• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

another phobe here

D

dentalphobe

As long as I can remember, I've always had a major phobia with dentists AND needles. This has caused me to stay away for years between visits and probably as a result, whenever I do manage to get in there, it doesn't turn out well. The last time I was there was at least 5+ years ago and that was for pulling 3 of my wisdom teeth in 2 visits. The first visit went smoothly under oral sedation but I was told later I did some weird things and so the next visit I think I was trying for myself to be just alert enough not to do crazy things but that may have caused that visit to be hell for me in that the oral sedation didn't take.

Anyways, 2 nights ago I cracked my top rear molar filling on a pizza which caused me to go to the undertaker.. i mean, dentist. They said instead of refilling it, it requires a root canal and crown. The last dentist did a very sloppy job. I've been seriously freaking out but worked up the courage to make an appointment for the work tomorrow. Sucks that I have to wait 2 weeks & then go back again for the crown.

Has 2mg of xanax sedation pills worked for you? If so, what was your procedure? I'm a big guy with a fast metabolism so I'm worried if it will not work in that dosage but I did hear of it working with even .5mg. I'm mainly freaked about the tools/fingers in my mouth, the faces nose to nose with mine, bright lights, sounds/smells of the equipment, dental dam (gagging) and of course the pain and needles.

Screw it. Should I just escape my life and head for a Thailand beach to hide from the dentist?

Hi there!
Welcome to the forum!
As you will see there are many stories here of many of us who have utilized many different forms and dosage levels of sedation with varying results. What will work for you? Its hard to say everyone's body chemistry is different.
There are some really good dental professionals who give of their time on this site and you may find it valuable to post a question on the dental question page. What I know of xanax is that it is a fast acting anti-anxiety medication. I was given 2mg for a closed MRI recently and it really did not benefit me. However, when I had oral surgery last summer, I was given an IV and a small amount of Versed and Fantanyl and I remember nothing of the procedure. No pain and no fear. It was fabulous!
As I read your post, I think its really insensitive and truly uncesssary that you were scolded for doing "crazy things" under oral sedation. Comapassionate dental prfessionals should not treat their patients that way.
If you are not comfortable with the dentist you are seeing, you always have the choice to seek a second opinion.There are dental professionals out there who understand the needs of those of us who fear the dentist.
Whatever you decide, I wish you a much better dental experience the next time.

Wow can I ever relate to you! I have PTSD and for some reason ANYTHING to do with my mouth triggers me BIG TIME. My biggest fear, of all things, is vomiting... so anything the even might cause gagging (and how common is that at the dentist?) drives me absolutely bonkers. As a result I have been having a hell of a time getting through each appointment to get some teeth. Mine have all broken/decayed over the years. So I need a whole new mouth! What takes most people one day (teeth-in-a-day) is taking me MONTHS! People have given birth faster than it's taking me to get some teeth!

You could go off to some tropical island and hide from the dentist, but your dental problems would follow you in "paradise" too so I don't advise that. Instead, take it slowly, be honest with your dentist about your fears, and get the work you need, done. You deserve a nice healthy smile.

You can do it! It may not be easy, but you can do it. Keep in mind, you don't have to be anxiety-free to do it, you can "feel the fear and do it anyway". You really can. :)

If I can do it, ANYbody can! I am by far the absolute worst, most difficult patient in the world! I am surprised my dentist hasn't banned me from his office yet. :ROFLMAO:

Back