• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious about cleaning with injection

D

DR1

Hi,

I went to see a dentist in south London in november and I was adviced to do cleaning with the help of local anaesthetic injection because I have calculus deposit on my lower tooth on the left quadrant. The deposits are there only on one side around 5 or 6 teeth and the gum around them look slightly puffy. I have not had any bleeding yet.

I am an extremely anxious patient and I have terrible phobia for pain and injections. The dentist was not very understanding and she made sarcastic comments about my lack of courage. I did not go back the clinic again due to the scare of injection.

The phobia is so bad that I become grumpy days before the dental appointment, my appetite reduces and I cannot focus on work. The thought of lying on the dentist's chair makes my BP shoot up.
I am not sure whether a 'deep' cleaning is actually required or a normal thorough hygiene session would suffice...
Can anyone share thoughts on this. Also any suggestion about phobia sympathetic dentists in wimbledon/kingston area will be helpful.

Do dentists give IV sedation for deep cleaning?:(

Thanks.

Hi DR1
I do remember a poster in Devon who had i/v sedation for a deep cleaning but I'd say that's unusual unless it is done alongside other dental work in the same appointment.

Any dentist who makes fun of your fear (unless as humour to relax you - British sense of humour is slightly hard to read at times maybe) is one to avoid, so it sounds like you made the right call there.

If your fear is injections, then finding a dentist who can give them comfortably and without causing you undue stress is probably the best way forward, since if you know the injection will not hurt because of their excellent technique or gadget (TheWand), it ceases to be an issue (if pain of injection is your main issue at least) and/or a reason to undergo treatment without being numbed up.

Most people have routine cleanings with no local (you can do gel numbing of just the gums oraqix) but for deep cleaning it is very common to be numbed...if the gum is sore, it probably is in your best interest to get some numbing.

Best wishes in finding a more understanding, painfree dentist.:grouphug: Don't fall into the trap of thinking women are more sympathetic than men..as you found, they are not...it all depends entirely on the individual dentist regardless of their gender.

Back