• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dareker red line around gum of crown??

S

Strawberry310

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this. Ever since my permanent crown was put on four weeks ago I have a dark red line on the gum around the crown. I am getting very nervous that this is the start of an infection or an ill-fitting crown? How do I figure this out? Is this normal? None of the rest of my gums are red just where I have my one and only crown. Thanks so much

Go back to your dentist and ask them to check, it's impossible to say from here without seeing it.

they are back in the office on monday, so i will call for an appt then. have you ever heard of this before? i hope its okay

Yes, I have heard of it, (sorry, I should've expanded a bit on the answer) there could be a host of different things causing it, from simple stuff like a bit of extra cement being left in place, to complicated stuff like you having an allergy to one of the metallic components of the crown (if it's not all porcelain) so it's really hard to diagnose over the internet :)

just thought i would let you know i went to my dentist and he said there was a big piece of cement left on my tooth(not sure why), he took it off. so i guess that is what was irritating my gum. once again i freaked out over a very simple dental thing. maybe one of these days i will learn :)

Back