• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having 3 "simple" extractions, scared

Camisa

Camisa

I am scheduled, on Dec 29th, to have three molars removed - two on the left side (1 top, 1 bottom) and one the right side (bottom).

One is an erupted wisdom tooth (bottom right)
The other two are erupted second molars with failed amalgam fillings.

I am really scared because I have never had more than 1 tooth removed before. Also, the tooth I did have removed, last year, was surgically extracted and sectioned, etc. It was a bit of an invasive extraction, a second molar, and the recovery was tough for the first few days.
I am wondering if the recovery from these 3 teeth that need removed by being a "simple extraction" will be as tough as the surgical extraction I had last year, of the 1 tooth.

I know simple extractions are "less traumatic" but I am really scared that this will be as bad or worse than last year's ordeal.

It will be under IV sedation and I am familiar with that, but yet I am still scared to death of it. I am one of those who hates to lose control, but my fear prevents me from sitting still, so the IV sedation is necessary for me.

Any help, hugs, experience and advice are greatly appreciated..

I'm sure you can do it. I just had all my upper teeth removed in one go without an IV. Because it didn't work...

But honestly it was like getting one taken out, just sitting there longer. It didn't hurt while it was being done, I just felt some pressure. The usual stuff!

And I'm sure the day after will be much easier for you than it is for me. :)

And don't worry about your IV not working, they said I was like a one in a bajillion case or something like that.

I think you'll be fine. I just had five extracted and they came out clean. I had NO swelling, No bruising, nothing. They bled for only like four hours! :)

Drink LOTS of fluids even before you go...eat lots of healthy foods.

You guys are definitely admirable to me! I am glad to hear everything worked out!!

I guess I am most frightened by these three issues:

1. Afraid of bleeding too much - anyone know how much blood is lost with about 3 simple extractions????

2. Pain..... the extractions will be upper & lower, 2 on left and 1 on right.... I do not take pain medication of any kind for any reason. However, I do not like pain! What am I in for.....? :censored:

3. Swallowing too much blood while I am under - heard that swallowing too much blood would make me sick, but just not sure of how much blood will be lost.

I had 9 extractions done 2 years ago. Mostly upper (both left and right sides) teeth, 2 wizzies on top, 1 molar on left bottom.
I had IV sedation.....it worked out great for me. They numbed up my hand first, put the IV needle in....few minutes later, off to sleepyland I went.
I did wake up a couple times during, but felt no pain, and went right back to sleepyland again.
I bled a bit, but nothing that was too bad or made me sick.
The recovery, at least for me, was very easy. Really didn't have too much pain afterward. I did take my Rx pain med as a precaution the night of my extractions, but really didn't need too much in the way of pain meds after that!!
If I ever needed any major dental work done again, I would not hesitate to use IV sedation again.
You will have to eat soft foods for awhile afterward......applesauce, mashed potatoes, smooth yogurt, hummus is good too.
Hope that helps!
You will do fine!!!!
A giant :hug2:!!!

I do not take pain medication of any kind for any reason. However, I do not like pain! What am I in for.....? :censored:

I think the short answer is "a self-inflicted injury" if you're unfortunate. ;D

Having said that, the pain from extractions is not nearly so bad as toothache so you might find that you sail through this. But by setting your face against all painkillers you are certainly not making things any easier for yourself.

John

I agree with biffo. When taken as prescribed, Rx pain meds are a godsend!
Even ibuprofen helps out.
I also don't like taking pain meds, but I realize there are situations when you need them. I think tooth extractions are one of those situations. Why suffer needlessly after your extractions?
Is there a medical reason why you don't take pain meds?? If so, you might want to discuss this with your dentist and/or doctor to see what alternatives there are for you.
Take care,
:hug2:'s,
Jen

Hey
The difference between an "easy" extraction to a surgical one is that the first does not involve only the tooth it self (and the ligaments that hold it) with out the surrounding tissue.
With an easy extraction, the only effected tissue is the socket which holds the tooth, that means local inflammation and minimal post operative pain for a short period of time (24h). With a surgical extraction the gums and bone tissue are also effected and they usually react with larger inflammation in the extraction area.:cry:
What can help is taking an anti inflammatory (NSAID like ibuprofen) just before the extraction, after consulting with the dentist of course, and that reduces the inflammation and thus the pain. :)
Regarding bleeding: theoretically speaking, for a healthy recovery of the socket, there should not bleeding. However, there is always a small extent of bleeding, not a streaming one but a drop of two might leave the socket, so it is possible to feel the taste of blood in the mouth even if everything is going well, so the taste is not an indicator. :innocent:
In any case, the first 48h are the critical ones regarding post operative pain and good tissue healing.:jump:

Had three extractions...upper and lower. Nitrous and pre-appointment Rx with novacain. The EASIEST steps in my journey, no doubt. About 2 drops of blood (seriously). Took a few tylenol as a precaution before the numbing wore off and never needed anything else.
Best thing to do...gentle saline rinse 5-6 times a day afterwards. Soft foods that require NO chewing for at least a week. Sleep! No toothbrush in that area...use an alchohol-free mouthwash but DON'T swish. Be gentle with your extraction sites and they will repay you with no discomfort.
Really and truly - I'd take an extraction over a cavity filling ANY DAY.
Best wishes!

Back