• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wish me luck.

R

Redfield

I'm off to see my dentist shortly for an appointment at 12:10 (UK time).

My troublesome tooth is possibly being extracted, depending on whether my dentist thinks it can be done. If she can't I don't know what I'll do because the two antibiotics offered, amox' and metro', don't seem to work anymore.

At the same though, extraction is my biggest fear and I feel sick to the core.

Anyway, I'd better get a move on. Hopefully I'll be posting something later along the lines of - I FEEL SO STUPID, THAT WAS NOT WORTH THE WORRY! But we'll see.

:sick::censored::o

how are you feeling now? is it all done? the tooth out?
i hope you are ok and not in any pain !! let us know how you got on, i will be thinking of you :grouphug:

I hope it went well for you:grouphug:

I hope everything went OK for you today :)

I have just come back from my appointment at 11.25 (UK) and have had what was left of my tooth removed. It wasnt as bad as I though it would be and im glad its finally over although I still have alot of work left to get done.

Fiddlesticks!

The dentist wasn't able to extract today because there's so much of the infection still present around the tooth, however I am now booked in next Tuesday and although I'm scared witless I simply cannot wait for it to be removed.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone and I'm glad your extraction went well, ellax. :jump:

Edit: My dentist and I also chatted for a while and she's insisted that everything will be done at my pace. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Redfield, it's a shame you couldn't get it out today while you were already there, but I'm sure you will be fine on Tuesday.

This was my first extraction since being a child and I can honestly say it's nowhere near as scary as we think it is going to be. I choose to go private as I didn't have a NHS dentist so I was in there over an hour with the dentist, but the time in the chair from the start of injections to the tooth being out (in 2 parts) was only 20 minutes, yes it was very uncomfortable but the releif is huge when you have been having problems with a tooth for years.

Good luck on Tuesday, let us know how you get on :)

Too bad you have to wait but it will be WELL worth it. Getting an infected tooth out doesn't just stop the pain from the tooth...it makes your entire body feel better. Good luck and it will be over quicker then you know it!

:grouphug:

Today's the day.

I feel sick with worry. :censored::sick:

Edit: I fail. Got to the dentist's surgery, even got in the chair, then left with my tail between my legs. :(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that today didn't go well for you :(. Congratulations though for making it as far as the chair :thumbsup:!

You mentioned in another thread that there was a possibility of being transferred to the community dental service to have it removed under IV sedation but that it might be a two month wait. I was wondering if they might be able to fit you in earlier if you are flexible time-wise? Sometimes there are cancellations so depending on how far away they are and how flexible you are, they might be able to fit you in earlier?

Thanks for the encouragement letsconnect! :)

Funnily enough the referral letter came through this morning, so I called as soon as I got back home. I have an appointment booked for the 16th however that's just for an assessment, not the extraction. I asked the receptionist how long after the assessment could I expect the extraction and she believes there's something incredible/ridiculous/unbelievable like a 27 weeks waiting list for sedation, but that the dental surgeon would be able to give me a better idea. I sincerely hope it's not 27 weeks.

There's no such thing as "fail"...you took major steps today, but just haven't finished yet. Be proud of getting into the chair! And truly, from my own recent experience, extractions are usually "easy". My dentist offers IV sedation but I went with pre-appt meds, nitrous and lots of novocain. No dicomfort during the extractions and bone grafting, and only minor discomfort afterwards. I healed all three times without a hitch...and I'm a smoker and wine drinker. God willing, I'll never need another, but if I do I know for certain that it will be OK. My memories of infection pain will never leave me, and that's strong incentive!
Good luck with finishing this "little walk"!

Wot?? 27 weeks doesn't sound too good, does it :scared:... though I'd imagine it would be different if it was classed as an emergency (considering the amox and metro aren't working anymore). Are you in pain right now?

The other option (depending on finances of course) would be to go private... would that be possible for you at all?

As mghstl said, there's no such thing as "fail" :) - you did great getting as far as you got :respect:!

Thanks for the support, I really appreciate it! :jump:

Smoker and whisky drinker here, mghstl... and God knows I've gone through about a gallon of Laphroaig in the last few weeks - for the numbing effects of course. ;);D:giggle::hic:

I probably jumped the gun a little by saying the Metronidazole no longer works - it did eventually, just took a little longer to notice the effects/remove the pain. At present I'm in no pain but I'm sure it'll return soon enough, however my dentist has said I can pop in on the fly for a repeat prescription.

I would love to go private but alas we (my wife and I) have just had to have parts replaced in the boiler, the washing machine's just died, Christmas is coming and we have our first child on the way, so we're pretty strapped for cash at the moment. Out of interest, what could I expect to pay for private care?

Sorry to hear of the problems - why did you leave the appt? Did you decide you just had to be 'out of it' or did the dentist get impatient with your hesitation, or were there still numbing issues?

It is hard to say what it would cost privately since that would depend on the area and the practice (not all private is good) - I'd guess an extraction would be around 150 or even less and a similar sum for sedation but could be a lot less than that.