• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment tomorrow - terrified again!

M

monkeekat

After going the last 20+ years without seeing a Dentist, I finally went to the dentist in November, terrified I would lose all my teeth. I was booked to have a scale and polish in December, and a filling for the first week in January.

Had the scale and polish, but they didn't manage to do the polish part, as I was so scared! The filling was cancelled, but now I have the appointment tomorrow.

I've never had a filling before, and I am terrified. How sore will it be, how long does it take, and will I need to have an injection? Will they use a drill? I'm terrified of the drill. What if they drill my tooth, and it falls apart? I have a terrible needle phobia. Will I be OK after the filling? Sorry to have so many questions, but I am so scared of this.

Also, I have been desperately trying to clean my teeth properly since I had them cleaned by the hygenist, but they are looking dirty again - why? I clean them 2 or 3 times a day, using a normal toothbrush and a battery operated one, and I use mouthwash twice a day. I haven't been eating many sweets or chocolate, and I don't take fizzy drinks. What am I doing wrong?

Feel so sick at the thought of this.

If someone would give me a penny for every filling I have....and I still get a little nervous about it.

A filling doesn't take that long. It depends on where it is and how big. I would expect (based on my own experiences) 15-25 mins. But thats a guess.

It won't be sore at all. You won't even notice it when its done.

Yes, they will use a drill. (sorry). It just feels like a gentle buzzing. The sound it makes is a thousand times worse than the feeling. Its no big deal.

I can't say it won't fall apart, I have never, ever had this. The dentist would not fill the tooth of they thought it could not be filled. Relax. That is fear talking.

You will get a Local to numb the area. At best, the dentist can put on some gel to numb the injection area first so you don't feel anything, or at worst, you MAY (not always) feel a little weeny scratch which is over in a split second. To be honest, that part is the worst part of the entire thing.

I understand you are nervous and worried. But if you don't, todays filling can become tomorrows cavity and then its toothache and extraction time. You are doing the right thing in getting this sorted out NOW. As I said, its no big deal and you will wonder why you are so worried afterwards.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I feel a bit calmer now. It's one of my top teeth - broke a piece of it with an ice cube!

You're right though, if I don't get it filled tomorrow, I could end up losing it. Can't wait for this to be over.!

Thank you again.

Hi there. Okay, I am petrified of the dentist. Or at least I used to be. I had my first dental appointment in four years today and it went great. My dentist was gentle and understanding of my fears. I've had my fair share of cavities filled and let me tell you - I would rather get a filling than go to the dentist for a cleaning.....WTF?! Lol. But let me tell you why.

Most dentists allow you to get nitrous oxide when you get a filling. This is a gas that helps you relax. You breathe it in and begin to feel a lot less anxious from the medicine. Then they give you an injection (but honestly, it's not that bad, especially with the gas). Just a slight pinch. Then they will drill out the cavity, sounds way more painful than it is. You don't feel a thing. My suggestion, bring some headphones with you and blast your favorite music. That way, you don't hear that stupid drill. Although, again, with the gas, you probably really won't care about the noise.

Your tooth will not fall apart and you will be perfectly fine after the filling. Actually, you'll probably be more than fine because you'll be done visiting the dentist for a while. :) Fillings don't hurt afterwards, extractions do. I know because I've got my wisdom teeth pulled.