• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Depression

S

scared0902

I've worked very hard to get a handle on my fear, which I have. My new issue is depression over the state of my teeth and the future of my teeth.

I go to the dentist every four months and have great home care, but I ALWAYS need work. I'm 31 but every back tooth is filled with multiple fillings, and I have two crowns. I feel like there is no end in sight to my dental problems, which makes me feel kind of hopeless (emotionally and financially).

Does anyone else feel this way or have advice? I see a good therapist, but the progress has been slow, and I feel very alone in this.

Unfortunately there are people who, no matter how well they take care of their teeth, are going to have problems.
My brother, who goes to the dentist like once every couple of years (he does excellent home care) gets a GREAT check-up all the time. 43 years old and not a filling in that mouth. :mad:
Me, I go every 1-3 months ( my home care is great, also) and I seem to have nothing but problems.
The good thing is that since you go regularly to the dentist he'll/she'll be able to catch anything before it becomes a big problem.
:hug2:"s,
Jen

I've worked very hard to get a handle on my fear, which I have. My new issue is depression over the state of my teeth and the future of my teeth.

I go to the dentist every four months and have great home care, but I ALWAYS need work. I'm 31 but every back tooth is filled with multiple fillings, and I have two crowns. I feel like there is no end in sight to my dental problems, which makes me feel kind of hopeless (emotionally and financially).

Does anyone else feel this way or have advice? I see a good therapist, but the progress has been slow, and I feel very alone in this.

I'm exactly where you are. Everytime I go, something needs doing such as a filling or two and nearly everyother time I get one, it drops out and I'm back in the chair. As I get older, it seems my teeth are deterorating at an accelerating rate and despite my efforts to improve my dental cleaning regime, it seems to have no effect.

I can't offer any advice, but you are not alone in this. I can't remember the last time I had a "see you in six months" checkup. There's always something...:shame:

Yes, for years I felt exactly the way you do. It IS depressing! Who wants to walk around with a mouth full of yuck? And dentists are expensive - no doubt about it.

I guess what you have to do is decide if it's worth (both emotionally and financially) to keep getting your failing teeth fixed, or if the better option (again, emotionally and financially in the long run) is to have them removed and get a denture or implants. Not an easy decision but one worth considering especially because with perpetually "bad" teeth the decision WILL have to be made at some point.

Don't know if this helps. Just adding my two cents for what it's worth.

Big hug for you - I know how you feel! :hug2:

Thanks for your support! I think I will do what I can to keep my natural teeth for as long as possible as I have great gums, which my dentists says is the biggest issue in tooth loss. I probably will have to get implants at some point, but I think I'm probably 20 or more years away from that.

But I am guessing I'll have to get a crown and root canal on every back tooth which comes to about $15,000. Then implants which will be so much more. It's overwhelming even without the fear, which just doubles it.

I guess I should be happy I have a good dentist and am much recovered, but I still have my down days, especially when I talk to people with no issues who look down on me and think it is laziness or something. Even when they see me go to the bathroom after lunch with my toothbrush and floss!

Back