• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment in 2 hours

O

oddduck

I have my first dental appointment in 3 years this afternoon. I didn't make it the appointment. My husband did, and he made my daughters (3.5) first dental appointment at the same time. :cry: He doesn't really "get" why I don't go when I have insurance. He doesn't understand my fear/anxiety. Some how my daughter seems to be a bit afraid to go as well.

I'm so worried I'm going to say or do something to negatively impact my daughters dental experiance and I myself am quite worried. My fear is not really of embaressment more of the fear of needing more of the treatments. I'm on the "I really don't want to know" team. I've really go to keep myself in check today. To top it off, it's a new dentist as well. :scared:

I had my first appointment in three and a half years this morning... I have had some serious problems with dentists in the past. I had a very painful root canal therapy when I was only eight years old. My doctor was impatient and incompetent and thus made me SCARED to death. Once I turned eighteen I told my mom I would never go back to the dentist, and I stuck to that promise for three and a half years. But last week, I made an appointment because I was convinced that there was something wrong with my tooth. I was convinced there was something wrong with my tooth that I actually felt pain and tingling in my mouth.

But, I went in today, expecting the worse. I cried in the shower this morning getting ready for the appointment. I cried when I sat in the chair. I shook the entire time they took X-rays, even though they didn't hurt. But guess what... NO CAVITIES. Not even one. It was all in my head.

That's the thing about fear. It's all in your head. And most of the time, the fear is worse than anything the dentist will do to you in that chair.

Here's my advice for a smooth, easy dentist appointment. When you walk in and meet the hygienist, tell them how scared you are. You need to let them know about your fears so they can make your experience comfortable. If there is something that you really hate, tell them. For example, I really hate that "explorer" thing they use. You know, the pointy thing that they stick on your teeth and if its a cavity it hurts and sticks. I HATE IT. I told the dentist that. And guess what, she didn't use it. I couldn't believe it. She switched to an air brush and water instead and just examined my Xray's and my teeth with a mirror.

If you get the right dentist who is caring and understanding of your fears, your appointment will go smoothly. If you tell the dentist about your fears and they act impatient, rude, or don't show sympathy, find a new dentist. You, after all, are their paying customer and you deserve to be treated with respect and empathy.

It also helps to remember that you can leave at any time. No one is forcing you to stay in that chair. Reminding yourself of that may help you feel better. You are in control really. If you want to get up and leave, do it.

Back