• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please Help Someone.. Please..!! x

L

laura..01

Hello..

Help.. Really Need Some Advice & Support..!!
Basically I Got Upper Left Second Molar Extracted Last Monday.. ( 1 Week Ago ). Anyway I Went Back On The Tuesday Because They Didn't Put Everything On The Referal Form.. Dentist Also Said I Had A Good Blood Clot.. Wednesday I Go To The Dentist Because I Had A Lump On My Gum Above Where The Tooth Has Been Took Out.. He Said Its An Infection/Dry Socket.. Bare In Mind.. Hardly Any Pain.. A Little Ache.. They Put A Dressing In & Give Me Antibiotics.. Thursday Got Back To The Dentist.. Put Another Dressing In.. Its A Dry Socket.. Friday Go Back.. Another Dressing.. Sat Go Back ( Definetely A Dry Socket.. Hardly Any Pain ) Sunday Go Back, Can See The Bone..!! Today Go Back & The Dentist Can't See No Bone & Thinks Its An Infection.. Got A Little Bruising From When They Pulled It Out.. Lump I Had On Gum Has Nothing To Do With These Problems.. Sorry For The Rant But I'm Completely At My Wits End.. Been In Hospital Twice Over The Worry.. ( Have OCD & Anxiety ). Dentist Said I Probably Did Have A Case Of Dry Socket.. But Now Its An Infection, Its Healing Well But With An Infection.. He's Prescribed Me More Antibiotics.. Please Someone Help..!!

Laura..x

I know what it is to have an infected dry socket, the pain drove me to hospital, so my heart goes out to you.

If you have been given antibiotics, then all you can do is give them time to work and the swelling and pain will subside eventually and then the healing will begin.

In my case, I had a week of a disgusting almost metallic taste in my mouth as the infection gradually oozed out and slowly began to heal. I think if in a few days things do not improve, contact your dentist again.

Did You Have Much Pain With This Because I've Not Had Much.. I'm Really Pleased About This But I Don't Get Why I'm Not In Really Bad Pain.. The Dentist Said Today That I Probably Did Have A Dry Socket & Now Its Just An Infection And Its Healing Over Nicely..?? x

Did You Have Much Pain With This Because I've Not Had Much.. I'm Really Pleased About This But I Don't Get Why I'm Not In Really Bad Pain.. The Dentist Said Today That I Probably Did Have A Dry Socket & Now Its Just An Infection And Its Healing Over Nicely..?? x

If thats what the dentist has said, then you need to take his word for it. Its not going to heal overnight and is going to take a few days or so, you just need to take the meds and be careful. Avoid smoking, drinking with straws and spitting for a few days.

It also sounds like you were lucky with the Dry Socket. The pain from a Dry Socket can totally overwhelm you, and pain meds can do nothing to help. The only treatment is to go to the dentist (or emegency hospital) and get the socket packed with wadding which will temporarily plug the hole and give your gums the chance to heal.

Back