• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting all of my teeth removed TERRIFIED

I'm going in for my Post op check up in a little bit, and hopefully they will reline my dentures so they will fit again. My gums are still a little tender so I'm kind of worried about the reline being painful.

I only wore my dentures a few hours on the very first day, but I can say I hated them. They give me a HUGE "monkey" lip, and they were so big I couldn't close my lips together over them. I'm really hoping this can be fixed today.

In my experience, the reline only hurt a bit when the dental assistant put my dentures in for me. I still had a few sore spots, so them being forced in wasn't exactly the most comfortable thing. Afterwards, though, it was wonderful. It's like a pillow for your gums.

I had the same experience with the upper dentures. It actually took me just over 2 weeks to be able to close my lips together completely, and I still can't rub my lips together to even out my chapstick (I'll be 3 weeks post-op on Thursday). I think it's just the fact that my lips have to get used to going over full-size teeth again (they were all broken half off on the top, even in the front), and that there is extra "gum" in the mouth from the denture.

I hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction, and that your healing continues to go well.

hi there, if ur real fear is having ur teeth pulled dont worry, ive recently had all mine out, it was the waiting and the dread that was doing me in, once they were out it was such a relief (im 45). im finding living with dentures hard, but living with loose teeth was also hard.
I only had local anaesthetic and felt no pain at all during the extractions and hadnt much bleeding/swelling afterwards and went back to work within 24 hours. Think positive. good luck

So the procedure was a breeze. All 28 teeth were out in just over an hour, and it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would.

As far as afterward the pain meds he gave me didn't work very well so once the local wore off I had to take my dentures out even though i was told not to. I ended up having to double the dose and alternate with ibuprofen but the pain is much better now. Next week when the swelling goes down, and gums can handle it I'll be getting a reline so I can wear my dentures again.

So far I haven't been able to eat anything. I've been drinking protein shakes, but I can't wait for real food. Maybe tomorrow. I don't think today.

You might not see this, but now we're 6 years down the line how do you feel about your dentures? Did your husband go through with.removal?

I ask as I'm 29 with bad teeth (no dentist as a kid, phobia and neglect on my part as an adult) and am considering whether I would have less stress if I did what you did...

Back