• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

impacted wisdom tooth extraction tomorrow

R

rockfan

Hi
8 or 9 years ago I started with pain in the side of my face/lower gum and was referred to the maxiofacial unit, who xrayed my mouth. They said I had an impacted wisdom tooth that was lying horizontally, but didn't want to remove it as it looked ok.
I then had CT scan/MRI scan/medication for epilepsy etc.... I have had accupuncture and a steroid injection into my neck....nothing worked. I have a tens machine and recently went to see a neurologist who tried me on anti anxiety tablets, but they didn't work either.
So after all these years, I went back to the hospital and they are now taking out the tooth, which has a cyst around it and has not come through the bone.

I am scared and I have been told that I have a very high risk of permanent nerve damage. The pain in my face is very bad at times and the only way of stopping it is to go to sleep. It gets me down too.

I'm still scared about tomorrow when I have it removed. I really hope it works, but I'm scared of the whole procedure. I hate being sick which I think is probably going to happen aswell.:redface:
=

First of all CONGRATS on getting it done. I've never had a cyst around any of my teeth. so I'm not familar with that, but I did have 4 impacted wisdom teeth. I had all 4 removed at the same time 15 years ago, from what I remember, it wasn't that horrible. I was terrified when I first went in, but when I woke up I don't remember being in much pain afterwards. The procedure is far less worst then the pain you are in right now. Can't wait to hear how it went.:)

good luck !!! the fear of whats going to happen during and after, is far far worse than the actual reality of it once that nasty tooth is removed, you will fel SOOOOa much better !! post back when you are up to it and let us all know how much calmer and pain free you feel :o)
:XXLhug::grouphug::sleepyjuice:

Rockfan, please let us know how everything went.

Thank you everyone . Just read your replies.
I'm back home with a swollen face and quite sore but feeling ok. The surgeon said he hasn't compromised the nerve and although cheek feels numbish as it's swollen the lip feels fine. I was so scared I would end up with a numb Tongue and lip as it was a very very high probability!
The worst time was last night feeling scared of the unknown . I even rang the Samaritans but he made me feel worst and raised his voice to me ...

Anyway it's done now and I so hope the chronic pain I have had for years has gone. Am eating a jelly and had 2 ibruprofen . I have antibiotics to take for a week too.:jump:

I'm so glad everything went ok and it's OVER! I sure hope this takes care of the pain you are having.

Back