• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What should I eat before IV sedation?

Pianimo

Pianimo

Hi.

Well, I feel a bit daft for asking but, as the title says, I'm not quite sure exactly what I should eat on the days when I'm having a sedation appointment (I'm having probably 3, first one this Friday), and I was just wondering if anyone could help? The instructions I've been given say: "You MUST NOT eat or drink for 2 hours prior to your appointment time. Before this time you should have a light meal e.g. toast, and tea, coffee or fruit juice." I understand this bit! However, my first appointment is at 11am, and the second two at 1.50pm. I'm wondering if this "light" meal is to be the only thing I eat on that day? i.e. Should I skip breaskfast? For the morning appointment that would be ok, but am I also only to have toast all day prior to the afternoon appointments? Sorry if this is a silly question! Thanks.

I would try to eat normally, but have something light 2hrs beforehand. I would also eat something sweet to raise blood sugar. I tend to have a large breakfast for a morning appointment, as I really don't feel like eating afterwards, for fear of dry socket or something, although I may nibble something soft several hours afterwards when the LA's have worn off.

Just realised I forgot to to say thank you to you for replying....so, thank you! :) I'm soooo terrified :scared:, and the less I have to worry about, the better!

I don't normally eat until a couple of hours after I get up anyway, so if I'm sticking with "normal" then breakfast will fall just at "light meal" time before my first appointment. I've decided, I haven't had peanut butter for ages, so I'm going to treat myself to pbj on toast - now I've something I can actually look forward to that day! ;D

have the PB on whole wheat for breakfast and the complex carbs will last much longer. For the late appointment I would have an early breakfast and lunch.

good luck! gotta love sedation.

Thanks...I'm certainly hoping I will!!

Back