• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate dentures

A

Ajay0511

Hi all, 3 weeks ago I had to have all my remaining teeth extracted, and was given immediate dentures, since then I have asked my dentist to adjust them twice as they were painful to wear, I also told him that the plates were too thick and that I couldn't put them in because I was wanting to gag all the time. He shaved some of the plates down ( all good) that was 2 weeks ago.

I went back to him last week and explained they were still too big and too thick and so asked if they could be made thinner, as i had read somewhere they could, he basically told me that they couldnt do that because it would make them weak, so I have had to resort to a dental technican directly. He has made the top set thinner and has taken some more off the back of the plate, However, though that has made a huge difference, and I can now wear both bottom and top together, I am still struggling to talk without sounding like I have a lisp, and struggle with the letters S H and the F's, Has anyone got any tips of how I can get to talk properly other than reading a book or talking my family's ears off. I never had much self confidence in the first place, and this has really taken it's toll, even though I have all the teeth again I am reluctant to smile in case people can notice the difference.

Any help please and much appreciated x

Hey
Iam answering without seeing you but generally speaking, an immdiate denture is usually not suitable after having multiple extractions (more than two teeth). It might be that new dentures are needed.

Hi Dr Daniel

Thanks for your reply, I have been told I will require a new set of dentures made, however the dentist is reluctant to make them as I have been told that until the gums have healed and gone smooth over the sockets there is no point making them. So have been told to basically have to wait it out. By getting a new set will the problem with the speech eliminate if they are made and fit properly? I am in the UK by the way.

Back