• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth at 44

M

mdc

Hello all,
Well, after having not seen a dentist for twenty years, I've conquered my
fear and completed the perioscaling and restoration work that I've needed.
Now comes the scariest part for me, I need to have all for wisdom teeth removed.

I am a bit scared of the procedure, but more of the aftermath and
risks involved with my age. The upper teeth are fully erupted and the lower
are partially erupted and partially stuck in the gums. I've had them for almost
twenty years and now the lowers are starting to bother and get mild infections.

Tomorrow I go to the oral surgeon for a consultation. Presumably we will pick
a date for surgery (soon, I hope). Any wisdom or words of comfort from you "older" folks out there who have had wisdom teeth removed? Honestly,
I'm scared to death of this (having major anxiety, etc.).

I had 2 upper wisdom teeth out at age 45 (I'm 47 now).
I had it done under IV sedation and I had absolutely no complications.
My wisdom teeth were partially erupted also.
Good luck with your consultation.

Thanks, ChickenJen. That's good to hear.

well, I am not 40 but I am over 30 and I just had an impacted one out. You will be fine - just remember to REST afterwards - don't do anything for a couple days and take it easy. They will probably give you anesthesia and it will be over in a flash. I think i tried to do too much afterwards and it ended up making me feel worse. :)

Thanks jacaranda. I'm having the surgery on Monday and plan on taking the week off from work. I think that my anxiety will be much less when I have feeling back in my mouth (numbness gone) after surgery and when the pain finally subsides (that may be many days or even weeks, I know).
For now I'm (very) nervously hoping for the best. Wish I had the pluck of
so many others who just do whatever they need medically without ever thinking twice!

Hi mdc

A mere baby ...... I was 47!!

Although I had others out at the same time I had no problems at all with my wisdom teeth ...... I had 2 'normal' and 2 impacted. I didn't think to ask the surgeon if he gave my any local anaesthetic but I didn't have a numb mouth/face when I woke up - didn't have any pain either!

My infections were getting worse and worse and starting to affect my jaw ... you will be fine :)

I had three wisdom teeth pulled at 45. They were completely out. I had no sedation...just local numbing.

It was very easy, and I cannot tell you how many nights I lost sleep over the procedure.

BTW, I am a male.

Thanks for the responses from all of you "old timers". My extractions were this morning. First of all, I would like to pronounce IV sedation the greatest
medical technology ever developed. I did not believe that it would be as comortable and as painless as it was. I have no recollection of anything except the vague sense of noise and voices far in the background and it certainly felt like a pleasant nap to me.

Now I've been home for a few hours and advil + hydrocodone are controlling the pain which is only moderate at worst so far. Best of all, I am feeling no residual numbness!

Last night I was so anxious that i didn't sleep. Seems ridiculous now.

The agonizing toothache pain I suffered during the 23 years I didn't go to the dentist was FAR worse than any dental procedure I've had done in the last 2+ years!!
BTW, great job!! :cheers:
Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly!

Back