• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Book that literally changed my life

jjh6ytrh

jjh6ytrh

I know...so many people say that and it sounds so passe, but in this instance it really did. It changed my life only because fear, anxiety, and panic disorder ruled my world for years. I spent loads of time on meds, with counselors, etc. - the typical things most people do. However, when none of that was really working, I changed my mode a little bit. I started studying, in depth, anxiety disorders and panic disorder. This really helped me feel much more in control, understanding the cycle of fear (i.e. I had a panic attack and it was awful...I then spend all my waking hours in a state of anxiety fearing another panic attack until I get so worked up that i have another one, then worrying again - if you can break this cycle you will make a huge leap forward).

I still was not quite there until about 4 years ago when someone recommended the book called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes. I know it is a cheesy name and I think she wrote it in the 70's, but this-lady-gets-it. The way she presented it was so much different than any other school of thought and it shows. I read the whole thing in 2 days - it is actually a little book, but for me that is still good.

There are sections on depression, but mostly anxiety.

If I could offer one thing to any of you here it would be to find this book someway, somehow and give it a shot - you have nothing to lose.

It was not as if I was instantly "cured" after closing the cover, but the tools and trains of thought she suggests were really the lynchpin that I needed to ramp up my recovery! Good luck and Godspeed to you all.

On a side note (and not to take away from this site at all), you can see much of my story over at the MedHelp forums (which also helped me tremendously during my last recovery phase).

There is hope for those of us who have more than just dental phobia!

Mike

Hi Shelzmike.
Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm a social worker and I work for an agency that serves people with mental illness. Anxiety, depression, panis disorder, etc are huge issues among the clients we see everday among other things. One of the big parts of my job is teaching educational groups on a variety of mental health topics and I am always looking for good material.

If I may suggest a couple of other books you may also find helpful. They have unusual titles but offer some great insight and practical ideas.

"How to Deal with People You Can't Stand"

"Work Would be Great of it Wasn't for the People"

That is an excellent book on which all the current day cognitive-behaviour therapies for anxiety and phobias are based on. Unfortunately the book has been out of print for decades.

What a shame. I would love a copy

Dear drummerswife,

I have some excellent news for you! There is a book website called [out-of-date link removed]

They currently have "Hope and Help for your Nerves" in stock. The website does FREE Worldwide Delivery, I've used them before and they are excellent (I'm not associated with them in anyway).

The book is £4.26 or about $6.90.

Hope it helps :)

It's also available on amazon very cheap (I think some editions have appeared under another new title: "Self Help for your nerves" - it's probably the same book though).

Dave Carbonell's "Panic Attacks Workbook" is also very good - very readable and a bit more contemporary.

Thanks for the info. I knew it was out of print, but did not know that it was hard to get. I don't remember how I originally got it, but I am pretty sure I got it from eBay or something like that.

It really is good, and I think the reason is because this doctor really thinks like I do. It was very encouraging, not curing, but offered lots of healing.

Mike

I'm pretty sure that "Self Help for your nerves" (which IS available on amazon) is the same book as the out-of-print "Hope and Help for your nerves" (just a different title). Not 100% sure, but pretty sure.

Yes, according to wikipedia, it's the same book (it was called called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" for the U.S. edition, but "Self Help for your Nerves" was the original title and it's still in print).

You are correct (I looked it up too) and in addition, Amazon has the original as well here.

Mike

Back