• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Filling front teeth (difficulty and injections)

G

Former Member
Hi,

I've to get a couple of fillings done to my front teeth. Is this work more complex than other fillings. Do the injections to front of mouth hurt (I have heard many horror stories). I have heard that these types of injection really sting (for a start). I am really beginning to get all worked up at the prospect of this work needing done (have bad phobia of any dental work as it is - even simple things like having a check up). Any advice / thoughts would be helpful.

Just trying to convince myself to make it to appointment.

Thanks

Re: Filling front teeth (difficulty/injections)

Not more complex, in some respects a bit easier to do since you can see what you're doing a bit better at the front. Injections in the upper front area can be a bit more uncomfortable than at the back IF the dentist is in too much of a hurry, the tissue there is tighter in most people and the solution can nip a bit if the dentist fires it in too fast.
However if your dentist is reasonably careful or uses a Wand or something similar then there shouldn't be any reason why the injection hurts more than anywhere else.

This is one of the areas where RA sedation is really useful though, both by relaxing you so that you're not so tense and can let the dentist stretch the tissue out of the way to let the LA solution slip in easier and also by its useful action of numbing up the lips and cheeks a bit.

Re: Filling front teeth (difficulty and injections

I think my dentist got 3 front then 4 sides teeth fillings i wonder if its be good idea ask for bleach my teeth after fillings and denture in so they all match same color

Hi Keith - dentures, fillings and the like cannot be bleached.

For the denture, you will need to sit down with your dentist and choose a colour.

For the lower teeth, if you want them whiter, you can use either over-the-counter products like Crest Whitestrips, or a bleaching tray which your dentist can make (he would also advise you on how to use it). However, it takes about 2 weeks to whiten teeth (unless you choose expensive in-office whitening), so you'd better start on it soon. The fillings can then be made in a colour that matches your teeth. If you do the fillings first and then bleach, the fillings will appear darker than the rest of the tooth.

Tooth whitening takes a bit of motivation (you have to wear the whitening tray every night, and the whitening strips have to be applied every day), so if you reckon it's too much hassle and you're happy enough with the colour of your teeth as it is, you might want to give it a miss. If however you're unhappy with the colour, discuss this with your dentist.

Hope this helps :) !

I've to get a couple of fillings done to my front teeth. Is this work more complex than other fillings. Do the injections to front of mouth hurt (I have heard many horror stories). I have heard that these types of injection really sting (for a start).

Hi Sam,

one of my front teeth needed a filling not long ago. The filling covered three sides of the tooth; in other words, it was a large filling.

I didn't feel the injection at all. My dentist applied the numbing gel first and then did the injection VERY SLOWLY. He always does this and I never feel the injections.

Do you know anyone else who goes to the same dentist? Then you could ask them what this particular dentist is like with injections.

G.

Back