• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The day before my first appointment in 8 years and...

jjh6ytrh

jjh6ytrh

My appointment is tomorrow at 11:20 AM EST. Since Friday (when I made the appt.) I have not been overly-anxious (no more than usual). I have had to stop my mind from thinking about how "horrible" its going to be a few times, but nothing major. Someone mentioned in another post about the fear of the unknown and I think that is what it is more for me (in addition to my generalized anxiety disorder). Now though, the day before and I can feel the anxiety building up a little bit, not too bad - but present. I know that I can cancel at any time if I want to, but while part of me (my anxious, irrational side) wants to, the other part knows this is the first step on a journey that only has an ultimately and ongoing pain-free ending as I will be getting all these bad teeth fixed and looking good!

But, alas it is still there and while I am 95% sure I will end up going, I am 99% sure I will be anxious and it will probably build up as I am going :( .

Want to know something funny - this is just for a consult! (Required by my insurance company) I guess I mentioned the fear of the unknown because the only thing I know they are going to do is a panoramic x-ray (which will be cool because my daughter just had dental week at preschool and wants to see the pictures of my teeth) :).

My teeth are in such bad shape (well the ones that are bad anyway), I am not sure what else to expect. I suppose I will just have to do my best and wing it and realize that I can leave whenever I want. I just hope this surgeon and I connect okay and that he is sympathetic to my situation.

Still worried a bit though....

Mike

Believe it or not, YOU will decide what happens at your consultation. YOU will be in control. A good dentist will "consult", i.e. talk with you to understand your concerns, give you the chance to unload some emotions, learn about you and give you the opportunity to learn about him/her and the dental practice. If you are comfortable, you can opt to let him/her see your mouth (with or without instruments...your call). Xrays will simply require you to stand still while you bite down on a "plate" and the xray machine circles your head.
I found my initial consult so unbelievably liberating that I allowed my dentist to "see me naked" (see my teeth). It all took about two hours (felt like 10 minutes), my husband stayed with me, and I left with a full dental plan and an appointment to begin the very next day!
Wishing you a life-changing day tomorrow, full of reassurance, relief, and pride in yourself!

Well, here I am less than 12 hours away from my appointment tomorrow. I am not any more anxious than I am any other day or time; however, I think that as I get closer to it I will get more anxious. I will certainly be praying more than usual between now and then! Goodnight everyone!

Mike

I hope it went well!

Thanks, though it hasn't happened yet. :) I'm actually in the waiting room right now! I am in the U.S. so it is just now 12:08. They are obviously behind bc my appointment was supposed to be at 11:20. The waiting is the worst part for me bc it gives my anxiety time to fester. But..at least I am here. And all I can keep thinking is "I can leave any time". I'm not going to but I'm not excited about any of this! I've never wanted to actually be at work more in my life! Lol. It actually helps that most of the ppl here are kids and don't seem nervous at all. Oh the joys of being youthful and indifferent. :)

Back