• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm so stuck...I just dont know what to do. Help!

• Thread starter Polarpurplebear
  • Start date
Thanks Brit,

The NHS dentist is a young'un - he qualified in 2007. It says on their website he also takes post grad courses but I dont know if endodontics is one of them. I dont think he would rush it - when he saw me last week he told me that if it didn't get better to call back, and book an hours appointment with him to give him plenty of time to do it. So I suppose that's a good sign. I could call him and have a chat I suppose. Luckily the pain is quite muted for the moment so I have a bit of thinking time!

2007 - could be worse it's 2011 now lol. That's 3 years experience. An hour for a front tooth is plenty time.

How is this happening...

Well it's a couple of months on and things aren't going well.

After a lot of thinking I eventually went to a private dentist, one who was recommended by a family member. He has an excellent reputation and he is lovely, and very sympathetic.

I had my root canal done at the end of March. After a week of pain it eased off and I had a lovely pain-free month. And then the pain was back. The dentist took an xray and couldn't see any sign of infection - he gave me antibiotics and said if it didn't get better the root canal would need to be redone.

Unfortunately it didnt get better, so a week and a half ago, we did the retreatment. The dentist admitted he was really surprised it hadn't worked first time - it is my front, central incisor and it wasn't even badly infected. All this has happened because of having a stupid veneer fitted - how I wish I hadn't bothered now. Anyway - he was confident that this retreatment would work.

IT HASN'T :(
Well - not yet at least. 1.5 weeks on I have a dull ache in the tooth and the pain when pressure is on it, which I know is normal after a root canal. But I think it should be feeling better by now if it has worked.

I am terrified. I guess the next step is one more try with an endodontist. If not...apicetomy? Implant? If I think about losing my front tooth I just cry. And no way can I be awake during an extraction like that. And the cost....Im a student, what am I going to do?!!

Why has this happened to me?!! All for a stupid veneer? I could kick myself for being vain enough to want to replace a discoloured front tooth. :(

Has anyone else had a failed retreatment? What did you do...

Back