• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need help.

M

madlin

I had an extraction in August, right before I had heart surgery. Psychologically, it was terrifying, although I felt no pain and had no swelling. It's just I get very nervous about dental anesthesia. My heart pounds, I get dizzy, etc...

I thought that my dental issues were over, but I just found out that I need another extraction. I am very young (34) to have lost two teeth. And, I lost them because of terrible dental decisions my mom made when I was kid, even though I adore my mom and she was doing what she thought was best.

I am terrified. So terrified I have been thinking it might just be easier if I killed myself. End the anxiety now. Never have to face the dentist again.

But, I know I have to do this. The oral surgeon wants to do IV sedation. But, I am terrified of that. What if something goes wrong with my heart? What if she crosses the fine line between IV sedation and general anesthesia, and I stop breathing? What if? What if? What if?

Part of me would rather take a Xanax before the procedure to take the edge off. But, what if that does not work? What if my heart starts pounding and I start shaking, despite the Xanax?

I don't know what to do. I need some help.

Well think of it like this. You got through everything else that you were afraid of. You got through heart surgery which is alot more serious then dental. If you can get through all that, then you can get through anything else thats gunna be put infront of you. Dont stress and think about the what ifs. Be proud of everything youve gotten through!! ;D

If you heart starts pounding and you start shaking; a xanax pill will stop that. Trust me , Ive been there in other situations. Your going to be fine. You did it once , your gunna do it again. I really think that once your in there, your gunna be a little more calm then you think because its something youve already done once.

I did not see the dentist for ten years after a surgeon and anestiaoligist scared me into a terrible panic attack with jokes about my safety and well being. Long story that requires me to use the f word.... I survived. I went in for serious gum surgery and two molars to be removed last week. I felt the same way you do!!!!!!! I took 1 and a half Halcion pills before my appointment. Was given the second half of a pill at the dentist office. When the dentist assistant ask me to come back, I jumped up and just strolled right into the room and sat down in the chair.I only remember a little painfulness of the injections and nothing else, really. Have freaked out a little about what I might have said or how I acted durring surgery but no priblems.

Based on what you've said are your main concerns, I'd go with Xanax and just local anaesthetic...no risk to your heart then...and you can just concentrate on allowing the drug to relax you through; and if you can cope with heart surgery...what's a basic tooth extraction in comparison? I'm assuming it's a straightforward extraction of an erupted tooth not an impacted wisdom.

If an impacted wisdom then i/v sedation would make it easier for you probably.

The dentist is doing what's easiest for her...i/v sedate and not taking on board your concerns about sedation/GA and your heart situation from my reading of it.

Your tooth, your call.....and if you've got any doubts about the need for the extraction, get a second opinion first.:grouphug:

I'm hoping the heart surgery was a success and you're well healed! The idea that your heart is "mended" should mean you're in better shape now than before the surgery - I'd trust your dentist on this one -perhaps she doesn't want to cause you undo stress during the procedure if you found it psychologically terrifying last time. .

Call and ask questions about the risk either way and then you can make an educated decision. stuff like-
Xanax was designed to stop panic attacks and I can cope with being awake
IV sedation - I don't have to cope with the extraction sensations or worry about an anxiety attack......

let us know how you do...
rp

I did it! I had my tooth extracted a few hours ago.

I took 5 mg of valium. Before taking the valium, I was shaking like a leaf. I had trouble even opening the pill container. I took only half the amount (5mg instead of 10mg) prescribed by the doctor, but it worked just fine. (I don't drink/do drugs and weigh 100 pounds, so I was a bit concerned about 10 mg.) I thought I was going to faint in the car on the way to the oral surgeon.

By the time I got there, the valium was starting to kick in. By the time I was given my anesthesia shot, I was extremely calm. This is the part that usually terrifies me, but it was a walk in the park. The extraction went without a hitch.

I can't believe I had not done this earlier. Years of problems and neglect would have been avoided if only I had not been terrified of the dentist.

Great news - well done :party::jump::party:
Thanks for updating us.

Do you think that the "feeling like you were going to faint in the car.." was merely your anxiety acting up since the valium had not kicked in yet? That's what it sounds like to me, although I really really do not like that feeling! :)

Mike

Back