• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

48 Hours Until My First Appointment In Ten Years

R

Romalotti

After making and then cancelling three appointments over the past year, I have made one for this Thursday and I'm trying very hard to keep it. I have a little bit of money put aside for a change, so if I don't go now, I will end up spending the money on something else and missing the opportunity.

I'm just so terrified of letting a dentist see my mouth, and of what the verdict will be. Some days my tooth discomfort is so bad, it's all I can think about, and I feel that I really WANT to see a dentist. Other days (when my teeth feel ok) I just feel so afraid and can't imagine how I will muster up the strength to sit in that chair.

I am scheduled for an initial exam, cleaning, and X-rays. But I was wondering if it would be OK to ask the dentist if they could just skip the cleaning for this first time. Basically, I am worried about the pain that I'm sure will come from the cleaning. My teeth are in pretty bad shape, and I don't think I can just sit there while someone picks at them for what will surely be a long time.

Is it abnormal to ask to skip the cleaning? And when I do have the cleaning, is it OK to ask the dentist to have novacaine or something?

I really hope that I can get through this. It's like one of my worst fears has come true and I just don't know what will help me deal with it.

Hi, Romalotti! I just had my first appointment in years yesterday. I was terrified, too, but I got through it just fine. And I had the exact same situation--they asked if I wanted a cleaning in addition to the x-rays and exam, and I told them no, I wanted to do that while I was under sedation, and that for today I just wanted to find out what needed to be done and make a plan. They didn't bat an eye, so I don't think it's an unusual request at all. Just explain to them that you have anxiety, and you'd rather wait until you can be numbed, gassed, whatever you prefer. They don't want to cause you pain any more than you want to feel it, so why would they object?

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't cancel--you'll be so relieved once you've had it done and over with. The dread of it is much worse than the reality!

It makes me feel a little better to know that I can wait for the cleaning. I am trying to be positive about letting the dentist see my mouth. My other fear that I can't quite overcome is the fear of how bad the verdict is. I have some teeth near the front that are badly decayed, with a hole in one of them. I'm afraid I will be told they have to be pulled. I may just be overreacting, but it's like I'm preparing for the worst.

Thanks for your support, it really means a lot to me.

I was afraid of showing my mouth, too...I was really ashamed of how bad I'd let it get. But you know, I seriously doubt yours will be the worst they've seen, and even if they are, so what? It's their job to help you. Just the fact that you're there, looking for help and to get healthy teeth is admirable.

And, okay, let's say the worst happens. All your teeth are rotten, you're going to have to pull them all out and get dentures. Even if that's true, it's going to be okay. Lots of people have been through that before, and did just fine. Think what a relief it would be not to have to worry about it anymore! And it's very unlikely that will be the case, anyway. Point is, whatever the verdict is, you're going to be okay. I promise.

Hey Roma--Recently I was in the exact same place as you--TERRIFIED--for
weeks ahead of time---so the first visit all I had was the exam--the x-rays, etc--It was a 2 1/2 hr appt--but I'm not sure exactly what all was done because I asked for nitrous--and they were perfectly fine with that...Without even a cleaning at the first visit..!

And I found that nitrous is my best friend now!!! I can't wait to go back to the dentist!!! :hic: Well, and I also found out that my dentist is the coolest dentist I have ever, ever been too...It's just so different these days..

A good dentist will usually ask you what you are OK with having done at the first appt...They will ask if they can have a look...etc etc...

Dentistry is really changing--I think dentists are finally understanding that
the way to go is the gentle route...and it works!!

You will be OK--I know it doesnt seem like it now--and it probably seems like it will never get over with but just keep coming here for support, and we will be here for you!!

Good for you!!!!:)

I went to the dentist today for the first time in over 20 years! I'm 32 so I was expecting worse case scenario. I've always been embarassed to go because I sucked my thumb as a kid and the dentist scared me into stopping or else I would become brace face. Well needless to say he scared me so much that I stopped going and continued sucking my thumb into my early teens. So finally today I called a dental office who was known for dealing with anxiety, I spoke to someone who sounded so nice and really understood my anxieties. I was planning to make an appointment in a couple of weeks but when they asked if I wanted to come this afternoon I agreed!

i spent a couple of hours there, they really comforted me, took x-rays and radiographs, had my mouth checked out (can't believe it) and met with him to discuss treatment. I was expecteding a dozen or more cavities byt I only had two and need to have two extractions done as well. Booked to do this next week with scaling to follow the week after. Once this work is done I want to look at options for my crooked teeth and spacing. Doc told me that won't be a problem, he can do it in 6 months. He also told me that had I not told him how long I've been away from the dentist, he would have guessed two years.

I feel so awesome for going - for anyone in similar situation, it's never as awful as you think and you will feel so much better for making that first appointment. Good luck.

Well I know it won't be as bad as getting all of my teeth pulled, but I also know that it won't be as simple as getting a few cavities filled. Last night I felt so positive about finally getting my teeth fixed, but this morning I'm back to being horribly nervous. The waiting is the worst part. I should have just waited until Thursday and called in the morning and tried to make a same-day appointment because I just can't stop thinking about it now. I still plan to go, it's just not going to be easy.

Hey Roma--

The waiting SUCKS!!! BIG TIME!!

I made an appt 6 weeks out the first time....way too long to think about it..
I was a complete wreck when I finally got into the appt...I couldn't even
talk right when the dentist came out to the waiting room to meet me!! (It's like I lost my voice or something...)

Anyway, that was 2 months ago...If only I had known that it was so
much easier than I thought it would be...If you read the journals, that's what is said over and over again...

But believe me, that uncertainty is absolute torture!!!! And after my first exam, I had to wait another 1 1/2 weeks to even find out what needed to be done!! (She's really popular--she's that cool!!)

Anyway, my sympathies are with you--I know it's hard to believe that it will be OK, but it will... in the meantime just know that we are still here for you.

You will be so happy to discover the courage and bravery within you!!
:-*

So, how'd it go, Romalotti?

I hope it went well!

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought. I had an exam and x-rays. On April 7, I go back for a deep cleaning and the start of my dental work. I have to see an oral surgeon for a couple extractions in the back, too. I am concerned about the money situation, though. I have about $4500 to spend, but the entire cost is around $8000. Not sure how I'm going to come up with the money.

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought. I had an exam and x-rays. On April 7, I go back for a deep cleaning and the start of my dental work. I have to see an oral surgeon for a couple extractions in the back, too. I am concerned about the money situation, though. I have about $4500 to spend, but the entire cost is around $8000. Not sure how I'm going to come up with the money.
my dentist let me pay some as and when i went in has benn very supportive,i has a phobia for a very long time i went and even tho still scared my dentist is wonderfull and its so nie not being in agony everyday good luck:)

Back