Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting all of my teeth removed TERRIFIED

Default Getting all of my teeth removed TERRIFIED

In 2 weeks I'm having all of my teeth removed. I'm only 25, and have been severely neglecting them. The dentist said he could save about 2/3rds of my teeth but it would be way more expensive than I can afford so I decided I wanted them all removed. I won't be put to sleep because I can't afford the cost. I know I'm going to freak out because just thinking about it I get shaky and nausiated, and it's still 2 weeks away. He said he would give me Valium to take the day before and day of, but I've never taken it, and am worried that it won't be enough to calm me. Any tips/suggestions?

Default Re: Getting all of my teeth removed TERRIFIED

Quote Originally Posted by littlecrittle View Post
      In 2 weeks I'm having all of my teeth removed. I'm only 25, and have been severely neglecting them. The dentist said he could save about 2/3rds of my teeth but it would be way more expensive than I can afford so I decided I wanted them all removed. I won't be put to sleep because I can't afford the cost. I know I'm going to freak out because just thinking about it I get shaky and nausiated, and it's still 2 weeks away. He said he would give me Valium to take the day before and day of, but I've never taken it, and am worried that it won't be enough to calm me. Any tips/suggestions?

First off I'm sorry you are having to go through this, I just had one molar yanked and don't read my post about it either, it's not a normal case. As long as you are numb it's no real biggy. When my dentist finally got me numb the extraction lasted two seconds. It was surprisingly easy. It's the numbing that was bad for me.

If I were you I would ask for a Xanax instead of Valium. For me, Valium did nothing. Xanax is much stronger IMO and works great. You will need someone to drive you home remember .

Good luck you will be relieved as I was to rid yourself of the pain from bad teeth. Once they are gone, they can't hurt anymore ,

LukeM also offers sympathy in this time of need. That sucks.

To be honest with you littlecrittle, depending on the state of your teeth (which you didn't specify) if any are loose... then they will be a breeze to pop out. I've experienced extractions under both GA and LA so I know how both feel - having loose ones whipped out, and ones that are stuck firmly in place too (again in both LA and GA).

If any are loose you'll hardly feel a thing. Promise. You can of course ask the dentist to stop at any time!

I'd say the worst thing you would feel is probably a bit of pulling and it might feel a bit tight around the tooth but once it's out you won't notice!

Your dentist is there to help. The drugs will help... and you'll wonder why you worried so much respect to you for having them all out in one go you're brave enough for even considering it I think!

can you not have IV sedation ?? i would highly recommend this for tooth extraction, had it twice myself, last time was almost a yr ago to extract 2 rotten and abcessed teeth, the whole procedure was a success and over with before i knew anything about it once the IV goes in .... good luck and i send you lots of healing and positive energy xx
      Michelle

This breaks my heart- personally at age 25 and 2/3 savable teeth, I think what he is doing is close to unethical..... can he give you a treatment plan that addresses the urgent issues first. If you are in the UK what happened to the NHS, if you are in the US, please try a dental school, or free clinic and get a second opinion. .

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
      This breaks my heart- personally at age 25 and 2/3 savable teeth, I think what he is doing is close to unethical..... can he give you a treatment plan that addresses the urgent issues first. If you are in the UK what happened to the NHS, if you are in the US, please try a dental school, or free clinic and get a second opinion. .

I'm in the US and to my surprise Dallas dental school at Baylor is not free! I swear 20 years ago it was. I was told at my advanced age of 50, they want to yank all of my teeth and do full dentures to the tune of 1.400.00. And if you don't follow the treatment plan, it's a no go. You must pay all up front and do exactly what they say, so for me it's a hopeless situation.

I asked what to the homeless do and they said, beats us? They yank and eat mashed potatoes. I was appalled to find out there is basically no helpl for us poor folk, not even at the college.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecrittle View Post
      Agree with RP, you should not be removing savable teeth at age 25. It is unethical to do this, you can't put them back and you could well come to regret this.
      If you are in UK, NHS covers restorative care in theory everything you need for 198 quid max. I guess therefore you are in USA.
      It is worth borrowing to save your teeth at age 25, there are lots of self-esteem issues caught up in the matter after all. Have you found your life partner yet for instance?
      Seriously do not do this if there is anyway you can get some fixed. You can do it gradually. I suspect you are not in the best hands having been given such blase advice...'yes 2/3 savable but would cost more...duh' ...are we talking root canals and crowns or simple fillings here. If you don't know the answer to this, you haven't given proper informed consent. Please please get a second opinion.

Also just so you know, I'm told top dentures are much easier to get used to than bottom ones...so it maybe worth making a priority of saving as many bottom teeth as possible.
      Last edited by brit; 13th February 2011 at 04:45.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

In the US an implant is 3.600 bucks, a root canal 1.500 and up for a molar, less for smaller front teeth, my dentist charged 340 to pull one tooth. The dental college wants 500 a crown but they have to agree and set that plan . It's very expensive and when I had insurance I only had 1.500 per year.

Before you get all your saveable teeth out, call around every dentist in the yellow pages and ask if they do any pro bono work. Send an email explaining your situation. I'm sure if you knock on enough doors, so to speak, you'll find at least one compassionate dentist who will either do the work free (tax write off) or give you a price you can afford.

Do not get teeth that can be saved pulled at age 25.

Thank you all for your concern. My teeth are weak to begin with, add in that I didn't take care of them like I should have...they are in pretty bad shape, plus they are extremely crooked, and I was ashamed to smile even when they were in good shape. Really I want to have them all removed so I don't have to worry about them anymore, it will be much more cost efficient in the long run. My dentist told me that he didn't think it was my best option so he's not at fault in any way. I live in the US, and healthcare plan is terrible. My dentist is for low income people, and compared to what my brother in law had to pay for his procedure I'm paying next to nothing, this includes regular relining of my immediate dentures, and permanent ones after 6 months.

I did try the nearest dental college, and there is a huge waiting line, and it will still cost me more than I can afford.

I've had 4 teeth removed in the last 2 years, and every time I kind of freak out. Even though each time has been nearly painless when I feel the pressure, and hear the cracking of the teeth, and such my mind kind of projects this into pain, and panic. I don't know why I do this, I haven't had any bad experiences. I alway managed to get through it, but that was one tooth at a time. I don't know if I can handle all of them at one time, being able to see, and hear what is going on, which is why I'm hoping this Valium he giving me will put me into a state of mind where I just don't give a d**n.