pain, these electrolytes and lytic enzymes mentioned above desolve also other tissues, leading eventually to exposed bone tissue, and than it becomes painfull!
      It takes time for this to happen, about a day.
      Hope it was informative enough
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

i just got my wisdom teeth taken out YESTERDAY & i have white stuff in the sockets & idont think its food but what could it be?! im FREAKING out cuz i dont want to get dry socket, PLEASE HELP!

The white stuff is usually normal, it is tissue that forms as part of the healing process. Follow your aftercare instuctions and you should be okay.

If you get really bad pain that painkillers won't stop, or if you are worried then contact your dentist and let them have a look. You are usually safe from dry socket 72 hours after the extraction, so when you rinse your mouth out with the salt water let it dribble out, no spitting, you can brush your teeth but be careful around the extraction site. No using straws or smoking for as long as you can do without if you smoke.

Good luck Let us know how you get on with the healing.