• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Safe to take 2 5mg Valium at once?

C

clermont

Finally I have a appointment at another dentist to get tooth #20 (which has decayed below the gumline) extracted.

Feb 9th @ 2:30

I explained to the dentist I am VERY nervous. She was nice enough to write me a prescription of 2 5mg Valium for my procedure. One to be taken the night before and one one hour before my appointment. This dentist do not offer any sedation other than Novocaine via the Wand.

I was thinking to myself. "Self."

There is no way this will be enough sedation. I had one tooth extracted before from a abscessed gum and it wasnt fun.

Can I just take both of these 5mg Valium 45mins to a hour before my appointment to get the maximum effect?

Why take one before bed? This seem odd.

BTW Im 5' 5'' 130lbs.

Not looking to OD,

Clermont

it takes over 600 5mg Valium for a 35 yr old 150 lb adult male to take a fatal dose of valium. If you have no familiarity with this drug, consult your dentist or your doctor. If you're on other meds, consult your dentist or doctor. If you have health concerns, consult your doctor.

What they're trying to do is stack, and give you a reasonable night's sleep before hand. not getting enough sleep, especially due to stressing out about the coming procedure will make you even more difficult to numb.

Remember, if you don't feel right about the whole thing, stop and walk out. Find a dentist who does offer what you want/need. The dentist should be working with you for your comfort.

Further, it should be noted that taking meds counter to how they're prescribed is generally a no-no. If you do decide to "double down", let the dentist know so that you're not placed in any danger with further medications.

Thank you for your response. Im going to do that "double down". Getting to sleep isn't the problem it's getting in chair. I'll bite the bullet with Novacaine and the two Valiums. I hope my experience will be a success like the stories I was reading in the archives.

2 5mg of valium is equal to 1mg of xanax , so yes you will be fine.

Depending on how long you have to wait in the waiting room, id say take 5mg a half hour before u walk in , then another 5mg when u get there. Should put u in a real mellow state when ur in the chair

Sounds even better Italian I like your suggestion. Yeah "real mellow" is where Im trying to be.

I find it a bit disturbing that you're willing to take advice from totally random strangers on the internet, you have no idea of their qualifications to offer that advice and they have absolutely no idea about your medical history, your build or anything else on which to base that advice.

Perhaps it might be more sensible for you to ask either the dentist who prescribed the drugs or the one doing the treatment what they think?

FWIW, oral valium has quite a slow onset of sedation, especially if you're nervous, so it's fairly pointless to follow the advice to take a tablet just as you go to the dentist.

From my experience, so for me only, 10 mg of Valium takes about 15 min to kick in, lasts about 10 min, and then goes away. 5 at bedtime and 5 before the appt would leave me with nothing. I think the dose is too low, and would definitely recommend that the poster contact his/her doctor (an MD, not the DDS) for help.

Back