• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Member! Help!!! Appointment today!

H

hisbeeswax

Hey All--
I've suffered from dental anxiety since I was about 7..I don't know what caused it, not bad experiences (crazy dentists and such) just..HATE going. So bad, I haven't been in 6-7 years. I called and made an appointment last week (which took courage..let me tell you..I can BARELY do that) and I have an appointment this afternoon for a cleaning.

They've prescribed me Lorazapam and told me to take 1mg an hour before my visit..can anyone vouge is this is enough? Should I take it closer to? They also told me they'd numb me up if I wanted to..I know there's going to be a lot of scraping, and I've got soft puffy gums that's most definitely gingivitis..and one of my teeth feels a little loose..particular to wear the gums are irritated the most.

Can anyone tell me what this cleaning will be like? What should I tell my hygienist up front? I'm so nervous writing this my hands are shaking..I just want this visit to go as simply as possible..and hopefully be the visit that breaks my dental anxiety.

I don't at all get nervous about the "shot" it's just that this is so evasive, I have no control, and I can't see what they're doing...FREAKS me out.

Please help!
Sincerely--
Frightened.:hidesbehindsofa:

:welcome: Get numbed up and you will be fine, a good idea anyway if your gums are sore - also ask for a stop signal to give you more control.

thanks Brit!
I had a terrible hygentist and ended up having a panic attack in the chair..but I made it through the appointment, with only four cavities and they scaled and cleaned everything..I was a little uncomfortable and today everything in there is kind of sore and loose-ish. Glad to say I made it through though!

Back