• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do braces feel like?

D

drummerswife

As you most of you probably know from my other posts, by the end of the month, I will be getting braces on my bottom teeth. Getting my teeth straightened has been a lifelong dream of mine and now its finally almost here. While I am really excited about this, I am also a tiny bit nervous because this is something completely new for me and Im not sure what to expect.
I would love to hear from anyone who has or has had braces. I am getting the traditonal "railroad tracks" braces because DR. Katy feels this is best in my case and with the added benefit that insurance will cover 60% of the cost. I am wondering what its going to feel like to have metal brackets and wires in my mouth? Do the brackets ever fall off? Do they make your teeth hurt? Are they affected by hot or cold? Are there things you cant eat with braces. I have this terrible vision of brackets falling off in my food.
Well, anyway I could use some feedback. After I get the bootom teeth done, I will getting braces on the top so I will be wearing them for most of the next 4 years.
Thanks!

Hi drummerswife,

I don't have braces on and I don't know what they feel like. But I am writing because just like you it is also somethng I am looking foward to. I am currently having treatment and hopefully things are done soon so that I can fulfill my dream of wearing braces. Wearing braces is my ending goal even at my age which Is not something that bothers me in the least as long as I have a pretty smile. Please get back to the forum and let me know how it went for you. I sure would love to know of your experience so I know what to expect for mines. I wish you best of luck.:XXLhug:

As you most of you probably know from my other posts, by the end of the month, I will be getting braces on my bottom teeth. Getting my teeth straightened has been a lifelong dream of mine and now its finally almost here. While I am really excited about this, I am also a tiny bit nervous because this is something completely new for me and Im not sure what to expect.
I would love to hear from anyone who has or has had braces. I am getting the traditonal "railroad tracks" braces because DR. Katy feels this is best in my case and with the added benefit that insurance will cover 60% of the cost. I am wondering what its going to feel like to have metal brackets and wires in my mouth? Do the brackets ever fall off? Do they make your teeth hurt? Are they affected by hot or cold? Are there things you cant eat with braces. I have this terrible vision of brackets falling off in my food.
Well, anyway I could use some feedback. After I get the bootom teeth done, I will getting braces on the top so I will be wearing them for most of the next 4 years.
Thanks!
Hey as a child/teenager I had train track braces top and bottom! I'll try and answer your questions!
The stuff they used to mould my teeth tasted of tropical fruit :-* it was yummy and as soon as it got a tiny bit uncomfortable it was over and the impressions were done!!!:jump:
It does take some adjusting but it's not painful having them to start with, just feels a bit alien to the mouth!
I ate whatever with my braces and never had a bracket fall off ever! I ate toffees and everything hehe!
When they tighten them as the course continues I found I had some aching but nothing too major and with a couple of pain killers after a few days I was fine!
I'd say they are only affected by hot and cold during the achey after period of tightening otherwise I found mine fine.
I just ate whatever as a rebellious teenager but some people avoid coffee/cola/staining beverages/foods(e.g. the spices that can colour in curry) as this can discolour the little "elastics" (thats what I called them) that go around each bracket and also obviously it may colour the teeth under too.
I mean I had mine on for over 2 and a half years, bottom on slightly shorter than top and stupidly at that age I just brushed and mouthwashed and I didn't floss! However even after they took my braces off after a quick hygienist appointment I had no stains really.
I hope I have helped a bit and if you need to know anything else please just let me know

Hi DW, I wore the railroad track braces (full mouth at the same time) from the end of 7th grade through most of tenth grade. In the beginning I was "bad" and didn't wear the head gear which was why I had the braces on an extra year. I was very lucky to have had a great orthodontist. He was actually my first positive doctor experience and one I came to admire. The worst parts of braces for me, if I remember correctly, were the initial spacers and having a couple of the very back ones put on. It wasn't fun having them tightened but I don't remember it being really painful either. Mine never fell off or anything though at first a mouth full of metal sure felt odd. come the wonderful day, they were removed, my teeth felt naked without them!

As for foods you can and can't eat with them, I think only real sticky things such as gummy worms or other candy that "pulls." Possibly popcorn was also a no-no.

If you want, you can always request either numbing gel and/or (if needed) a few drops of LA before the braces are put on.

Good luck and I'm excited for you since this time, this dental venture is truly all about positive you and a true "next" step if that makes sense.

Mona

Thanks ladies!!! Love the feedback. And yes I will definetly keep you all posted about my braces adventure. I talked to Dr. Katy's office yesterday and they said they are just waiting to get the approval from insurance and then they can set my appointment. Because of the cost involved, insurance requires pre-authorization. Dr. Katy's office manager said this usually takes about 2 weeks.
Somebody asked me the other day if I will feel self conscious wearing braces for the first time at my age (49) I smiled and said "Not at all" The truth is, despite my bit of nervousness about getting them put on, I am so excited to finally be getting my teeth straightened out that I will wear my braces proudly and I dont care who notices them!
I never got braces as om as teen when most people do because my parents couldnt afford them. So, now its finally my turn.

Thanks ladies!!! Love the feedback. And yes I will definetly keep you all posted about my braces adventure. I talked to Dr. Katy's office yesterday and they said they are just waiting to get the approval from insurance and then they can set my appointment. Because of the cost involved, insurance requires pre-authorization. Dr. Katy's office manager said this usually takes about 2 weeks.
Somebody asked me the other day if I will feel self conscious wearing braces for the first time at my age (49) I smiled and said "Not at all" The truth is, despite my bit of nervousness about getting them put on, I am so excited to finally be getting my teeth straightened out that I will wear my braces proudly and I dont care who notices them!
I never got braces as om as teen when most people do because my parents couldnt afford them. So, now its finally my turn.

great to hear that! best of luck to you :)

Thanks sauce!

Back