• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting all of my teeth removed TERRIFIED

ultimately, we all post on here to offer support and much needed understanding from like minded phobics, both people still gripped by anxiety, and of course those who arer able to slowly overcome their fears and terror. we ALL have something to offer by way of help and advice to others, if when reading certain posts, we individually dont like it or agree with it, thats fine :) just ignore it and write what you think, there really is no need to argue amongst ourselves, as long as we have a good intention and genuinely want to offer support and help to someone in need, then its all good.
mike dont stop posting - your posts are often very informative i find, so i for one am pleased you are a member of this forum and can help others. as for PMs, just delete anything negative if it upsets you and hold your head up, you are who you are, and we are all different and have different things to offer to others. we choose for ourselves what we want to do in life, not just with regards to a dental fear and having teeth removed. so if others ar enot happy to allow you the freedom to write what you felt was good and supportive advice, then they have the choice to ignore your posts and carry on with their day :):XXLhug:

Hi Good Luck ! I too am having all my back teeth taken out in march. By GA and dreading this, anxiety does not help at all with me. Anyway healing thoughts are sent to you. Regards amandah

You guys have not scared me off, but I have decided to go through with this. I respect everyone's opinion, and understand that you are reacting in my best interest, but I feel like a will not regret this in the end. Yes I may have times when I'll thnk "what have I done?" but I feel like I will not regret this in the end. I will keep everyone updated on how I am doing. If in two months I regret this you all can tell me "I told you so"

I found another site for people specifically getting dentures, that have gone through what I am, and they have most reassuring. Between the two sites I feel like I can do this.

My extraction day is on the 24th (thursday). I will keep you all posted.

You guys have not scared me off, but I have decided to go through with this. I respect everyone's opinion, and understand that you are reacting in my best interest, but I feel like a will not regret this in the end. Yes I may have times when I'll thnk "what have I done?" but I feel like I will not regret this in the end. I will keep everyone updated on how I am doing. If in two months I regret this you all can tell me "I told you so"

I found another site for people specifically getting dentures, that have gone through what I am, and they have most reassuring. Between the two sites I feel like I can do this.

Good for you girl! I'm proud for you that you're taking this big step. I can't say the same for me. That one tooth scared me enough that I prolly won't be back till another one hurts for a month lol.

I had a friend of mine tell me once you have the tooth pulled it can't hurt anymore. I have to say the hole it left feels ten times bigger than the tooth felt. Oh well.

Let's us all know how it goes. I told the college I wanted white white dentures and they said oh no we want something natural. I said baloney! I want white like the movie stars have now, and that's considered natural! Lol

Well, here's some good news for you. I just had 5 teeth extracted and it really was a breeze. Over before I knew it. Hopefully, yours will go a lot easier than you're imagining too. I definitely didn't mean to discourage you. You're an adult and if this is your decision then go for it. I (and others), just wanted to make sure that you were taking everything into consideration. Good luck!

Today is the day. In about 6 hours I will be toothless. I'm not freaking out like I thought I would be (maybe it's the valium), but I'm also not in the chair yet so we'll see how it goes.

I'm getting 28 teeth extracted 2-3 will need to be cut out, then they will trim down the bone under my gums to make sure dentures will fit comfortably. All of this while being awake.

Wish me luck.

Today is the day. In about 6 hours I will be toothless. I'm not freaking out like I thought I would be (maybe it's the valium), but I'm also not in the chair yet so we'll see how it goes.

I'm getting 28 teeth extracted 2-3 will need to be cut out, then they will trim down the bone under my gums to make sure dentures will fit comfortably. All of this while being awake.

Wish me luck.

Best of luck! I just had 5 extractions (also awake) done Monday and seriously didn't feel a thing during or since the procedure. Granted, that's not 28, but thought you'd like to know how smooth it can go. Again, good luck and if you think of it, please update on how everything went and how you're getting along with the dentures.

I will keep you guys posted, but it may be tomorrow before i get around to it.. Thanks for everyones support, and advice.

Just wanted to say I hope you're doing ok today, you've been so brave so far, please keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on, all the best to you.

Hi - I just discovered this resource tonight and this is my first post.

I'm truly a dentalphobic and just discovered www.dentalfearcentral.org tonight. This is my first, and I'm sure not my last, post here.

:hidesbehindsofa: Soon I must face my own sadness, anxiety, and fear. How can I tell you how very thankful I am for you - thanks to each of you for being here.

I'm twice your age, littlecrittle, and am grateful that you shared your fear. Imagine my eagerness to hear further from you. Please update us at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you

So the procedure was a breeze. All 28 teeth were out in just over an hour, and it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would.

As far as afterward the pain meds he gave me didn't work very well so once the local wore off I had to take my dentures out even though i was told not to. I ended up having to double the dose and alternate with ibuprofen but the pain is much better now. Next week when the swelling goes down, and gums can handle it I'll be getting a reline so I can wear my dentures again.

So far I haven't been able to eat anything. I've been drinking protein shakes, but I can't wait for real food. Maybe tomorrow. I don't think today.

Hi Littlecrittle
Pleased to hear it went well. Does that mean you found the valium worked really well for you which could be good for others to know? Best wishes for a speedy recovery.:grouphug:

I just want to say, thank you for attempting to actually help her based on the actual fears she reached out about.

I'm just glad that I could help her some. I do understand what other people are saying, but when I think back to the time before my extractions, I remember how much support I needed because I was so terrified. I was told that some of my teeth could be saved by doing root canals and then crowns, but I simply couldn't afford it, and couldn't deal with my tooth pain in between procedures, so I opted for extractions. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out now, and have to say that it was the best decision that I have made in my life (next to getting married and having children).

Last edited:
So the procedure was a breeze. All 28 teeth were out in just over an hour, and it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would.

As far as afterward the pain meds he gave me didn't work very well so once the local wore off I had to take my dentures out even though i was told not to. I ended up having to double the dose and alternate with ibuprofen but the pain is much better now. Next week when the swelling goes down, and gums can handle it I'll be getting a reline so I can wear my dentures again.

So far I haven't been able to eat anything. I've been drinking protein shakes, but I can't wait for real food. Maybe tomorrow. I don't think today.

I'm glad it went so well for you. The pain afterwards can be horrible, but medication from the dentist, Ibuprofen (mine was Vicoprofen, so it included Ibuprofen), ice, and rest will help. Also, remember to elevate your head while you sleep... It will assist in healing, and will help with swelling.

I drank water, tea, and Slim Fast for the first few days after my extractions. I just went in for my soft reline this past Friday, and am now able to chew soft foods (I even managed some cereal last night, although it took a while to eat, and I had to be careful how I chewed because it hurt a bit when I chewed in the wrong places). The healing process takes time, and sometimes feels like it will never get better, but I can promise you that it will. I can comfortably wear my dentures now (even with the bone fragment in one of my sockets - the dentist told me how to take care of it, and it hurts if I don't treat it properly). Best of luck to you, and well wishes for a speedy healing. :XXLhug:

I drank water, tea, and Slim Fast for the first few days after my extractions. I just went in for my soft reline this past Friday, and am now able to chew soft foods (I even managed some cereal last night, although it took a while to eat, and I had to be careful how I chewed because it hurt a bit when I chewed in the wrong places). The healing process takes time, and sometimes feels like it will never get better, but I can promise you that it will. I can comfortably wear my dentures now (even with the bone fragment in one of my sockets - the dentist told me how to take care of it, and it hurts if I don't treat it properly). Best of luck to you, and well wishes for a speedy healing. :XXLhug:

Can I ask if you have dentures? I guess I'm being a big baby. My extractions went incredibly smooth. No pain during or afterward. But I'm having a big problem with my denture(s). My upper is a partial, but the lower is all but 3 teeth. This is what has been painful. The lower digs into my gum when I bite down. The pain also seems to shift. It first hurt on the left side of my mouth. Then that stopped hurting and it hurt on the right side. It has always hurt in the middle.

It IS getting better and I haven't even had a relining yet. My dentist saw me and said I'm healing remarkably fast so he wants me to come in for it early. But I have to say, I'm feeling very sorry for myself. I feel like I'll never enjoy a good meal again. Sure, I'm learning how to chew now, but it's just not the same... No longer can I just walk past a bowl of fruit and say, "Oh, an apple!" and eat it. The other day, I was driving and was hungry. I couldn't even stop at my favorite sandwich shop. No longer can I just eat things on a whim or because I'm hungry. Not to mention some of my favorite things that I'll probably never be able to eat and enjoy.

Currently, I'm eating mice type food. When I'm in restaurants, I'm sneaking off to the bathroom to take my dentures out and clean them. I guess this is life from now on. At least I don't have to be self conscious about my smile anymore, so that's the one good thing.

Yeah, I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'd love to hear back from littlecrittle to hear how she's getting along with eating. It's an entire lifestyle change. She's actually giving me encouragement. Here's a young kid who's facing this so courageously. And here I am a self-pitying coward not looking forward to a lot of life any more.

Hi Littlecrittle
Pleased to hear it went well. Does that mean you found the valium worked really well for you which could be good for others to know? Best wishes for a speedy recovery.:grouphug:

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. The valium did help a good bit. I remember walking into the office, and sitting in the chair with a smile on my face, but once they started pulling out instruments, and tools I did start to panic a little. I ended up using an mp3 player, and keepping my eyes shut to block out the sounds and sights, and after that it wasn't that bad.

This is day 5 I think post op, and the pain isn't bad at all. More like discomfort really, and ibuprofen takes care of it just fine. I do have a nasty bruise along my left jaw line. It started out black, and blue, but is now a yellowish green color. I was extremely swollen on day 2, like my son was afraid of me it was so bad, but now it's not noticeable on the outside. I can still tell my mouth is swollen on the inside though.

I'm going in for my Post op check up in a little bit, and hopefully they will reline my dentures so they will fit again. My gums are still a little tender so I'm kind of worried about the reline being painful.

I only wore my dentures a few hours on the very first day, but I can say I hated them. They give me a HUGE "monkey" lip, and they were so big I couldn't close my lips together over them. I'm really hoping this can be fixed today.

I am prepared for my bottom denture not ever fitting well, so if need be I will consider getting a couple implants on the bottom to help hold them in place, but this will be later in the future since they are so expensive. Maybe next years tax money.....

I'll let you know what they say after my visit today. Hopefully all will go well.

TTYL

please let me know how all goes. I am in a very similar situation and would like to hear your experience. Thanks:jump:

please let me know how all goes. I am in a very similar situation and would like to hear your experience. Thanks:jump:

So I'm back. First off they said healing looks good, just slower than normal, then they gave me a slap on the wrist and a lecture about smoking....

I did not get anything done to my dentures. I tried, but the bone and gums right under my nose are still extremely bruised, and tender, and I couldn't stand the pressure on that spot. I'm going back next week to try again. I was hoping I would be able to handle it today since I have to go back to work tomorrow, but oh well.

I found this site for people getting dentures. Check it out. It has been very helpful to me.

[link removed as website no longer exists]

You may already know of it. Your story of a 7 hour surgery only taking 3 hours is similar to another persons story on there. I was wondering if you are that same person :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yep thats me. stop and say hi on that forum as well. thanks and i will let u know how my appointment goes tomorrow.:cheers:

Can I ask if you have dentures? I guess I'm being a big baby. My extractions went incredibly smooth. No pain during or afterward. But I'm having a big problem with my denture(s). My upper is a partial, but the lower is all but 3 teeth. This is what has been painful. The lower digs into my gum when I bite down. The pain also seems to shift. It first hurt on the left side of my mouth. Then that stopped hurting and it hurt on the right side. It has always hurt in the middle.

It IS getting better and I haven't even had a relining yet. My dentist saw me and said I'm healing remarkably fast so he wants me to come in for it early. But I have to say, I'm feeling very sorry for myself. I feel like I'll never enjoy a good meal again. Sure, I'm learning how to chew now, but it's just not the same... No longer can I just walk past a bowl of fruit and say, "Oh, an apple!" and eat it. The other day, I was driving and was hungry. I couldn't even stop at my favorite sandwich shop. No longer can I just eat things on a whim or because I'm hungry. Not to mention some of my favorite things that I'll probably never be able to eat and enjoy.

Currently, I'm eating mice type food. When I'm in restaurants, I'm sneaking off to the bathroom to take my dentures out and clean them. I guess this is life from now on. At least I don't have to be self conscious about my smile anymore, so that's the one good thing.

Yes, I do have dentures. I have a full upper and a partial lower (I have 8 of my own teeth in the front on the bottom). The partial on the bottom wasn't bad until about the second week, then it started rubbing from my gums shrinking and the partial getting loose. My upper was pure torture until I got my soft relines (ulcerated spots - kind of like canker sores, and they were right where the denture rubbed at the top). It has been a breeze since getting my soft relines, though. I did have to learn to still take it easy when eating now, though, or my gums will get tender from too much pressure.
My bottom partial used to hurt severely in the middle - Almost like it was cutting into my gums and where my tongue connects to the bottom of my mouth. The sides hurt as well, but mainly from the rocking and rubbing when my gums started shrinking. The soft reline helped heaps with that. I now have one bone fragment under control (it is painless now, even when I rub it), but now have a tender spot on the other side. I can't tell if it's a bone fragment or not... All I know is that I'm thankful for the reline, because it would have hurt so much more without it.

I feel the same way. When I went in for all of this work, I kept thinking of all that I would finally get to eat. The only things that I am able to eat now that I wasn't able to eat before, though, are cold things and a few soft kinds of candy. I am appreciative of that, but impatient to be able to use adhesives so I can try new, non-soft things (the slight rocking in my dentures is what keeps me from being able to eat firmer foods - It leaves slightly tender spots on my gums for about a day). Some days I am still drinking Slim Fast and eating sorbet, while other days (like today) I can eat steamed broccoli, noodles, and even sneak in a Reese's peanut butter cup (that was amazing - I haven't been able to eat candy in years because of tooth sensitivity).

It will all come in time, and although it can be very depressing and discouraging, we know that we can smile (just like you said), and we will be able to eat better than we had before once healing is done.

I have found an upside to me not being able to eat very much - I've lost 16 pounds. I've heard of "The Denture Diet" before, and now get to experience it first hand.

Last edited:
Back