• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very Very Anxious/Have to have 9 Extractions

J

justpsgthru

I'm having all my top teeth extracted next Wednesday and am driving myself crazy with worry. Theres 9 teeth in total and am not being put under. I suffer from anxiety (have my zanax) and HBP (Metoprolol Tart 25mg). My concerns are me dying in the chair!! I so wish my dentist would put me out like when I had the laser surgery done on my gums (didn't feel a thing) but he says that I need to be awake, and the thought of dentures going right in after all those extractions is really freaking me out...I'm now thinking of cancelling and going to an oral surgeon....making myself crazy!!!!! help

Cancel and go to an oral surgeon. I was really anxious, worried and by the time I got to the surgeon this morning pretty much hyperventilating, to the point I could see that the Dr. was apprehensive about continuing. He talked me into just inserting the IV for the IV sedation, and seeing how I felt. Did that, they gave me some meds, the assistant said she was going to lower the chair a bit, and then that was it. Nice and easy. If you're that nervous, being awake is not going to be a feasible option for you are far as I tell.

Thank you for your reply bluemoon, after reading other posts on the forum last night, I totally agree and am now researching oral surgeons who will do IV sedation, I've had teeth pulled in the past with Novacaine but only 1 or 2 not 9 in one sitting (I realize the initial pullings won't hurt) but the thought of having to hear all that crunching going on is not a good mental picture for me.

Flipside view....

I had six teeth pulled but no more than two at a time.

Personally, I think having teeth pulled is much easier than having a cavity filled and certainly much easier than having a root canal. I would never have it done under sedation.

But...from all that I read, having that many pulled would be much easier under sedation simply because you are out. However, if your dentist said that you need to be awake, then I would definitely let the oral surgeon know that when you talk to him/her.

Hey justgspthru!

I went throught the exact same thing almost a year ago (Feb 18th 2010) I had 11 teeth extracted (9 on top, 2 on bottom) and had an immediate upper denture placed by the oral surgeon. I was terrified of the sedation, and asked the oral surgeon if he could do it while I was awake. He said absolutely not, it would be safer for me and him if I were out. I had the IV sedation, so I wouldn't be "totally" out, if they needed me to move, they could tell me to do something and I"d respond, but I would have no memory of the procedure.
It worked like a charm.

I am so glad I had it done this way - just a tiny bit of swelling (he said there wouldn't be a lot of swelling, so he was true to his word). I think that the fact I was "out", made it easier because I wasn't struggling (though I never have had a problem with extractions, there is always a bit of tension when you're having a tooth pulled).

I have a journal on here called Dental Destiny or Mystery of My Mouth. You might take a peek at it, but I personally would suggest that if you THINK you will be more comfortable being sedated, you will BE more comfortable being sedated. I think you should follow your instincts on this one!

Best wishes, and let us know what you decide!!

Yvonne

There is no need for you to be mentally tortured like this. My advice, cancel and go to an oral surgeon who will put you under. There's no reason why you have to be awake for extractions. And there's no reason why you have to have an immediate denture if you don't want it. You can opt to wait until your gums heal and then have the denture fitted etc. Remember, YOU are the customer here buying a service. It's up to YOU what you want, not the dentist. The dentist is the professional of course, but if he can't give you a medical reason why you need to be awake AND have an immediate denture, then there's no reason why you should if it's making what is an already difficult situation for you even worse.

All dentists ARE NOT created equal. Shop around and find one that understands and takes seriously your issues.

Thank you for all your replies, I had a consult with an oral surgeon and am scheduled for the surgery Feb 8th, I will be put to sleep and hopefully will feel nothing, I had myself so worked up that I had to go to my regular md because my bp was up 155/90 and that scared me also, I can't win here. Luckily my md knows what a anxious person I am and put some of my fears to rest but now I'm worried because the OS gave me a 10mg valium that I have to take a half hour before my appt. never took valium, my anxiety medicine is alprazolam 0.5mg big difference here, so now I'm worried about the effect the valium will have on me...the anxiety never stops....it's always what if? :hidesbehindsofa:

Hi wow I really feel for you !! I too have to have all my back teeth out!! And because I am crapping myself, I too cant bear the thought of IV sedation, so I have to now go into see an oral surgeon as well. Good Luck for your op. keep us posted. I know that I will be so scared but hope that the nuffield will understand my fears they are silly I know !! And at the age of 54 I need to grow up but its all to do with a bad childhood etc. regards amandah

I'm kind of having the same problem. On the 24th I'm getting 29 teeth extracted at one time then getting immediate dentures. My dental insurance is crap I can't afford to be put under by an oral surgen. My dentist is going to give me valium (not sure what dosage yet) but I've never taken it and I'm not sure that it will be enough to make me climb in that chair.

I know for the most part that initial procedure will be mostly painless, but I'm still terrified. I've decided I'm going to take my mp3 player with me, and keep that baby cranked up and keep my eyes closed. The less i know about what they're doing the better. I hope all goes well with your surgery. Keep us posted.

omg and here i am scared stiff about going back to my dentist to arrange another IV sedation to get 2 teeth removed !! after reading the previous posts i feel more of a chicken than ever - but hey we're all fearful of the same thing so i know we all understand eachother., not that i am much help to you all but i really do wish you all well, and i would highly recommend IV sedation to the person who needs 9 teeth out !! i have been sedated twice with IV and both times remember NOTHING of the procedure and everything went very well. fingers crossed you all get the treatment you need, with the least stress and anxiety possible !! hugs to you all xx michelle

:XXLhug::grouphug::XXLhug:

Back