• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it

R

readershel

I went to the dentist today. :) I took everything in me to go too. I actually was developing a panic attack just being on the phone with them, and asked if I could come down as soon as possible before I chickened out. Which I did. I also asked while I was on the phone what would happen at this appointment. I told them about having an abscess and trying to do the home remedies. She told me that I would have my mouth looked at, possible x-ray and get antibiotics. When I went I filled out the paper work..near tears..husband was very supportive. Then sat for about 10 mins before I was taken back..all the while trying not to cry and run out. She came and got me and I was telling her how afraid I was and why. She didn't even have me lay back in the chair..she told me that I could just sit on the end. She looked in my mouth and said about it being swollen. She explained what would happen next..getting the dentist over and she woudl look in my mouth. She came over..I was still just sitting on the edge of the chair. She looked in my mouht and said about the abscess. Told me they would do an x-ray. The dental asst. took me over and explained everything that was going on. Then afterward..went back to the edge of the chair and they told me about sticking me on clindmycin. She said about coming back next week to extract 3 teeth. One that is full yet..but infected and 2 that the bottom is only there. She said that those would pop out easy. I asked about the other one, she said I would be numbed which she said is the hardest. She asked if I was going to be okay and they don't use the sleeping thing there. I'm going to try and have my chin up. Anyway, I asked if it had to be next week, as my bday is next week and I really don't want this gift. They laughed and said no. I tried to get in the week after, but the couldn't get me in when my husband was off. So I go back Feb 3rd for those extractions. Pray for me please. I'm hoping i'll stay brave. But I wanted to give you guys an update. I told them that I really want to get my teeth looking good. And they are willing to work with me at a great pace. Thank you guys on here for giving me courage.

Michelle

This is SOOO great to read! I am beyond words...so very, very happy for you.
Extractions can be OK...I've had three with just pre-appt Rx, nitrous and novocain. Very, very easy and no post-extraction pain or complications. soft food for a few days, a few Tylenol and that was that. OK, maybe a few other silly issues but nothing to stop me from going back to my dentist.
I'm just SO VERY happy for you...keep going forward.

well michelle yu just taken the biggest step to be able to step into the dental office and go through that is big bravo bravo congrats :cheers::jump::jump::cheers: i am in the same situation as yu i went in to an appointment for an infection by a toothache and i now need a root canal but any way you have all of my support :XXLhug: keep us all posted

Good job! That took a lot of courage, keep it up:grouphug:

Bravo for going! It sounds as if you have a nice dental practice!
I have had extractions with IV sedation and just Novacaine but I never have oral sedation or nitrous.
Don't you feel proud of yourself for going??? After I had my extractions done, I felt like a brand new DENTALLY healthy woman!!
Great job!!!!:respect:

WAY TO GO!!!!:jump::jump::jump::yay:
YOU DID IT MICHELLE!!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!
You are gong to feel sooooo much better with these sick teeth out of your mouth.
It sounds like you have an understanding dentist. That makes all the difference in the world.
And a supportive spouse is so great too!
So happy for you
Keep us posted, we're rooting for you!!

Back