• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Drill Vibrations Shiver

F

florana

Hi,

Does anyone feel the dentist drill as in when it is in contact with and drilling on the tooth the vibrations send sensations through your body? When they use the drill each time it comes in contact with the tooth I will get this nasty shiver that runs from the general area in my head down through my body. It happened over 5 times last time as the drill stopped and started and each time I would get this sensation.

I tried to look online but all the results would say "the sound of the drill is enough to send shivers down peoples spines". But I don't care about the sound that much and the little drill wasn't as bad. But the bigger drill the vibrations go right through me! I can handle the injection, it's painful but only lasts a little while. But the drill goes on for much longer (or feels like it).

I'm thinking my body is just too sensitive but I don't know if more anheastetic would even stop vibrations affecting me like that. I had 1 injection I think and maybe some gel.

My newer dentist is a little friendlier (as in they don't try and pull out or drill a tooth just for stepping in the door, answers questions etc.). So I have been braver about the dentist than in the past and may ask them next time. But yeah just wondered if anyone has any ideas or similar experience, this drill thing has always bugged me...

Last edited:
Is the sensation you are describing involving any pain in your tooth whilst the dentist is drilling?

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I don't think there is literal pain on the tooth which is why I think more anheastetic is probably not the answer. But I can feel the drill coming into contact with the tooth and it's probably the vibrations from that which I feel coursing through my body. And tension in my head from the sensation. I guess I'm just sensitive.

But I don't care about the sound that much and the little drill wasn't as bad. But the bigger drill the vibrations go right through me!

I find this too - the lower-speed handpiece causes far worse vibrations that the high-speed one which really is just a noise. To give him credit, my previous dentist made sure to warn me whenever the vibrations were imminent !

Perhaps one of our resident dentists could explain the technical reasons for the use of different speeds ?

John

I think a more generous dose of LA would also help deaden everything - some dentists are just plain mean and penny-pinching when it comes to anaesthetic. You can anaesthetise a tooth at a 'just enough' level or you can do it so the patient can really relax knowing they won't feel anything very much, vibrations or otherwise.
I know which I prefer.

Last edited:
Back