• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well the extraction appointment is getting closser

R

readershel

I have good days and bad days. On the good days I'm like I can do it. On the bad days I want to cancel the appointment. I'm getting so scared and I still have 6 days left. Everyone keeps telling me that I wont feel a thing. I'll only feel the first shot of novocaine and that is it. Someone even said they might numb my gums first and I wont feel that. My stomach today is like so bad. I'm such a nervous wreck. What am I going to be like on Wed? Today I just want to sit and cry. I keep trying to reassure myself and today it isn't working. I know I have to get these infected teeth out, but oh how I want to cancel that appointment. I guess I should have picked a dentist that did sedation but I didn't. I mean I like this place and hopefully it'll go by quickly. I guess it's the fear of the unknown as I don't recall ever having teeth out. Just needed to vent today. :)

Michelle

It is a lot easier than you think. Firstly, it will be totally painless. You may feel the LA injection, which feels like a tiny scratch for an instant, but you may be asked if you would like some gel first, in which case, you won't even feel that.

A routine extraction is really, really quick. You will feel a bit of pressure and a bit of jiggling to work it loose, and then it will simply lift out. NO pain at all.

Sedation is always a good way of having teeth out (at least for me) and perhaps you can call your dentist and ask for some oral tablets to take before hand to relax you a little bit.

Last time I had an extraction unsedated, it took 5 mins for the injection to reach full effect and the tooth was out about 30 seconds later.

Please hang in there. It is for the greater good and you will regret it later.

I know how you feel, i'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow, and i can barely even get out of bed today. I was supposed to have them done today, but I was uncomfortable with just the oral sedation, so I found a dr. who could do it intravenously tomorrow. I am definitely less afraid now, I know that I will get to sleep through the whole thing. What I am worried about now is everything after, how much it will hurt, how long it will take to get better, will I even be able to get a spoon in my mouth, how much will I swell, etc...However, this seems like more reasonable of a fear.

A week from now I know things will be great. I can hardly wait. But in the meantime I am so scared!

After the extraction, its a good idea to pop a few painkillers before the LA wears off. I think I read to avoid aspirin as that can thin the blood. For the first day, you should rest and not excert yourself, sleep with your head elevated (use a towel on the pillow just in case you bleed). There will be a little blood afterwards, but its only a tiny amount, but mixed with saliva, it will look like loads.

It will ache for a while and be a bit sore, but the thing to do is not smoke, spit or use straws for at least 72 hours or risk a dry socket. Use gentle warm salt water rinses regularly and try to avoid eating anything which is 'crumbly' to avoid getting anything in the hole. Just go gentle for a few days and everything will settle down and soon after, you will not notice it is gone.

I hear ya... I just want it over and done with. I am sure that you will do fine. I just want an extraction date. I go for my first appointment on the 8th of feb. I was told that the OS is only in on Thursdays, but because my work schedule is so set I am hoping to have it all done the Thursday of the following week when I am off. If not I have to wait another month to have it off. Good luck and HUGS for a speedy extraction:XXLhug:

Back